Netbooks

why did they die out? I bought picrelated brand new back in like 2010 or something and then all of a sudden netbooks aren't a thing anymore. i don't know what to do with it now. it was a pretty handy little machine back then, IMO. does anybody else own an old netbook? what can i do with it theses days? it runs windows XP which isn't updated anymore obviously.

Attached: Samsung N120.jpg (768x576, 32.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream-14-Laptop-Intel-Celeron-N4120-4GB-RAM-64GB-eMMC-Jet-Black-Windows-11-Home-4-cf2121wm/406197417?athbdg=L2000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No DVD/CD player in computer = junk to 80% of people in the last decade. It was the only method to obtain high quality content as internet speeds above 10-20 Mbps weren't that common and often had to be shared by the entire family.

Because to most normies, the keyboard was always weird. Make it an iPad

because of intel atom

There's a reason they all ran windows XP when windows 7 was already out for several years, They were only popular because they were half the price of every other laptop, first and second gen intel atoms were infamously dogshit, so much so that the only thing keeping them from being ewaste immediately was their better than average integrated graphics and H.264 acceleration for youtube videos.

If you want the modern day equivalent, buy a celeron-based refurbished chromebook and put bare metal linux on it.

Tablet/Phone and chromebook killed it

Forgot my pic, these are regularly available under $100 every black friday, refurbished is often cheaper.
The most recent bargain basement models are Celeron N4020-based which is more than enough for web browsing and recently got support in mrchromebox's coreboot install scripts.

Attached: chromebook.jpg (1836x3264, 1.93M)

This, even after switching to the ION platform they sucked hard dick and often had 1 Stick of ram options. SSD's were still expensive at the time so getting anything over 32GB was cost prohibitive. I remember upgradng mine from 512MB or something to 2GB, was okay but if you tried anything on the intel atom with it's IGP you were sitting on something ready to lag.

Right now it's easier/better to just get a tablet with a keyboard case. It actually will work.

>why did they die out?
Underpowered, cheaper full-size laptops came to market, and most importantly, iPad. Since Microshaft couldn't produce a non-bloated operating system, Chrome OS and Chromebooks came to fill that niche left behind by the above options.

As previously stated, no optical drive for normies and tablets were right around the corner.
I have a decent Thinkpad netbook. I got a good deal on it and I had extra ram and an SSD to pair with it. Only problem is that it had quite the large bezel, but it had an actual x64 Intel cpu. I also had an earlier HP netbook which was cute and I thought the keyboard was okay. It had that shitty Atom 1.6ghz processor that 90% of the netbooks used. The trackpad was shit.

LOL no, optical meant nothing to anybody in the past decade.

99.9% of netbooks ran Windows 7 or 8. You never owned or looked at netbooks and you literally think that the original Asus was the only netbook.

No cheap laptops ever came to market like this. Only netbooks ever filled the niche.

>No cheap laptops ever came to market like this. Only netbooks ever filled the niche.
walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream-14-Laptop-Intel-Celeron-N4120-4GB-RAM-64GB-eMMC-Jet-Black-Windows-11-Home-4-cf2121wm/406197417?athbdg=L2000
Underpowered cheaper full size laptop for uninformed people to buy someone who will hate using it.

>No cheap laptops ever came to market like this. Only netbooks ever filled the niche.
there was a time in like 2010-2013 where FAGMAN+dell+HP hadn't quite realized that moore's law was dead and that they couldnt sell everyone a new computer every year, and they produced TONS of cheap business-oriented machines with decent specs and actual usable IO. the result is that there's still dell latitudes, stinkpads and optiplexes from 2012 floating around in 2022

then again, you are an absolutely retarded reddit-spacing mongoloid, so who cares about any of this. inb4 you reply with another overconfident fag lie
>99.9% of netbooks ran Windows 7 or 8.
lol no, lots ran XP well into the adoption of 7
capitalizing and punctuating your sentences is a tell-tale sign of a retard telling retarded lies on the internet

>LOL no, optical meant nothing to anybody in the past decade.
When Netbooks were out CD's and DVD's were still common for students to use as medium for installing software

>99.9% of netbooks ran Windows 7 or 8.
That's when Nvidia ION came to be, up till then it was XP or Win7 Starter. None of them ran 8 until they essentially entered the DOA tablet era.

>Asus was the only netbook.
Asus was basically the only company decent enough to ship with 1 GB ram, I don't recall how many ACER shit stain netbooks I had in college from my internship come across us because AYO DIS SLOW IT A NEW COMPOTAH. only to see it running 512MB ram and a 80GB 4200RPM drive.

I got an Acer Aspire One D255 from my friend's sister back in early 2012, when I was still in second year of university. She said it "stopped working", but it turns out the issue was a dead hard drive. I swapped in a $60 Kingston 64 GB SSD and for the next few years it was a nice lightweight alternative to my T500. The battery life (8-9 hours with Linux) was amazing for the time period and price point. I didn't realize it at the time, but I appreciated that it was just clean x86, rather than the locked-down bullshit you see from so many modern devices. The only really limiting factor was the shitty 1024x600 screen.

The thing is, most people who bought netbooks didn't care if it was clean x86, nor were they using it as a shitposting machine to complement their $2,000 Thinkpad. No, most netbook buyers were office wagies or poor niggers who just wanted to get on the internet. With improvements to tablets and especially to smartphones, the raison d'etre for a lot of netbooks basically just evaporated.

My Acer actually ran Windows 7 starter edition competently. All or substantially all of the dual-core Atoms came with Win 7, the Windows XP machines were really only a pre-2010 thing. Personally, I opted for the then-new Ubuntu 12.04 (released literally days before I came into possession of the computer) and it was reasonably fast for the 2 years of heavy usage that it saw in university, and then the 3 additional years of sporadic usage after that.

>there was a time in like 2010-2013 where FAGMAN+dell+HP hadn't quite realized that moore's law was dead and that they couldnt sell everyone a new computer every year, and they produced TONS of cheap business-oriented machines with decent specs and actual usable IO. the result is that there's still dell latitudes, stinkpads and optiplexes from 2012 floating around in 2022
Unless you're actually doing media production most people can still get by perfectly well with a 10 year old decent business laptop and probably will for a few years yet until Windows 11 forces them to junk their machines or else move to linux, so most of them will junk their machines.

>My Acer actually ran Windows 7 starter edition competently.
Really depends, I know a lot that still came with XP while shipping with Win7 Starter compatibile. Yeah near the end when netbooks actually started shipping with 2GB ram and the Atoms with 1MB cache came around, sure but for most their lives netbooks were XP for cost sakes. The cheap ones were always XP or Linux.

Tablets and cheaper regular laptops replaced it.

Most company issued computers are just excel+outlook machines, I doubt they will replace them if it's not broken.

How's kernel driver support? Did you have to recoompile with patches?

tablets happened. i like the foldability and versitiliy of my netbook though. i like the 3 usb ports and hdmi out and ethernet port

Attached: 1653124771953.gif (400x400, 797.78K)

No, retards, most of these products ran Win 7 or 8. XP with the multifinger touch thing was a placeholder.

And no, most of them didn't have a small amount of ram either. Majority had 2GB by the time most manufacturers were adopting the idea.

initially people thought they were cute and they might have a use for them, soon they discovered they were useless dogshit and word got around, also the ipad.