QR Codes

howcome they never quite took off.

Attached: 20578925.jpg (474x223, 15.4K)

you can't memorize a qr code

they did. Bill Gates squeezed what use whats left thou

seems like they're doing a bit better now than 10 years ago, especially now that smartphones with built-in QR scanners are ubiquitous. It didn't help when many businesses started abusing them to hock ads and shit that nobody asked for.

They're definite convenient for joining wi-fi networks or if I want to add contacts in my phone.

Attached: 1555370581038.png (305x305, 4.51K)

These things piss me the fuck off. I don't have cellular data so whenever I'm eating out with friends I end up having to use their phone to see the menu. Sometimes the place we're eating at will have wifi but it's rare.

Most people are too braindead to use them so now there's an "app" for everything. Which is extremely good for companies because now they can monitor customers 24/7 which a QR code can't do. On the nerd side of things they could only hold a few KB of data so you can't even store a single MP3 song on one. QR codes using color instead of black and white were going to change that but by now people are so used to the "apps" that using them has become ancient alien technology to them.

i have seen more and more restaurants use them as links to their menus, also my bank app now lets you transfer money using a qr between bank users, and of course wifi qr are now common on smartphones/tablets

Just tell the waitress you don't have a smartphone and to stand there and recite the whole menu to you from memory, they have to do it if you ask because otherwise you have no clue what their menu is.

>ask the asian with broken english to talk for 3 minutes straight
kek

It confuses boomers and zoomers.

>QR codes using color instead of black and white were going to change that
I really doubt phones would be able to consistently tell more than 256 colors apart which would mean one QR pixel can store 16 bits, increasing the maximum capacity 16 fold which still isn't much. Also you'd need even more space for error correction which doesn't make it a straight 16x increase.
It's ultimately just not worth it, though it'd be cool in theory.

they use qr codes at asian countries and restraunts scan code to bring up menu on phone and order

why the fuck would I want to use my cuck slab more often than I need to?

great, i scanned your post and now i got a virus that just spams "desu" in the console.

Phones don't have a native way to scan them, you need to download a shady ass 3rd party app with a billion ads.

Attached: doubt.png (416x387, 6.56K)

This is why I normally just use the website which is normally written next to the qrcode.

If you had a normal not schizo phone the camera app would just take you to the menu

what are you talking about? whenever i want to go to board a plane, take a train, go to a restaurant, or pick my kid up from school I have to get my QR code scanned

They're fucking everywhere where I am. People hardly use them though.

user most normal people who have iPhone can just open the camera app. It's been in the OS since iOS 11 from 2017.

You're telling me not all phones can do such a simple task?

>Phones don't have a native way to scan them

Attached: smug michelle.jpg (197x140, 10.38K)

Why is there a face in it

android's built-in google assistant can do it too.
he must be using a dumbphone.

They're handy in the same situations where barcodes are already used.
You can also pass small bits of data between devices easily, i use the qr code share feature on chrome when i want to move my fap session to my phone.

>I don't have cellular data
stop being poor