/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
&& fglt.nlhttps://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1630194934251.png (821x608, 776.47K)

> pic
How embarrasing.

Attached: ab6b06eb6761778516485885b6daf36b1551bf3a7554e98d7384c5bafe68d9ea.jpg (582x591, 48.17K)

Hallo guys, I’m using dolphin in i3, but it doesn’t show newly connected devices like my Kobo e-reader.
Nautilus does, and allows me to mount the device, in /var/run something.
Is there a device watcher daemon for Dolphin that I can enable in an i3 session?

Let's have some serious discussion. Will we Linux users ever be able (or already are) to run automatic, unattended updates on our system?
Because Windows, Mac OS, and Chrome OS all are able to do that, and normies would prefer it that way too if they would adopt Linux.
I researched some fringe github or AUR projects to find something that would safely automate updates, and wonder whether these will ever be viable in the future. Installing packages using GUI front-ends and app stores have been relatively normalized these days, and who knows maybe in the future we can do automatic updates too.
I myself don't want such feature ever, but I'm just thinking for the sake of winning over the hearts of the rest of the desktop users.

Attached: Manjaro-18-Desktop-Screen.jpg (800x600, 67.64K)

>Will we Linux users ever be able (or already are) to run automatic, unattended updates on our system?
Yeah, on Ubuntu for example.

>Finally opened my eyes to lf over ranger
It's literally just ranger but better

The more mainstream distros like Ubuntu and Fedora have automatic update installing as something you can set up via a GUI program. And with distros like Arch you can either set up systemd timers to run a full update at whatever times you wish or use something like EndeavourOS which includes those kinds of timers but in a more friendly GUI way.

FREETODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1624216373005.jpg (510x357, 42.51K)

can someone else mess around with dall-e mini and see if it randomly crashes x.org like it does for me

Yep haha OP got us again!

based

What's going to be the difference of installing EndearvourOS vs the easy arch installer?

Attached: 1634635114610.png (544x638, 618.79K)

linux bros... i don't feel so good

Debian has supported unattended updates for like fifteen years now.

EndeavourOS pre-sets up more configs for you and adds it's own repo that includes among it's own applications some precompiled AUR programs that you might want IE paru, yay and downgrade. The TUI archinstall gives you as much of a maximal or minimal Arch install as you need but as usual doesn't pre-tweak any of it's configs which you'll want to do yourself (aside from automatically uncommentating the multilib or testing repos.)

why do you hate xargs user?

Attached: 1649605738155.gif (200x234, 2.52M)

RIP Terry, my heart goes out to you

What I can see is that automated updates can be dangerous, the more up-to-date the packages are.

The auto update policies and recommendations are all over the place, since there are dozens of different distros with differently managed and kept repositories.

Auto update would only be safe with some kind of stable or LTS type of distros. Better point releases rather than rolling releases, maybe.

I also think third party repos like AUR, PPA, COPR and so on can be very dangerous, especially if you get your firmware or drivers from there.

Windows is famous for it's bluescreen, mostly because of problems with third party drivers or softwares in most cases. Linux would have to face this too, if one would rely on shady third party drivers not properly maintained by the repos. Therefore I would use modesetting for example, rather than shady nvidia blob drivers. But luckily, I don't have nvidia at all.

If you needed any more proof that the Linux operating system is a joke.

Anyone have a clue why soulseekqt on manjaro is randomly closing and not saving my settings?

Stop installing manjaro, just boot arch and freaking type archinstall holy shit.
Tired of hearing issues with niggerjero.

how many kernel versions does fedora keep?

No serious work gets done on Arch and it's flavours. Just use a Debian-based distro like a normal person

How come that Marco/Metacity has less features than something like Enlightenment,IceWM,Fluxbox,Fvwm and WindowMaker?