UMPC thread

Do you ever wonder how portable computing could have turned out if dumbed down smartphones and mobile-first interfaces never took off?

Attached: IMG_0134.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 73.25K)

just buy an 11 inch laptop ffs. i have midget hands and felt uncomfortable using my friend's GPD

11" ARM phone CPU 2in1 tablet-laptop best form factor

Attached: 498yh.jpg (499x665, 64.51K)

is that a chromebook?

I ordered one of those recently, planning to put Alpine on it

I put alpine on my fujitsu fmv biblo and there was too many memory leaks. Its doing fine with devuan x86 right now.

I wanted a UMPC too, but those vaio P "lifestyle PCs" are famously unusable, their integrated gfx predate intel open source drivers, so you can't even get them to run linux graphically or anything other than period correct windows, the battery life was famously bad too, less than 2 hours when they were new, the entire product line was style over substance.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-24 19.04.36.png (442x245, 44.69K)

let's be real, you know nothing on the topic.

Attached: csm_IMG_20211113_190500_fd7055d8e7.jpg (738x354, 88.18K)

This is what you need, 10 inch, x86 CPU, detachable keyboard. I plan to get the Pro variant since the Atom processor is really weak.

OPs design is too ancient, its simply to small to be convenient. The UMPC tradition lives on in Ultrabooks, convertibles and similar devices.

Attached: Tastatur-Erneuerung.jpg (4000x2250, 1.9M)

A long time ago I used to have something like that, I was too gamer consoomerist at the time to truly appreciate it and the technology wasn't quite there yet for it to work and it isn't truly there yet now but we're almost there, very close to something portable, powerful, usable, versatile, and most importantly, efficient. 3-4 years give or take, depends on progress but I believe that's the time frame, I hate giving time frames.

Attached: AspireSwitch10.png (536x536, 231.39K)

Those devices are useless for gayming. At least the Atom based ones. The old ones were even worse. Something like pic related would handle 1-2 tabs max. Technology was simply not ready for it as you said.

Nowadays you can get decent performance (for browsing/office) with 10h+ battery lifetime in a slim and portable device. Efficiency and battery technology only improves, though its also the slimness of the devices that reduces the possible runtimes. You can't expect such to be powerful if it has to be lightweight, long running and portable. It is *relatively* powerful compared to a 10 years old desktop PC. The newer dual and quadcore x86 will most likely perform similar to older desktop parts at a much lower power draw.

Attached: Steht von allein.jpg (2272x1704, 1.13M)

Surface Pro X with SQ2

I would love a low-power, modern UMPC but it doesn't exist. all modern UMPCs have active cooling for their Intel i6,000,000 processors

also chromebooks are only a little bigger but are like 1/10 the price

Inexpensive and underpowered celeron-based 11 inch chromebooks are this decade's netbook, they're just as useful while actually giving you a usable keyboard if you need a portable long battery life Linux machine that you don't care too much about, just unplug the battery connector and flash them with mrchromebox's coreboot scripts to enable UEFI.

Attached: 20220524_160712.jpg (3264x1836, 1.72M)

they're even better if you get them as surplus from a school or something because they are just fucking EVERYWHERE. may as well use them before they get put in a landfill.

too bad ChromeOS is way faster and more efficient than Linux

based trips and chromebookpilled, now if Linux bare metal isn't a requirement to you, ARM chromebooks are coming to the mainstream market. Afaik there isn't a method for bare metal Linux on ARM chromebooks so any Linux implementation has to be done through the container but that's not a bad trade off for even more stupidly long battery efficiency, at the cost of lower performance and lost legacy software.

based and zrampilled

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-24 21.02.20.png (355x195, 16.62K)

Using the GPD Win 3, will upgrade to the Aya Neo Slide as soon as it launches.

Attached: yee.png (1388x450, 795.79K)

I used to have GPD Pocket 2 (picture related, though not my piece) for a while.
It was fun to have for a while, but then you realize it's still pretty shit.

It's not that great for typing or using, and it's not as portable and usable as a smartphone. I still like it more than a tablet.

Also they never got Linux really working without installing random binaries, and once I tried to install clean Windows instead of their pre-installed garbage, all the drivers broke. So... yeah. It was not great.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 157.05K)

I'd kill for a modern slimmer LTE Vaio UX

Attached: file.png (1009x1000, 494.87K)