Alright Any Forums, redpill me on the cyber security job meme. Is it really the best paid...

Alright Any Forums, redpill me on the cyber security job meme. Is it really the best paid, most fun and most sought after in the market now?

Attached: 0_b6VuVy2aZOvHfm-C.png (764x504, 44.01K)

I bump your thread in hopes of raising discussion

Attached: knight.jpg (900x740, 93.71K)

Ruined by NPC normalfags and the white hat equivalent of script kiddies.

I unironically make 220k as a security engineer at a non faang. I'll be nice on this board for once and answer questions to help out you newfags.

Did you join with a compsci degree? Most cybersec places seem happy to take most STEM degrees so I'm not sure if it matters too much what you studied at uni.

>Degree
No, I have a liberal arts degree. I worked my way up from the help desk to network engineering then pivoted into security. I didn't earn my degree until I was 6-7 years into my career. I took a bunch of classes online part time while working. Only 1 person on my team has a computer science degree

I have my Security+ but Im a retard and dont know anything. Should I apply for work as a SOC analyst?

What the hell is a "security engineer" anyway? Pentesting?

If you have a security+ and you're an American, try to find a government cyber job instead on USAJOBS.com. you'll get paid more starting at a gov position (which are gs12 for entry level) then you would in the private sector. Try to avoid the soc if you can, it's no better than help desk

>I'll be nice on this board
Where were you when /cyb/ + /sec/ was killed?

I do corporate security work, with a heavy focus on cloud security. The defense side pays more than the offensive side on average because there is a massive talent shortage.

Sure Ill give that a shot. Im currently tech support for an ISP.

I used to make a fair amount of the cyb sec threads but the jannies banned me for multiple months last summer so I stopped making them

I forgot to add try clearedjobs.com as well. If you're on the younger side you might find a firm that would be open to sponsoring a security clearance for you. I hate to shill for the glowies but unless you're like a top 1% offensive security guru you're going to find yourself hitting a ceiling quickly on the private sector without having a clearance or federal connections. My salary effectively hasn't moved since 2018

OK, help me then. I'm American, unfinished degree, 30. Had a decent (as in regular middle class) e-commerce business going but that went to shit along with most of the rest of my life when COVID hit. I started studying again and now I have Security+ and I'm scheduled to sit for Linux+ sometime next month. Now, who the fuck do I have to blow to get a job?

How much work experience do you have outside of your e-commerce business? Are you capable of sitting for and passing the CISSP? Are you located in a non fly over area?

Not sure about US salaries but I can only imagine it's higher than in the UK, which is already high.
The fun comes from the fact that I WFH and do very little work all day

>How much work experience do you have outside of your e-commerce business?
Nothing relevant, before doing sales I freelanced as a translator for several years, then before that I just NEET'd around LARPing as a writer and musician... taught some English down in Mexico for a bit... I gotta say I fucking deepthroated the 'your 20s are for exploring' meme, with little to show for it.
>Are you capable of sitting for and passing the CISSP?
Uh, I can pay the $700 fee and have the patience and free time to sit down and study for months, but I assume it's way harder than Security+ if you're framing it in these terms?
>Are you located in a non fly over area?
South Texas, right on top of the border. I can rearrange my life pretty easy to take a job in-state even if I had to move to like, Dallas or San Antonio, sure. Moving to the other side of the country is off the table unless I just have no other choice.

Ok so a couple of suggestions. First remove any and all non tech related work from your resume unless you're applying for a tech sales job in security(which is also a good option). 2. Ok don't bother with the CISSP right now, if you have to study for months at a time for that exam, you aren't ready to take it and most likely will end up like boomers who end up in security with no practical experience and dont know what they are doing. Don't be that guy atm. The only exception here is if you're trying to land into a high level federal job, in which case try to take the exam now and pass it. You can still land a fed job without IAT III (CISSP or ccnp) as you have a Sec+. 3. Yeah you need to move, San Antonio has tons of security jobs I'd head there first. Or if you're in good health, just enlist in the air force since youre in Texas anyway

i've been in cyber for six years and i actually do any work 1 day in 10

No. They just hype up everything as ''most sought after, fun'' and all that yada yada.

Okay. Why would you go into security if you can also go into devops (will be hot coming years) or data science (will likely continue being hot but for a shorter while since it is being invaded by new uni grads with a masters degree)?

I would love to do something with security but to be honest university didn't teach me anything useful regarding it and in the work experience I had building data pipelines, doing something with the data and getting results from it was key. Security wasn't really my business at all. I do not think it is very possible (or very smart) to pivot from a data engineer / scientist role to one in security, right?