/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
&& fglt.nlhttps://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1625899327657.jpg (2272x1704, 693.72K)

How do I shrink gnome's window buttons?
This is my gtk.css file
window.ssd headerbar.titlebar { padding-top: 1px; padding-bottom: 1px; min-height: 0; }

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar button.titlebutton { height: 12px; width: 12px;padding:0; -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.5); }

/* shrink headebars */ headerbar { min-height: 38px; padding-left: 2px; /* same as childrens vertical margins for nicer proportions */ padding-right: 2px; }

headerbar entry, headerbar spinbutton, headerbar button, headerbar separator { margin-top: 2px; /* same as headerbar side padding for nicer proportions */ margin-bottom: 2px; }

/* shrink ssd titlebars */ .default-decoration { min-height: 0; /* let the entry and button drive the titlebar size */ padding: 2px }

.default-decoration .titlebuttontitlebutton { max-height: 14px; /* tweak these two props to reduce button size */ max-width: 14px; }

I copied it both in my gtk-3.0 and gtk-4.0 just in case and restarted it with alt+f2 r

Besides hibernation is there literally no reason these days to not use zram swap? Or can zram swap deal with that too?

I just want to keep using GTK2.

Attached: images.jpg (239x211, 9.01K)

In a perfect world I could continue using LXDE forever but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world.

It was a fun ride, now it's time to embrace the warm Plasma glow.

Attached: MK1-Dark.png (5120x2880, 2.27M)

I bought a t440p for class this summer, and when I get a good weekend, im going to try to install linux.

no /fag/ up so i'm asking here
anyone know how to adjust the color temp on an apple cinema hd display? official docs say to use mac system settings but i don't have one. found a utility for linux called acdcontrol but apparently that's only able to set brightness
atm the screen is basically piss yellow, is there a way to reset it to factory or sth at least?

Attached: wtf.jpg (816x612, 45.51K)

Good luck user. Either go with Mint for something simple or Arch for something more technical.

>However, a full blown Kerberos setup is difficult to set up and integrate.
>Samba is much easier to secure and more user friendly.
I've already got an smb share set up but when I'm browsing the files it can slow down and become noticeably laggy. I had always heard nfs was faster and it certainly appears to be for me. I'll look into implementing kerberos to secure things and hopefully I'll be able to get it working.

lxde-gtk3 exists in Arch repo.

It's not as speedy.

I created it on an older Debian kernel and it can only be mounted on that Debian kernel. dmesg shows this:
[176461.818196] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Can't find valid F2FS filesystem in 1th superblock [176461.818550] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Magic Mismatch, valid(0xf2f52010) - read(0x0) [176461.818552] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Can't find valid F2FS filesystem in 2th superblock

Code block messed up the formatting when pasting. Let's try that again:
[176461.818196] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Can't find valid F2FS filesystem in 1th superblock
[176461.818550] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Magic Mismatch, valid(0xf2f52010) - read(0x0)
[176461.818552] F2FS-fs (sdb1): Can't find valid F2FS filesystem in 2th superblock

Godspeed, user. Please report back with your progress, I'm curious if it's feasible at all to set this up at home.

Attached: 1653552971525.jpg (568x568, 66.28K)

If you're on a modern Kernel use ksmbd instead of Samba.

How do you know if it was speedier, user?

Attached: index.jpg (228x221, 10.93K)

I mean I've tried both. the GTK3 variant is clunkier and shit like obconf doesn't even work.
It's very obviously a failed experiment.

How can I improve KDE font rendering?
I thought that it's an openSUSE issue, but after checking out Kubuntu it seems like default setup is identical (aa: on, subpixel: rgb, hinting: slight), and they both feel inferior to GNOME 3 rendering for some reason and I can't understand why.
Or should I just get 4k monitor and it will be perfect?

>Just figured out that virtualbox-guest-utils has a systemd service you need to activate to get it working

Attached: 1644032661047.jpg (408x439, 50.27K)

two options:
- install gentoo and maintain your own packages for gtk2 stuff
- install slackware or something you never update that you can install gtk2 stuff on
- have sex, touch grass and get over it