Why Did Steam Machine Fail?

Attached: SteamMAchine.jpg (1052x592, 47.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well since steam doesn't make games anymore they're just selling prebuilt pcs and the prebuilt pc market is over saturated

It came out four years before Proton. It didn't stand a chance.

Steam OS was a mess, no proton, no install base for companies to sell too. Though I might build one once Steam OS 3.0 drops.

Too split between markets without properly meeting anyone's needs, whether the right price, upgrade path, versatility, performance, and so on. The Steam Deck as an example is very different because they're providing a direct competitor to a Nintendo Switch-style product while enabling people to invest into or transfer the PC platform and its significantly more vast game set, emulators, and customizable user experience. The Steam Machine tried to market to casuals improperly by spreading their focus too widely without the software support (at the time) to back it. You can consider it a beta for the more (comparatively) refined Steam Deck, which targets casuals and frequent travelers the most.

>once Steam OS 3.0 drops.
thought its already out

Proton wasn't a thing and prebuilt PCs are only appealing to people who think "fuck it, just give me something that works", which is a group that doesn't overlap with people willing to put up with any distro of Linux.

Because what the hell is a steam machine? It was a big nothing, a prebuilt PC, it wasn't even a standardized spec to build around. Just a really half baked idea that only got the limited audience it did off of valves name.

Not in a public "grab your ISO from steam" way, it's only for the deck at the moment. Theres is a janky hacked version out though.

It lacked games. Now with proton they may make profit. But aint no point with the succes of the deck.

Marketed as a high end console when they were over priced pre built PC with middling specs. The are two main reasons people pick consoles cost of entry and ease of use, you plug it in a it just werks. it failed both points.

Does the hacked version even boot on pc?

Because it's just a regular pc.

github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso

Try it.

They didn't release the reference design and relied OEMs to make their own hardware

In all honesty I wouldn't mind if Valve just released a headless version of the deck I can plug into my TV and replace my streaming stick with. So long as media functionality was baked into the interface (Or just run Android TV versions of Plex or something)

Everyone above me who didn't mention Proton is wrong and their reasons are stupid.

Steam machines failed because Linux could not run games like Windows can. That has changed with Proton and it's accompanying technologies like DXVK etc.

Don't forget Native linux builds can be bad, despite the frothing at the mouth for them. Especially ports. I installed X-Com2 on linux recently and it was bugging out because I wasn't using ubuntu 14.4, installed the windows version with proton and it ran perfectly.

Absolutely user! I've seen many people switch to Proton even when there's a native build available because the native build is from years ago, uses OpenGL, has never been updated, runs slow if it even runs at all etc etc. Proton is a fucking godsend for such cases.

No Proton and not enough native ports
Pointless to people who know their shit, too complex to normies
Overpriced
Really the only good thing that came out of this was the controller.

Nothing but hot air

it's pc but with fewer games and alternative uses or another console with no exclusives or gimmicks beyond prior point
why would it not?