/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ - Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server
>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualisation. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavour of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache/Navidrome to replace spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks - shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/
Old thread

Attached: 1625836561171.jpg (604x453, 89.91K)

Fuck Xfinity

If i want to use my server as a nas what would be best? Ftp nextcloud something different?

nextcloud is fine for external access.

for WHAT
do you want to make files externally available? use the most simplistic http server you can find

I just want to access my music and movies from my smartphone and pc

jellyfin for comfy, smb for simple
use wireguard for both, do not expose other services

is this the place to ask about media servers? I want to remove all tv cables from my house and replace it with a pc for general media streaming

I hate keyboard layouts, Locales and timezone configurations. wish everyone could agree on a format.

Attached: 1632055747522.png (696x112, 21.1K)

yeah cmon in dude.
get a tiny/mini/micro pc and load it up with movies, plug it into the tv and you're done :)

any ideas as to how I can get good internet signal on this mini pc? I have my router upstairs connected via ethernet to my other computer which I use for vidya mainly. Should I run a cable down to the micro pc?

preferable if possible

Well it's that time again; build newer or expand current system. Zpool is almost 80% full. Current system has 6 bays with 8TB drives with the boot volume on USB sticks. To upgrade the current system's drives would mean going with 16TB drives at minimum. The other option is build a whole newer server with more bays for drives and reuse drives I've got already. (6x8TB and 6x 3TB) With the rub being said drives could fail anytime which case I'd be forking out the money anyway to replace them. Can get a mobo/xeon cpu/32GB EEC/and PSU and SAS/SATA PCIE card for $360 w/shipping on ebay. I'd need to buy another case though.

cable, wireless or powerline adapters.
that's your options.

you can sometimes find cheap 1st/2nd gen epikkks on ebay. don't bother getting anything less socket 3647. e-waste territory.

I want to use this cronjob /bin/bash -c 'dd if=/dev/disk/by-uuid/920343560967032036 of=/dev/null count=1 skip=$RANDOM' to prevent my drives from sleeping this wont nuke them right?

I have a server at home and also a couple of VPS. All run Debian. Home has dynamic IP and VPS have static IPs. What would be a sane/secure way to set up a VPN so I can connect to my home server from outside my home? I don't particularly want to have my home server listening to the internet, so some sort of double SSH tunnel or something?

why not just add the below into crontab?
while true ; do date >> /sleepy_drive_dir/date.log
sleep 60
done

cloudflare tunnels, zerotier, openvpn

Can't i just put 20 * * * * date >> /mnt/zfs/date.log in crontab why write so much? It will run every 20 minutes because of 20 * * * * right?

it'll actually run on minute 20 of every hour. */20 will run every 20 minutes

ok thanks