My company hired new developers, I'm responsible for the technical team, they asked a meeting to review my policies

My company hired new developers, I'm responsible for the technical team, they asked a meeting to review my policies.

They first questioned my way of creating logs for tasks because I wrote a SQL database with 3 tables:
> System: it records different values concerning the Device, the OS and its configuration and the User in order to check if they are ok or not
> Software: it records an array of values about what's the software, a description of what it does, the URL of the repo, and more
> DevLogs: it creates an ID connected to the software, it logs how it works, it has loglevels, error line references, a line message, and more
> Analytics: it has an ID connected to Software and the log batch in the DevLogs, it logs the quantity of the work, time, different KPIs in order to comprare the task with selected metrics

> Their want *.txt format, just a line with either OK or ERROR and a message
> They say they will add the "stuff" I want on the same line because "it isn't useful" and they linked me a randm KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) article...
> They say SQL is confusing and they could easily find errors with a CTRL+F and that log levels are also confusing
> They don't want fixed fields but the "freedom to express themselves"

> They asked me to remove the StackTrace because if it fails seeing everything red and a lot of words "makes them uncomfortable"
I said: It's a boolean flag, you can remove it by yourself, they told me I was being "mean",
> They don't know how to do it. I repeat: it's a fucking boolean flag. They added the area manager to the call saying I was harrassing them.

ALSO, I might add that the system table, the software table and many values for the DevLogs and the Analytics are FUCKING AUTOMATIC and that I've already written them.

> They say that they won't use the logs, that logging is a "symptom of distrust" and that logging "SLOWS THEM DOWN" and has "no real value"...

Attached: OIP.jpg (474x267, 17.99K)

they're right you sweaty, stupid virgin. your solution isn't simple and you're being a dick about it. get your head out of your ass before someone competent fires you.

Do you have a realistic chance of getting them all fired? If no, quit job without stating ANY reasons at all.

time to look for a new job

they're the trainees
you're the trainer

if they're not following along, then get authorization to cut them

sounds like someone will soon lose their job and have their thing replaced with some nodejs meme

What the fuck are you on? Explain at least incompentent ass

can you give more backgruond on them? male? age? expenricen? self taught or not? and what industry this company in?

> Industry
IT consulting
> Male
All but one
> Age
In their twenties
> Experience
Scripting experience @ uni
> Self taught or not
They studied maths, so they did an exam, so...

Yeah, I would definitely look for a new job... by the way the company is hardly looking for retention in the company. People keep leaving

>seeing everything red and a lot of words "makes them uncomfortable"

Attached: additional bit of hope.png (1309x284, 35.29K)

I told them that logging for errors and flaws IS indeed a good because the red and the words tell you that something IS wrong

> They answered back that in their previous job they didn't log the errors so the client could "see" if something was wrong and they only logged the positives...

That's frankly stupid.

So you're a spineless faggot who can't keep the juniors in line?

I'm not in charge of keeping them in line.

I don't teach. I work.

Just fuck with them until you find a new job. Start looking now.

It's stupid if you actually care about the quality of your work and want to improve your product.

But in the modern western world it's all about selling snakeoil to suckers, so hiding all the problems works better than showing them and being forced to resolve them, which costs additional time and money you could be pocketing instead while the sucker trusts that there's no actual problems because there's no paper trail showing problems exist.

They're going to quit you know. They always quit. I don't know how you are with your boss but I assume you get along better with them than they do. I am sure they do not care a single bit about the company they are working for. If I was you I'd explain to your boss that he has hired retards.

>I don't teach
Clearly not :gachiGASM:

I don't really understand the system that you are describing. What is the logging attached to? Some software that you are all working on? What are the logs used for? Compliance? Debugging?

The logging is attached to a family of softwares that we implemented and/or we are going to implement, they are customer-specific but they aren't behaviour-specific.

We are a B2B, the customer, let's say Verizon, asks for a batch of softwares to automate tasks and slim their workflow, there are many areas that could be slimmed but they all pertain Verizon, we log the data, this way we can see.

> Which area is more 'requested' across multiple customers\a customer
> How much time the devices are free and when, this way we can coordinate better software deployment and better workflows
> What kind of devices\technologies\software we are using in this way we can track the experience we make
> We can track what device cause problems across the company and avoid those kind of 'behaviour' if we catch the changes before the workflow starts
> The Analytics table is mainly devolved to see what the specific software does in terms of delivarable, time, FTEs, money and so on
> The DevLog, well, it's in the name, it's multipurpose, according to what you ask to get from the database you can debug or analyse the code to see what takes more time\space

The latter was particularly divise because I found out that many 'softwares' they make spend a lot of time doing nothing, occupying machines failing a lot (without reports) and giving very little in terms of deliverables and cashflow... This means we have to move from those comfy areas and program good stuff

so if I understand the situation correctly it is a complex distributed logging system which they want to replace with .txt files and do manual search over?

I don't know how anyone in this thread can take their side if that is the case. Why are they even giving input on the wider architecture?

Before I stepped in they used to receive by mail a .txt report of what happened, they made two different reports that I'll sum up:

> Subject of the mail containing the title of the software\project or just "Report" if they only monitored one project
> A boolean value "Is Started"
> A string value with "OK" if everything looked fine, or "ERROR at Line $line" which provides no value except the line of failure
> No logs of the data or proof that the script run correctly
> No format whatsoever or HTML in the email

The situation in my opinion is desperate because every project\software is heavily dependent on the programmer who wrote the software, isn't easily accesible by others and many of the softwares I dare to say are bad (with proof). Just being lines of operation, no SOLID or anything applied, no OOP or functional programming, just a complex way to write SUDO DO THIS basically, one instruction after the other.

So if variable A must be a Int32, just saying, but it's used at line 100 then you just get a mail saying:
> ERROR AT LINE 100

Good luck

>used to receive by mail a .txt report of what happened

+ basically everything else.

Holy shit.

And the irony of these brainlets linking to a KISS article surely can't be lost to them? I would probably leave the company at that point desu, I can't imagine working within the confines of an organization that designed that system/approved it/was fine with it. I can understand being incompetent, but to be that incompetent and still demand to have influence over the system design is a bit fucking rich.