/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1646410534525.png (650x800, 130.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/upgrade-kernel-linux-mint/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tux fux and sux

Anyone knowledgeable about pipewire able to tell me how to force a program to launch with specific sound settings? I know that to some degree the program has complete control over it, but for this rhythm game to run properly I need to have it running with 2 channels instead of 8.
I don't know why there are two of them, the second one is pretty much what I'm aiming for, as far as I can tell it doesn't actually do anything though.

Attached: 1652534179787.png (1278x215, 19.53K)

BASED

Attached: Al_Sneed.png (356x445, 244.29K)

Howdy, so I recently got a new gpu and trying to figure out how to make it work to its full capacity on linux mint, switched from rx 580 to rx 6700xt.
I get some "hardware acceleration not active, check your drivers" message on the top right. For windows, there is the DDU program, but I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point.
Do I need to reinstall Linux mint to fix this? Apologies for the 2 neurons i have left.

Mint comes with a GUI driver management tool. You can probably find it just by searching in the start menu.

lsmod and lspci -knn can give you info about what driver your gpu is using.
the latter command will also tell you your gpu's pci id.
in that command's output, look for an entry with "VGA" in it
check the pci id
search online for the appropriate linux module for that pci id
reconfigure and rebuild your kernel to include that module and exclude whatever graphics driver you were already using

Let me tell you an actual solution, linux mint is probably using an older kernel that doesn't support your new GPU, look up how to use a newer kernel on Linux mint or use a different distro that ships with a newer kernel.
First option is what you should go for first

makeuseof.com/upgrade-kernel-linux-mint/
Here's an article to help you understand how to update the kernel

Is Artix worth it?

If you want to get away from SystemD, sure. But SystemD-less conversions of distros add more hassle. For instance, the Artix wiki sucks, and if you read about a solution on the Arch wiki it may suggest using a SystemD-based solution. When that happens you're essentially on your own.

So I have this old bad boy(found it in dumpster last year). It's really old, but still working. How to put linux in it(I tried to install xubuntu and shit hits the fan REALLY fast in that moment)? Previous thread didn't helped me at all.
>a4-3300m cpu
>3gb ram
>radeon hd 6470m 1gb
>eh, should run just about anything
Tell me about it. So what did I do: format disc C completely(because it was with bsoding from start windows xp), started installing xubuntu, finished installation - and now it's not fucking working! All I see is a black screen. What I did wrong?
>do you see grub at least?
>like what happens exactly
I don't see anything at all, just a black screen. It sometimes gives me several seconds to enter in system(when I trying to get into grub) - but after that is total freezing coming(can't type login and password for entering) and only solution for that is hard restart(unplugging psu and battery). Maybe I am totally can't into linux and always be on windows.

Attached: c257e5007086181 (1).png (2836x2640, 1.62M)

Did you test the hard drive for errors? acer, like many laptop makers generally cheap out on the hard drive.

Drop an A8-3520m in it for max performance.

And how da fuck should I do that? It's a notebook.

From my (retarded) understanding everything is solvable if you just have elogind.
I just switched to Artix and am planning to use it until it breaks. I don't really hate systemd that much so I don't mind going back to Arch.

Ok, I think I managed to find the module for my specific pcid inside the amdgpu tree on the git.kernel.org site, used that "dmesg | grep firmware" command to check if any errors came back and listed a specific bin, hopefully I'm on the right track.
Just reading up on how to reconfigure and rebuild while trying to exclude the driver I'm using at the moment.
I'm already on the 5.14.0-1038-oem kernel

Shit.

Why are the bluetooth drivers so shit? You pretty much MUST use a dongle to get a decent wireless mouse/headset experience

Because phone / table manufacturers drive Bluetooth development, and they have the luxury of being able to cherry pick kernels. I have a little box full of

Ok, I finally managed to get rid of the popup on the top right for hardware acceleration, I just downloaded the latest firmware package, extracted in its own folder, opened the directory in the terminal and ran
sudo cp -R * /lib/firmware/
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
Rebooted and now it detects my gpu correctly, thanks to those 2 lads for the help.