/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Note: This general is hijacked often, fake troll threads link to anti-windows rantings or shill random software, report and ignore them.
Use the feedback form: 4channel.org/feedback

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions.
Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips & tricks that enhance your life with Windows.

Remember: Notice the friendly - please be civil when possible.

>Paste
rentry.org/fwt

>Installing Windows for retards:
rentry.org/windows_for_retards

FAQ:
>Where can I get the ISOs?
>How do I activate?
>Can I change editions after install?
>Where do I get Office?
read the paste: rentry.org/fwt
>Which version should I get?
Anything except Home/Pro.

>How do I debloat Windows 10 or 11?
Offline (pre-install): rentry.org/mdl-optimize-guide
Online (live install): privatezilla / thisiswin11 (and dont mindlessly tick everything)
Don't mix offline & online tools with each other.

>Is Optimize-Offline worth it?
No.

>Can I upgrade to LTSC 2021?
Only from previous LTSC builds w/o doing the upgrade matrix hack in rentry paste.

>LTSC or LTSC IoT?
Same thing just different licensing and support.
LTSC for corporate PCs/devices with 5 years support (KMS only).
LTSC IoT for consumer devices with 10 years support (HWID only).

>Do I even need LTSC?
All versions of W10 are essentially LTSC now getting mostly security updates as development of new features has shifted focus to W11.
W10 Home/Pro/Edu/Enterprise editions are all EoL in 2025 (2027 for LTSC) whereas IoT LTSC will be supported until 2032.

>I already run Windows 7, but don't want to clean install?
The non-LTSC installers can upgrade.

>Are homebrew ISOs safe (Gen2/Ameliorated)?
No, use only official Microsoft images.

/fwt/ spammer aka staxshill filter (4chanX): pastebin.com/F0Trfkfq

Previous thread:

Attached: windows-logo-alesiamjau.png (800x600, 3.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/software-download/windows11)
gitgud.io/wackyideas/aerothemeplasma
github.com/webbersmak/Orvina
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f
diskpart.com/windows-7/how-to-make-partition-in-windows-7-after-installation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If I were to download Windows 11 from the official Microsoft link (microsoft.com/software-download/windows11) I can still run KMS like normal, right? Or can I just download 11 from TechBench and follow the same steps?

>I can still run KMS like normal, right?
Yes

>no kani
dead fake thread
fuck off

So my dad's hard drive is FUCKED. I'm currently copying his shit over to a USB in safe mode because his windows explorer keeps crashing every 10 seconds. Gonna take hours because he has so many gigs of useless fucking pictures of every fucking thing he's ever taken a picture for from his ebay auctions.

I'm fucking talking to him trying to get him to let me save his files and shit and he's too worried about his windows live photo gallery program that he uses to edit all his photos because for what he does, which is mostly ebay auctions, that program is the best.
Is it possible to get him his windows live photo gallery on windows 10? It should be but I'd like confirmation.
Or how easy is it to put windows 7 on an SSD because he likes 7? Because I want him to have an SSD and I think any prebuilt HP the store is gonna sell is gonna have an SSD. I told him not to pay for a windows license because I can get him that but I'd like to know about his prized windows live photo gallery.

Alternatively is there a program like that where he can edit the brightness really easily? I'm dealing with a literal boomer here so he doesn't want any other program but is there an easy program for a boomer to quickly slide some brightness and contrast sliders to edit a photo in under a minute? He goes through a shitload of photos with this program and for him it's really easy.

Sorry if I'm not clear enough. I wagied for 8 hours today then came home to a literal boomer with a broken computer.

Nevermind, I just got the photo gallery on my windows 10 machine and it works.
But I'd still like to know how Windows 7 runs on an SSD. I never installed Windows 7 on an SSD.

do i get a free upgrade to w11 education if i have w10 education?
is the upgrade worth it yet btw

you should install kubuntu on his computer and theme it as win7
gitgud.io/wackyideas/aerothemeplasma
You will be able to install it on ssd without a problem

I am dealing with a literal boomer here. It's gotta be windows.

I got a Windows 11 laptop from work and I fucking hate it. Don't. 10 is better.

so? unix is way simplier to understand than windows hot mess regedit dos faak

linux doesn't even have a single working image editor

If you're looking for an easy to use text searching tool, check out Orvina. Windows built in text search is called findstr and it sucks

github.com/webbersmak/Orvina

Attached: memes.png (450x450, 304.09K)

Why can't this garbage say the truth? Why does it have the need to lie?

Attached: niggeros.png (1365x394, 203.9K)

Bump

how can i assign a .bat file to a keyboard shortcut

Bump

Windows 7 runs great on a SSD. Even a cheap SATA SSD will run super fast.
You can get Windows 7 on NVMe if you preload the driver, although your dad wont notice the speed difference for what he's doing.
Windows 7 is highly based and redpilled.
>filtered by regedit
ngmi but also you never have to use regedit in normal operation, or you can just double click .reg and .exe files from other people to fix problems
autohotkey

why no cute anime girl? 😭

Can I go back to win 10 from win 11 WITHOUT losing my data? I don't care about problems I can install those again but my music, etc is too big to make backups of.

what are you partitions? is everything on C:/? or do you keep "your data" somewhere else?

All my data is in the "documents" and "music" etc folders in c:/ there's no lose files in root directory or the like.

How big is your music folder?

My fucking clock keeps going out sync.
>windows 10 btw

Attached: 1436965808876.gif (640x360, 1.17M)

bout 300gb

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f
it states here that you can go back to windows 10 "the easy way" only within 10 days of upgrading

>All my data is in the "documents" and "music" etc folders in c:/ there's no lose files in root directory or the like.
not good in your case, it's better to partition the disk so the system can be on one partition and personal stuff on other or others, then it's much easier to change only the system.

your best bet would be to follow this guide:
diskpart.com/windows-7/how-to-make-partition-in-windows-7-after-installation.html (should work on W11 as well)
make a new partition and put all your stuff on it, then just get the W10 .iso, reformat the C:/ partition only and install W10 there, leaving the partition with your stuff untouched, still will take some time but I suppose it's better than buying 3x128GB pendrives