/fat/ -  Friendly Apple Thread 

>Hackintosh
Wiki: wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Forums: insanelymac.com/forum/

>Ryzentosh
AMD Vanilla OpenCore: github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla/
OpenCore 0.6.9 - VMware Workstation 16 - AMD Ryzen: github.com/Ken5998/OpenCore-VMware-Workstation-AMD

>New to Mac OS?
Q&A Website: apple.stackexchange.com
Download a better terminal: iterm2.com
Terminal for beginners: makeuseof.com/tag/beginners-guide-mac-terminal/
Comprehensive terminal guide: swcarpentry.github.io/shell-novice/

>Package Managers
MacPorts: macports.org/install.php
Homebrew: brew.sh/
Fink: finkproject.org
Nix: wickedchicken.github.io/post/macos-nix-setup/

>If you come from a UNIX background
Note that Vim, microEmacs, and Nano come out of the box for editing files. To run programs using X, you need to install XQuartz (recommend way is through MacPorts).

>Useful Mac OS commands
setapp.com/how-to/show-hidden-files-on-mac
chriswrites.com/how-to-disable-virtual-memory-in-os-x/
osxdaily.com/2015/05/04/disable-gatekeeper-command-line-mac-osx/

>Assorted list of Mac OS tools
MacsFanControl: crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
The Unarchiver: apps.apple.com/us/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353
Amphetamine: apps.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704
BetterTouchTool: folivora.ai/
Yabai: github.com/koekeishiya/yabai
Rectangle: github.com/rxhanson/Rectangle

>iPhone / iPad Jailbreak
checkra.in/ (iPhone 5s - iPhone X, iOS 12.0+)
theodyssey.dev/ (iOS 13.0 - 13.7)
unc0ver.dev/ (iOS 11.0 - 14.3)

>iPhone / iPad Sideloading
altstore.io/

>The Wiki **WORK IN PROGRESS**
friendlyapple.miraheze.org/

>Other Resources
For vintage (m68k, PowerPC) devices, check out
and For iPods check out
Previous:
desuarchive.org/g/thread/86301998

Attached: IBook_flavors.jpg (800x467, 61.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases
support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro
everymac.com/systems/by_year/macs-released-in-2007.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I got my hands on a old Mac for free, says (C) 2007 Model A1226 on the bottom, but not even semi-new firefox runs on this thing probably because OS X 10.8.5 is too old .
Is it possible to still run a working MacOS release or should I give up any hope and install Linux?

That model should be able to run 10.11 El Capitan at newest. El Capitan is probably a good deal better than Mountain Lion, but it's definitely on the old side by now, the latest Firefox requires 10.12 Sierra. And unfortunately it looks like that model is too old for any of the patcher programs to support it.

You'd probably be best off with Linux, though might be able to get by still on OS X just not with the latest versions of most programs.

I don't have imessage activated on my Iphone, what causes the "you may be charged for facetime" popup to trigger? Losing carrier network and reconnecting?
Happens rarely but still fucking annoying when it pops mid-game.

I can't find the update on the app store, how the hell do I update this thing?
>though might be able to get by still on OS X just not with the latest versions of most programs.
Unfortunately right now Safari gives out SSL certificate errors so it's basically unusable.

github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases
or install Windows/Linux and use the recent versions

using an a1260 with snow leopard, are there any browsers that can handle the bogged-down, js-laden hellscape that is current year internet?
best so far is 'nightly', but it's based on firefox 52 and a good many sites are broken or just refuse to load

Attached: Screen shot 2022-04-01 at 12.43.49 AM.png (474x215, 42.14K)

you can use xquartz to access modern firefox or chrome on a remote linux machine

Is that your only machine? Or are you just trying to get some use out of an old machine lying around?

For some reason apple has a page up with links to download everything back to Yosemite, yet they don't just leave the App Store items listed.

only machine

Bump

Odds of 2022 Apple Pencil 3?

Core Duo MBPs can't use newer than I think Mavericks, the update after that, Catalina, required 64 bit. You're one year too late to use opencore to get newer versions installed - you can get everything up to Big Sur on 64 bit based intel MBPs.

That's why Core Duo MBPs are getting dirt cheap. Can't do nearly as much with them, with the Mac OS.

The cost of upgrading to an SSD and maxing out the ram would be around the same amount to get a newer MBP that would run newer versions of MacOS.

You have to do it manually, that machine is too old for the app store.

Older versions are floating around the internet, but I'm not gonna find them for you. Ever since Apple stopped charging for their OS, it's easy to find all of the installers.

It's FAG you stupid NIGGER
FRIENDLY APPLE GENERAL
Stop being such a FAGGOT

Posted from my M1 Mac Mini

Why would they clutter the App store up with installers for OSes that can't run the App Store? The Mac app store came out in like 2011/12, before that it was only for mobile devices.

That's not a Core Duo, Core Duo was only early 2006. Honestly kinda weird they even made them if they'd just waited half a year 32-bit intel macs wouldn't exist.
Core Duos top off all the way back on Snow Leopard, then Late 2006 is Lion, and everything newer officially supports up to El Capitan, nothing was dropped between Lion and El Capitan.

Four of the downloads on that page are on the Mac App Store, and the Mac App Store existed for every single version on that page. They're just unlisted for whatever reason.

Me again, just realized it looks like you confused Mojave (10.14) and Mavericks (10.9). Catalina simply dropped 32-bit apps, 32-bit computers had been unsupported for a *very* long time at that point. None of that really matters for the other user's computer though since it only got up to El Capitan (10.11) and was never supported by patchers.

A1226's are core duos.

everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html

Intel macbooks didn't come out until 2010.

>On April 13, 2010,[41] Intel Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs were introduced in the 15- and 17-inch models, while the 13-inch retained the Core 2 Duo with a speed increase.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

Stop correcting me when you don'td have a single fucking clue about this. Everything Apple was selling in 2007 was Core Duo, except for the Xeon based Pro.

everymac.com/systems/by_year/macs-released-in-2007.html

This has to be explained to you? Really?

Possibly, i've forgotten most of that old stuff from that era, I don't need it anymore.

I don't even have to click your link to see it proves you wrong. Late 2006 until 2010 was Core 2 Duo. Which is different. Core 2 Duo is 64-bit while Core Duo is 32-bit. *Intel* Core 2 Duo is also clearly intel, as mentioned 3 times on your own source.

Core i did indeed come out in 2010, but that's not relevant to literally anything I said, there are many Intel Core 2 Duo Macs that can run Monterey using OCLP, this one just happens to be one year too old.

Literally nothing on your page contradicts anything I said.