/Video Encoding/

I've been reencoding some videos with Handbrake to save space. Playing around with different video and audio codec settings to get the best balance of quality, file size, and encode time. I'm new to this though, lots to learn.
For these X-Files episodes, I used:
>x265
>crf=24
>medium encode speed
>denoise filter: light, film
>audio: 80kbps AAC
File the file size to ~26%, saving 50.6 GB of disk space. This bottom scene with the chainlink fence and tall grass shows the biggest difference.
I think I should have used Opus 64kbps for the audio, seeing as the some of these source files have

Attached: 1626277115944.jpg (2467x3401, 2.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

x265.readthedocs.io/en/stable/presets.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>accepting anything other than a remux
why would you ever do this

What would be the point of that?

you're damaging the quality of your own files
just go buy a big hard drive, with the prevalence of streaming everything is bitstarved enough already

The source is shit quality and bloated to begin with. It's 90's tv shows, it was kino at 240p played back on CRT televisions from VHS recordings. I just want the most compact file size possible seeing as I might only rewatch a couple episodes a year. There are films that warrant high quality and large file sizes, this doesn't fall into that category.

Right looks like shit. I'm sure you can save some space without making the entire thing look like a blurry mess.

Do the source files look that much better to justify 4x the disk space?
What encoder settings would you suggest?
Saving space is the primary goal, I'm willing to compromise on quality, but want to find the best balance. I'm not archiving BBC Planet Earth documentaries where visual fidelity is crucial, it's a fucking 1990's television drama that was perfectly enjoyable at VHS quality.

You've crushed all the detail out of the image with the file set on the right. Pack up your things, you're fired.

>crf=24

Attached: brain_damage.jpg (640x645, 68.77K)

Not one of you niggers have suggested alternative encoder settings.

Attached: 1623695821380.png (1022x731, 642.76K)

Yeah, HDDS are cheap these days and there's no excuse to not have a 8tb+ HHD for your media

Electricity is cheap if you're not a 3rd world poorfag, no excuse not to have a 1200W PSU to drive your 600W GPU and 300W CPU. Yet seething about housefire hardware is one of Any Forums's favorite past times.

#standard settis
find -s -E . -regex ".*\.(avi|mpg|mkv|mp4|m4v|webm)" \
-exec ffmpeg -i {} \
-map 0 \
#-vf crop=0:0:0:0,scale=0:0,setsar=1/1 \
-c:v libx265 -preset medium -x265-params crf=22 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le \
-c:a libopus -af "channelmap=channel_layout=5.1" \
-map_metadata -1 {}_out.mkv \;
For animation I alter the crf to 28 or even 30, sometimes I go to 21 on video with features that seem blurred by x265, not often, Sometimes with the stereo I increase the bitrrate to 128k, also not often.Eventually you anticipate what a particular source needs to look subjectively right on your equipment..You should probably elliminate the denoise filter and use 96kbs Opus, the lib default.

>I think I should have used Opus 64kbps for the audio, seeing as the some of these source files have

The housefire thing is overblown. If you limited that 600W GPU to 300W you'd probably maintain 95% of its performance.

Thank you for a non-shitpost response.
What does "-pix_fmt yuv420p10le \" do?
>You should probably elliminate the denoise filter
The source files had a lot of noise though, basically just static. I tested with no denoising filter and it significantly increased the file size. Did a bunch of tests with other denoising settings and light, film seemed to give the best result.
I tried lower CRF settings (20 and 22) but after comparing the samples, I couldn't tell any difference on the vast majority of the scenes given the low quality source.

The 10 bit color space seems to me to yield smoother transitions between gradations of similar colors, like when blocking effects are noticeable in dark areas, the gradations of color are finer and thus while the blocking may still be there it is less visible, at least it seems to me.

I've been reencoding some animations, like Southpark episodes that are a bloated 180MB each.
I've got them down to ~35MB and the quality looks the same to me (x265 reencode on the right).
I ended up using crf 24 (raising it didn't meaningfully improve the file size or encode time). No denoising filters or anything. Used the "animation" encoder preset (x265.readthedocs.io/en/stable/presets.html) on fast speed. Tried slow and it actually increased the file size

Can you guys tell me more about audio codec options?
If ripping from a bluray or dvd, passthrough of the AAC or AC3 would be best so there is no loss and compatibility is maximized?
When reencoding audio is desirable, what factors determine your choice of codec? Opus seems the best from a technological stand stand point, but I assume its compatibility with older hardware is limited.

>If your goal is to get a smaller filesize to put the series on your tablet or phone for a trip or something then sure
My media HDD is reporting sector errors and could fail imminently. I've already ordered a new 12TB, and backed up all the high priority stuff, but my backup space is limited and some of these shows I want to keep but seldom watch are taking up a disproportionate amount of storage. I also share files on usb drives with my family members, and they don't have dozens of TB of storage, nor do they care about remuxes or FLAC audio and shit.

Attached: 1633781139540.png (1245x383, 527.12K)

When should you use 10-bit x265 over 8-bit? I heard it claimed that 10-bit is better even when reencoding 8-bit sources, is that true?
I did some test runs with 10-bit x265, but if I recall, it was the difference in encoding time that made me choose the standard x265 encoder

>x265
Ngmi.
H.265 is obsolete now.
SVT-AV1 beats x265 in performance and efficiency.

ive heard shit about AV 1 now, what happened to it?

It's being used and adopted. All the latest GPUs can decode it and next gen Intel chips GPUs will support encode too. YouTube has been serving it for years already, and so do other AOM members like Netflix.

>x265
Saged, reported, hidden, called the cops, called the Fire Department, called pizza hut, called the USN, called the Royal Navy, called the Red Army, called the FBI. called the CIA, called Interpol, called the KGB, called the USMC, called the USAF, called the Royal Air force, called MI 6, called Scotland Yard, called the US National Guard of every state, called NYPD, called Obama, called the Queen, called Putin, called David Cameron, called every Governor of every US State, used my time phone to call Winston Church hill, As well as Hitler, Stalin, Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, Montezuma, ever Caesar, and Gilgamesh, called US Army, called British Army in every era, called every phone sexline, called papa john's, called the US Coast Guard, called my State Senators, called my Senators, called every republican in the US, called Dr. Who, called the Pope, called my local Gang lords, called the State Patrol of ever state west of the Mississippi, called all of my local news channels, called Star Fleet, called The Sun, called The national enquirer, called CNN, called Scot Pelly, called Steven Colbert, called half of the Mexican Drug Cartels, called Nintendo, called the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, called the head of the Illuminati, called ever free mason, called bilderberg, called my neighbors, called the mayor of ever city in France, called my mom, called the Emperor of Man, and called every school district in Canada.