Best router?

Supports openWRT
Supports WPA3
Supports wifi6
GBs and great range
Won't break the bank

Attached: j4Dm4egnX9k9mg3B4iymMc-970-80_jpg_webp.png (970x546, 315.58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Protectli-Firewall-Gigabit-Celeron-Barebone-Black/dp/B07G7H4M73
twitter.com/AnonBabble

BEST is always going to be a PC + pci-express wifi NIC by default since no low end ARM chip is going to hold a candle even to an i3 from a decade ago found in $50 used optiplex office computers. If you're too braindead for that the next best thing is anything near the top in picrel.

Attached: 20210528_wifi-routers_02_stack_med_lat_1260.png (1140x1626, 342.51K)

364,14€ what the fuck for some gaymer shit
Just get a draytek access point

i need one that supports wpa1 for my psp

Best in what? Inflating your power bill? These wireless cards have shit range and not all will even work in AP mode. PCs are bulky, noisy and draw obscene amounts of power. More expensive to build even if you use outdated parts. Zero benefits over a proper AP. If you said router running in a VM on your server that already has multiple other uses + switch + AP then I’d agree that it’s a good setup. Using a PC exclusively as a router and trying to replace proper AP with a shitty wireess card is just peak retardation and autism.

You don't need a full blown pc. I use a PCEngines APU2 and it's more than enough for several hundred clients on full fibre. Anything more is overkill and a waste of energy and resources. And it pulls 6-10w. depending on load. The PCIe and mSATA interfaces, proper RAM and x86 mean it is far and away more performant than an ARM system could be. A couple of wireless Compex WLE cards provide me with AC and legacy access points. And altogether it was cheaper than the Archer.

Wifi 6 is still kinda hard to get in combination with those other things you want. I have a mikrotik hap ac3 plus a consumer wifi 6 router set up as an access point. Works well and you get two acess points for the 'great range' you want.

You don't even have to go the extra mile of a full blown desktop. An i3 thinkpad with a USB 3.0 wifi dongle will still brutally curb stomp a great deal of gayming wifi routers because of how bad the CPUs are. A "wifi router" as the name implies must act as a router and a wifi AP concurrently which is a CPU intensive task especially if more than a single person connects.

protip: very few if ANY wifi routers are using raspberry pi 4 guts

Attached: rpi4_is_a_joke.png (913x472, 48.26K)

You can literally find fucking A53 cores on "gaming" wifi routers, I'm not even joking. That's a piece of shit ARM CPU wayyyyyy back from fucking 2012 being sold on modern day "gaming" wifi routers. Absolute kikery.

Attached: Untitled17.png (1719x931, 121.1K)

>More expensive to build
Used PCs can be had for free. PCIe wifi cards are 20 bux.

A router doesn't really need more then that.

No shit but we're literally talking about a black box that's a router AND a wifi AP. Even if this thread was exclusively about wifi APs you're going to get an insane wifi performance boost going from a piece of shit A53 quad core CPU to an i3 thinkpad. It's probably like a 10X leap in single core performance and AFAIK 90% of things are critically reliant on single core CPU performance which is why a 5950X isn't going to give you 4X the gayming FPS compared to a 5300X.

>300 brit bucks
Jesus Christ.

It does when you start loading it with additional software. Things like Suricata, Wireguard, adguard. They're CPU intensive and will choke an ARM chip in no time.

>It does when you start loading it with additional software. Things like Suricata, Wireguard, adguard. They're CPU intensive and will choke an ARM chip in no time.
So what do you suggest then?

Those will choke the older MIPS SoCs and might choke the weaker ARM SoCs depending on load, but they won't choke a higher end one (though those are only found on overpriced routers like OPs and if you need that much performance you're better off with an RPi or a NanoPi)
Routing and almost every single internet service is extremely parallelizable
>USB 3.0 WiFi dongle being any good
You have no idea what you're talking about

Like has already been mentioned. x86. There are plenty of low power embedded systems available.

There are plenty of low power embedded systems available.
Yeah like? any suggested something to buy?

>A53 from fucking 2012
>"higher end"
lmao

USB 2.0 wifi dongles are heavily chocked by the half duplex nature of well, USB 2.0. That's eliminated with USB 3.0 wifi dongles and believe it or not that piece of shit dongle will still curb stomp ~$100 gaymen wifi routers using older dual-core A7/A9 SoCs if said dongles are being roided up by x86 CPUs which doesn't take much as you can see in

nanopi R4S running openwrt as your router
your choice of wifi 6 access point. not worth overspending since wifi6E is coming soon. cheap TP-link or zyxel is fine.
total cost

>It does when you start loading it with additional software.
Then don't do that.

>"You will own nothing and you will be happy!"

The PCEngines system mentioned above. That, with a 16G mSATA SSD and a wireless card comes in at less than 300 brit bucks for me. I just specced one out. You could probably buy one second hand for much less. There are also a bunch of fanless mini pcs on Amazon that are well under 300 quid and all you would need to add would be a cheap wireless access point.

amazon.co.uk/Protectli-Firewall-Gigabit-Celeron-Barebone-Black/dp/B07G7H4M73
6w quad core and supports AES-NI. Miles better than that gaming router.

You have no idea about what you're talking about if you believe WiFi boils down to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0