DOS in the year of our lord 2022

If someone installed MS-DOS, freeDOS, or openDOS on their home computer in current year, what all could they do with it? What old software would work with the modern hardware? What websites would work? Could it play music? Video? Could he use it as a daily driver?

Attached: msdos.jpg (474x474, 35.53K)

loadlin.exe would be the obvious choice

should try dos internet now that i can actually connect to it

Dinotycoon is the GOAT

>If someone installed MS-DOS, freeDOS, or openDOS on their home computer in current year, what all could they do with it?
Other than flashing their bios, you can't really do anything in DOS. Hell some computers can't even run DOS anymore since motherboard makers are getting rid of CSM
>What old software would work with the modern hardware?
Most software could work but you would be limited to no sound and bad CGA/EGA/VGA emulation of modern GPUs.
>What websites would work?
There probably is an elinks port out there so text only sites would work. But good luck finding a DOS network driver.
>Could it play music?
Most DOS software only support the sound cards of the DOS era and maybe AC'97 audio. I haven't heard of anything supporting HD audio.
>Video?
Probably yes but you would be stuck in low resolution and no acceleration, and with your CPU most likely stuck at the lowest frequency because of no ACPI to kick it in full gear probably even laggy as fuck
>Could he use it as a daily driver?
Absolutely not

You can delete anything on your hard drive including Windows files and system32.

MSDOS
can do a lot like windows, like windows never change the system only the security

DOOM.

Prince of persia
Douk nukem
Mario bros
Sick demos from the scene

>>Could he use it as a daily driver?
>Absolutely not
You limp wrists are so spoiled. Really all you need is text editing and email.

>install pci NE2000 compatible card
>load packet driver
>use mTCP or any other TCP stack
>???
>PROFIT!

>Could it play music?
Trackers.
>Could he use it as a daily driver?
Depends what you do daily.
An author absolutely could.

still the issue of there being no dos browser that can load any sites made past the early-mid 90s

webone + arachne, if you don't care about formatting

Peaople would probably develop applications to fit modern needs. It would take getting used to, but if it became mainstream again for whatever reason, we would adapt.

I imagine we could port over Lynx to DOS

hx-dos has terminal things covered

i meant load as in have them be actually be functional the way they're supposed to work

I see. I think the internet would either change, or someone would create a browser that works with modern internet.

it could be probably be done with a browser based on arachne

>what all could they do with it?
First of all, it may not be able to boot, it doesn't support UEFI.
> but CSM
Not required on modern mobos.