/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1645361375584.jpg (670x400, 307.71K)

any idea why my play-with-mpv extension isn't doing anything?
On linux mint with:
Brave 100.1.37.109
mpv 0.32.0
youtube-dl 2021.12.17
play-with-mpv extension 0.1.0
play-with-mpv server is freshly installed off github

using
mpv youtube.com/examplelink
works fine, so i'm 90% sure it's either the extension or brave getting in the way of the extension.

I have a pen drive with files on it(NTFS filesystem)
Can i access the files on it using Kubuntu(ext4 filesystem)? or will i have to use a windows VM to copy the files from it?

it should be fine. I used to snag files from my windows partition when I used to dualboot

Is the server running? Can you connect to it?
It runs on 0.0.0.0:7531 by default.
Yes, newer versions of the linux kernel have an NTFS driver, and ntfs-3g has been around for ages as well.

realized the issue. the extension settings needed "allow access to file URLs" to be ticked

>Is the server running? Can you connect to it?
yes it was

Ohhhhhh
Thanks!

I fucked up my entire Linux Mint laptop by replacing this file with an incompatible version:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

I saved the original before I did anything, but I'm in serious trouble anyway. cp command won't work, and neither will sudo. Normally, I would solve this situation by editing the system using a live Ubuntu USB stick. Unfortunately, my hard disk is encrypted. I know the key but I don't know if I'll be able to access encryptfs externally, even with the key. How do I unfuck my system?
I will post this here, and on /fglt/

>what were you doing user?
CTF

Attached: gentoo.jpg (933x1352, 581.95K)

So I recently moved to Linux from W7 and I was installing a bunch of flatpaks. Everything went fine until I installed a gnome program, it picks up the breeze gtk theme but not Plasma's dark color scheme so they just load with the normal breeze theme.
Tried a bunch of flatpak overrides but they do nothing, any way to make gnome programs use breeze dark instead of just plain breeze?

Use guix to roll back from such fuckups

>installing a bunch of flatpaks
oof

discovered WSL 2 today
if i use it, i can effectively run a linux distro while still having windows 10 be a part of it, keeping files and running windows programs natively right?

It's basically Windows' own native version of Virtualbox and all that entails

>GNOME
You'll use the theming that it WANTS you to use.

ok, so it creates its own seperate environment or does it use it inside of windows? what i wanted to do specifically was install the linux shell over the top of windows so i could use the linux GUI & programs over the windows one.

So I've decided to make the move to linux from Windows I've installed Ubuntu but wasn't getting any output on my DP ports. Just installed POP OS (nvidia) because I heard that it comes with the drivers for my nvidia card (2080 Super) but no luck.

I've messed around with not too long ago and it picked up my DP cable and monitor before and I've tried different ports. The monitor (VG27AQ) works via HDMI but I want g sync so need DP.

Thanks for the help.

You can use the live stick. If your disk is encrypted via luks from the Mint installer, then it should show up as a possible location in your file manager from the Ubuntu live environment. I'm not sure what it looks like in Gnome but it should be there. If it is not then you will have to do a little bit of work by hand instead. Your commands will look something like
>cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdXY uniquename
>mount /dev/mapper/uniquename /mnt
>cd /mnt
of course read the man pages and don't run random commands from Any Forums. Also please post more fantasy images containing large breasts
>CTF
capture the flag required you to change your libc?
>flatpaks
stop hitting yourself. Package managers exist for a reason and have existed for decades. Flatpaks are more akin to Windows software management just downloading random installers from websites. In general you should use your package manager unless you have some particular software that you want that ONLY distributes via flatpak. Even then it is generally preferable imho to just compile the application from source, and you get more street cred that way too.
> any way to make gnome programs use breeze dark instead of just plain breeze?
You need to change the GTK theme. I believe that there is no way to do that from within the Plasma GUI, but assuming that it is a gtk3 application then you can set it in
>~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
Maybe you have to log out and back in to get changes to take effect, idk. You're using KDE so you probably don't care about things being slow and taking a lot of time for aesthetics.
this user is partially right, some recent controversy in Gnome refers to applications disrespecting user-set theme settings. Probably you don't have to worry about that right now.
The thought of running X and a desktop environment inside of WSL2 is hilarious but live your dreams bro just go for it. Install Gnome and try to launch it, see what happens.

Attached: 1645127883888.jpg (2048x1152, 972.53K)

Try EndeavourOS and see if it picks up your monitor.

What does the nvidia monitor management application show? What does the Ubuntu displays application show? Does xrandr see your DP output?

what i mean is i want to run linux through WSL 2, so i can have the desktop environment of linux while still having my C drive and being able to use windows applications. can i do that?

The whole point it exists is so devs can easily test their software against a Linux environment.

I kind of feel like a fag saying this, but I am going to move back to Arch from Artix. Using openrc instead of systemd has caused me a lot of hassle, and I've found myself wondering why I am putting myself through such a hassle. I am 100% willing to inconvenice myself to do whats right or to stand by my principles, but I don't think this is my battle.
I am concerned about my privacy, and I am a very principled person, but in this particular case I don't think systemd is of any serious concern. I think that everybody should critically examine anything that they are doing, but you shouldn't let your own strong will cause you to inconvenience yourself for nothing at all. I'd rather use the brainpower to avoid actual threats to my freedom and privacy.
I will say that I sympathize and always will sympathize with every person trying to escape systemd, but the concern ultimately is "schizo." Poettering made a damn fine init system, and avoiding it based on what i now see as primarily conjecture makes one akin to a luddite.
I'm not going to shill for systemd or attack the people that I have fraternized with for over a year now, but I really do think that it is a shame so many smart, principled people have expended so much energy and will on purely speculative concerns.
Thanks for reading my blog.

I have never used WSL2 because I only use GNU+Linux, so I can't tell you for sure. From your WSL2 window, if you run 'sudo apt-get install xinit; startx' then that will show you whether or not you can run X from within WSL2 and that will tell you whether you can continue pursuing this path.

I've been messing around with Artix OpenRC recently and I honestly quite like it. Just install the Arch Linux repo support as well (extra and community) and it's pretty cozy as the kids say.
I found activating services and the like through OpenRC the same level of ease as systemd. The only problem I had is Pipewire not automatically loading on DE start up, so I had to load it via xinitrc/startx. Pulseaudio does though, guess cause it's been around since before systemd was a thing.

In general how unstable are the beta versions of Fedora? I won't be doing anything super important on it, mainly just trying it out to see if I like it and Gnome 42.

Both Ubuntu and POP don't show the display at all in their settings. Neither does nvidia X server settings.

I have nvidia drivers version 510.54

I did lshw -c video and this is what I got. idk how to use xrandr, I'm very new to linux. thank you.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-04-03 15-24-15.png (774x321, 48.62K)

Well for one you should run that again but with sudo.