Blueray as a backup/storage medium?

So stora/g/e fags what's stopping me from getting a 100 dollars usb blue ray recorder and burn/store my shit there instead of having an external disk/ssd or nas etc??

Attached: Verbatim Lifestyle pictures_Back to the office_43886 43888 43889 43890 98938 43285 43552 43639_AB.jpg (1000x667, 245.98K)

the fact that this would be prohibitively expensive and very impractical, user

recordables can only be written to once
rewritables are slow as shit
a hard drive has more uses than a disc drive

Look into multi session recording.

remember to buy 2 blue ray recorders and make a disc raid 0 to speed things up

>the fact that this would be prohibitively expensive and very impractical, user
>a hard drive has more uses than a disc drive

what about data integrity as a backup medium then? Hard disks and SSDs seem to fail more often than blue ray disks. I don't know if M-disks are a meme but it sounds like a viable option for long term cold storage.

Also I heard that SSD/flash storage needs to be powered on at least every 6 months to avoid data loss.. this really messes with my long term backup strategy to be honest

>remember to buy 2 blue ray recorders and make a disc raid 0 to speed things up
kek

>Hard disks and SSDs seem to fail more often than blue ray disks.

Attached: dontknow.gif (250x250, 811.71K)

Sure if your backups are under 50gb, have fun if you're trying to store terabytes' worth of data

>have fun if you're trying to store terabytes' worth of data
true but if I had terabytes worth of data then all the "storage janitor" work of setting up a nas or zfs or whatever would actually make sense
I am more interested in preserving my ~40 GB of shit I can't afford to lose

>40gb
Just encrypt it and store on cloud drives

Then buy both a bluray disc and an ssd, store your shit on both, and whichever dies first you replace.
Is that simple.

/thread/

op is too much of an autist to come to this conclusion himself

Just get a stack of DVDs, much cheaper than blue ray, you can have multiple copies or use a RAR archive with extra parity for redundancy

Use dvds instead
Does the same job
Easier
Cheaper
Works in almost all OSs(future proof)
Plenty of units around and cheaper to buy
Make sure to always make two or three sets of the information you want to back up for redundancy
This storage is for long term

obviously this will work for my case, also ~40GB of shit can be copied over 5-6 usb sticks easily and the chances that all of them break at the same time is almost zero.. I am wondering if blueray is a viable option as a backup in general.
for example let's say you want to cold-backup shit at work like a database or sth but you don't have a tape drive does blue ray has a usecase there or it's ghetto?

Bad idea, better off using traditional HDDs, longer life spans (unless the disks are in a room with controlled temp), redundancy with raid, cheaper

I have 60 GBs of photos plus other crucial data that once per year I burn to an “MDISC” bluray for cold storage. Latest backup is kept off site in security deposit box. Bluray is still the best option for cold storage unless you are so rich that you want to pay >$5000 for modern magnetic drive solutions.

>Hard disks and SSDs seem to fail more often than blue ray disks.
I seriously doubt that.
DVD-R's definitely failed a whole lot more often than harddrives, not even a question.

Also harddrives typically fail either when they're brand new (fabrication error) or after constant use for years and years (wear).
If you use used hard-drives for backups the chance of them failing exactly on that one time you read from it is virtually non-existent.
So IMO best strategy is to use a drive for 5 years or so and then demote it as a backup drive while you use a new drive as the main drive.
This works particularly well when combined with RAID 1, because you can double the storage every generation and have the same storage capacity spread over 2 backup drives (and maybe even a 2nd backup spread over 4 drives if you want to go that far)

You're looking at ~$32/TB for bluray discs, while cheap external HDDs are ~$18/TB.
And then of course you have to swap discs every 25/50/100GB, and store and organize tons of discs. And bluray has abysmal read/write speeds. And disc drives are fairly loud.

>does blue ray has a usecase there
No, hard drives are cheap enough.
Maybe if you're scared of crypto lockers, but even cheap NAS have snapshotting capabilities
Maybe if you have some legal requirement to keep read only data like surveillance footage

Aren't Blu-ray disks risky for long term storage since scanning and correcting for bitrot ist very impractical/impossible? Also pressed optimal media is very durable, yes, but the ones you write using your BD drive aren't as durable.

Depends on how much data you intend to back up, and if you intend to use it for something else like ripping your blurays.
A spindle of 50 single layer blurays is a bit over 1TB, and is under $25. If that would work for you and you intend to rip some blurays then go for it.

The discs should be a tertiary backup on top of you keeping a primary and secondary backup on HDDs though. Actually using more than one or maybe two disc backups to recover data from unless if you absolutely needed to would be miserable.