/spg/ - Smartphone General

200 Mega Pickles Edition

If you're requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you'll be using. Include the features you want, budget, and size. BEFORE POSTING, narrow down your options by using the links below.

>What phone has X and Y feature?
Don't ask, use these!
gsmarena.com/search.php3
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones
phonedb.net/index.php?m=device&s=query

Good Resources:
>Reviews
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
notebookcheck.net

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonesized.com/
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Everything rooting and custom ROM related
>Beware carrier variants with locked bootloaders
xda-developers.com/

>A curated list of open source Android applications, tutorials and resources
gitlab.com/linuxcafefederation/awesome-android/-/blob/main/README.md

>Android App compatibility list for de-googled phones
plexus.techlore.tech/

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how many shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread:

Attached: motorola_200_mp.jpg (942x891, 135.87K)

A reminder that modern phone flagships are camera-wise on the level of a high end dedicated compact cameras. This is true no matter the cope you're gonna see about "muh lenses" and "muh sensor size"

Attached: highres-sony-cybershot-rx100-12_1343918068.jpg (3301x2272, 1.15M)

Why do people hate colorOS? Seems like a better version of Googles pixel phones to me. All these neat features that makes the experience so nice. Just having notifications be small and disappear quickly without making big noise when watching videos or play games is something I'm gonna miss if I ever switch

Attached: Screenshot_2022-04-02-14-17-44-38_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg (1079x391, 106.93K)

It's true that they both don't live up to the promise. For the lenses they have they max out at 15 megapickels at best.

no they're fucking not. Computational photography is ass

My 8 is dying. I had replaced the battery without a waterproof seal after splintering the bottom backside, since the new casing I ordered never arrived. Now about a week ago, it fell from my desk and the display popped out, somehow severing the top assembly's cable.

It sucks not having an earpiece or auto-brightness, and it's been starting to slow down, too. RAM is generally fine except when switching between heavy apps like twitter, messengers, lots of browser tabs and video/music. I wanna wait for the 14, was thinking of getting a '22 SE likely to resell or pass down to family once series 14 is out, but my boss offered just buying me one for work.

Should I go for it? I'm kind of over the whole button navigation and its version of control center, it's felt slow and unreliable since iOS 11. I'm more annoyed by the camera freezes and other such things when using control center, the notification shade/quick settings, and even just regular apps, though, and I'm worried those are just due to shit optimisation for this form factor on Apple's part.

Not to mention finger print scanners not working reliably when my fingers get sweaty, greasy, dirty, wet, even scratched up from carrying skateboards or any sort of physical activity, craft or chore.

Pic related is my phone's backside, I initially put tape and later an old iPhone 7 skin over it to prevent it from further breaking or cutting up my hands.

Attached: IMG_0499.jpg (1500x1118, 241.89K)

>2018mah battery
Eww?

Attached: 1648903574244.jpg (435x640, 26.51K)

A15 is actually the most power efficient mobile chip there is, there is no such phone with a battery life as good as iPhone 13 Pro Max, and its battery is not that huge.

>my boss offered just buying me one for work
You have a broken ass phone and you're deliberating whether you should accept a new one for free?

Similar to the new s22. Apple efficiency is insane

How good are the dimensity socs? I'm deliberating on buying my first 5G phone

What do you guys do with your old phones or phones you don't want? I have my note9 and zenfone 8 but I ended up not liking it for sometime now so I want to get another phone but I don't know who'd want the note.

Attached: 1639441189966.png (325x386, 150.04K)

i usually fuck up the battery and blow them up in my backyard

The last time I bought a phone was 4 years ago. Are 5G and amoled screens something that's worth looking for in the $250ish price bracket?
I see a lot of recommendations for poco x3 pro that has neither of those things.

Fact is that a lot of compact cameras have sensors that aren't that much bigger than modern smartphone ones. They're both pretty small.
That said, phones and computational photography are getting really good, just needs more time still. However, I believe they're still never gonna get hugely better than something the likes of a compact camera or a similar form factor. Unless there's some revolutionary new sensor tech that breaks physics, they'll be limited to the level current algorithms can achieve.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Like, my 8 is kinda enough, unless I go full zoomer mode and have it on all day. None the less I love the feeling of getting home in the evening with like 50-70% battery left on just about any device I own. Same with storage, having 256gb on my 7 meant I never had to even think of worrying about capacity. 's comfy with how many videos and pictures I take.

Yes. I'm not a very demanding person, but more importantly I'm thinking of whether I could get something much nicer in the future.
Having said that... tbqh if I do everything right and shit goes well for us, I'm pretty sure by then I'd get something 'much nicer' if I just asked for it.

Yeah I'm feeling it, wouldn't have thought it but apparently that phone has crazy good battery life.

Left it in my drawer, usually, because by that time they're generally not very pleasant to use anymore.

Nothing. Mine just sat in my drawer gathering dust
My parents/siblings doesn't even want it
0 resell value whatsoever
Not even customisable (mediakek crap)

>compact cameras have sensors that aren't that much bigger than modern smartphone ones.

This. The only compact cameras that are worth getting are with at least APS-C sensors

Very good. My nord 2 doesnt heat up at all and battery life is awesome.

Attached: Screenshot_2022-04-02-15-01-35-90_0ba066473b79d6e213a1f6f52505e2ee.jpg (1080x2400, 262.94K)

>leaving them on the street
>giving it to mobile shops
>give them for free
I give away things that I don’t use or stopped using for whatever reason most of the time , charity or just because.. depends.

If you're getting one for free then yeah, go for it, SE22 is decent for basic stuff

Keep them in my shoebox or use them.

Somewhat. 5G is notably faster but by how much is another question. I guess it's a good idea to future-proof yourself when 4G eventually gets phased out.