/rg/ - Router General

For all your home networking needs.

Do you use intrusion detection?
Which do you prefer and why, OpenWrt or DD-WRT?

Optimal routers for OpenWrt: openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
OPNSense: opnsense.org/
PfSense: pfsense.org/

DD-WRT: dd-wrt.com/
FreshTomato (Broadcom only): freshtomato.org/

Previous:

Attached: 10659-1.png (692x692, 252.46K)

The only wireless device on my network is my phone lol

just use OpenBSD like a normal person

Retard

Help me out Any Forumsrunts. I'm replacing the Linksys AP (green circle) with a better OpenWRT flashed AP and I want to wall mount it. Pic is our spare bedroom at the northern corner of our house.
I would like to place it where the red rectangle is but I'm afraid that will limit the 2.4GHz shining through the window. Should I instead place it where the yellow rectangle is?
5GHz is no concern since at 160MHz it's LoS only anyway and I will have 1 AP per room at low power.

Attached: 1653217083612.jpg (1600x706, 280.72K)

>using linksys for wi-fi

Attached: 1559010154690.jpg (250x238, 7.86K)

what does that even mean you nigger

Sorry bro I don't have enough router discussion for an entire general. Your choice will hardly matter for home use as long as you can install *wrt.

>openbsd
>like a normal person
are you autistic? i just use whatever OS comes with the fucking router

user, OpenBSD is a perfectly normal OS for perfectly normal people, I'm sorry you got filtered by it

Retard

whats the point of this if your router already supports the functionality it provides

I have a dir-869 as an access point with openwrt. My router is opnsense installed on a D2500. Works well. I have Gravity syncing piholes which handle addblocking and Unbound DNS.

i hope those cracks in the timbers are decorative hipstershit and aren't actually real, because holy shit that looks like its about to fall apart
mount it where "Dry Wall" is

>knows nothing about wood
stop talking, you're looking stupid

Hello /hng/ but not /hng/, I have a problem worth fixing. Family member lives in a village where they have 2 ISPs - one delivering fiber for, say, 100 coins, and one delivering ADSL with 500 MB traffic limit for 50 coins and 90 coins past that limit. This person doesn't care about speed and exceeds the limit every month, meaning they pay 90 coins. I think it's quite a terrible offer they've got, but they don't care and the only alternative is paying 10 coins more.
Is it possible to somehow heavily compress or cache their traffic, so that they fit within those 500 MBs? I don't know if it's even worth it, since I'd have to add some PC to run squid or whatever on it, and ultimately this person doesn't care.
Maybe I shouldn't either?

Forgot to say I don't know what their monthly used traffic is, which might be a crucial thing before considering any of that. Probably auto play ads or some shit.

Maybe don't sign up for free maintenance contracts.
You wont be able to get them within a 500MB cap.
Caching makes sense when you have multiple peers accessing the same content, but most content nowadays is dynamic anyways.

So you're not accomplishing anything (500MB is exceeded day 1 by typical Windows services) and you're breaking a good number of sites by running them through a proxy meaning you'll be costing them money on the phone bill because they'll be calling you all the time to configure exceptions.

I have a dozen deviced connected to a shitty router from my ISP with a connection like pic related.
I'm tired of Internet connection dropping all the time, what's the most user friendly solution you would reccomend to a tech illiterate?

Attached: cable.jpg (6987x4954, 790.17K)

bruh we need /gg/ genology general

Forgot to add this is my Internet speed

Attached: 1653225914709.jpg (540x248, 25.59K)

I want to use my old router (tplink td-w8968) as a wireless receiver for my desktop PC (i don't want to buy anything else if possibile). I've successfully installed openwrt but I can't find my main wireless network. My main router works on channel 13 and this tp link doesn't see channel 12 and above. Can't do anything right? My main router doesn't allow me to change that.