Real Programming Utility

Do you have any practical/personal uses for your programming knowledge? Post examples itt.

I was thinking of learning a programming language but if it's just for a job that's pretty soul crushing. How has your knowledge enriched your computer life? It seems like it would be useful for those of us who already spend 10+ hours at our PCs.

Attached: 97122599_p0.png (900x1200, 552.86K)

It's like philosophy. Not needed but if you like it, it's something that can enrich your life, sharpen your brain, and give you an interesting pastime that you can keep working on throughout your life.

SEX SEX SEX

yeah, my day job has nothing to do with software dev. I've build a tool which monitors ebay auctions to find good deals for my other hobbies

Attached: 1623254740858.png (714x532, 321.94K)

Can you describe this tool a bit? How did you build it, nothing super specific or technical please. Is it a greasemonkey script? An actual executable? Pardon me if these questions sound retarded, I have no professional training in these things.

i'm currently learning C for expading my C++ knowledge, and maybe using it over C++ in some projects. i'm planning on becoming a gamedev, or at least a software dev, so performance matters deeply to me
>How has your knowledge enriched your computer life?
everything started making more sense when i started learning how to code, like, i understand more of what my computer does. most of it has to do with learning about operating systems in general, but programming definitely helped too.
>I was thinking of learning a programming language but if it's just for a job that's pretty soul crushing. [...] It seems like it would be useful for those of us who already spend 10+ hours at our PCs.
not really. you don't need to learn how to program if you don't want to. programming is all about solving problems, and developing tools and algorithms that solve those problems. if you're learning it just because your boss/superior told you to, you shouldn't be. also, there are people who spend 10+ hours at the pc and don't see the need at learning how to code. it depends on what you do, or want to do

have an emote

sure. it's a small python script which gets executed once a day. It grabs the newest listing for several search terms and stores it in a small database. It checks the new listings against the existing database. When a listing is really cheap it shows me the links to those products

>also, there are people who spend 10+ hours at the pc and don't see the need at learning how to code. it depends on what you do, or want to do
>
>have an emote
Unironically the emote event is one of the reasons I started thinking about this again, the fact I have no real idea how it works and apparently it's some service GookMoot is using that leaks personal (albeit meaningless) data from phone users really makes me want to know more about how the programs and websites I use work in detail. Some people even managed to cheese the system it seems and unlock all of the emotes for whatever reason, or at the least mess with people who assume this to be possible. That sounds fun and cool.

I see, that's pretty neat user. I just have one more likely stupid question, if you don't mind. Do you execute the script manually? Or is it automated somehow.

>apparently it's some service GookMoot is using that leaks personal (albeit meaningless) data from phone users
The "sent from my" messages? Those are from some third party Any Forums browsing app's April Fool's joke.

:OpenBASED:

>Do you have any practical/personal uses for your programming knowledge?
Recently I wrote a Kodi addon for watching currently airing anime, that was fun.
Next project is either making a shitty desktop app in Clojure, or making a clone of a site with Phoenix.
Probably do the second, since it's more time sensitive.
Plenty of other smaller projects too, and being able to program helps with sysadmin shit.

>How has your knowledge enriched your computer life?
Makes it easier to use GNU/Linux and fix/write my own shit rather than relying on other people.

>Do you have any practical/personal uses for your programming knowledge? Post examples itt.
There aren't many creative pieces of software that don't let you use user made scripts. If you like making things even in proprietary software, it's a very valuable skill, because only you know what you want from your software. Nobody but you can make the weird functions you want that other people would find useless. Unfortunately, not everyone - in fact, only a small minority, are actually good enough to achieve this. Any Forums complains on a daily basis that most programmers are fucking retarded, knowing how to write code and knowing how to write it well are two different things.

>post examples
I don't think I will. You've got enough info there for your survey.

I use programming for all sorts of stuff. Simple computations, scraping images off of websites, moving/renaming files, extracting video game assets, etc.

Here's a screenshot of a tool I made to view models in the RuneScape cache.

Attached: Untitled.png (1226x878, 306.66K)

It's automated. All major operating systems have scheduling systems. This allows you to execute something every day or every hour or more complicated schedules

>I was thinking of learning a programming language but if it's just for a job that's pretty soul crushing
I spent my teen years getting really into graphics programming, applying the skills I learned to game dev as a hobby, but later managed to turn it into a career in meteorology of all things. If you find a niche you really enjoy working in, it isn't quite as soul crushing.

>personal uses for your programming knowledge?
I like making vidya, besides that I just like programming stuff to help me out with other kinds of visual work. Shaders, scripts for shit like Blender, etc. I guess it isn't practical as much as it's just artsy.
You could do everything I do with minimal coding knowledge but there's something fulfilling about knowing how everything works and not being limited by whatever programs you're using to accomplish something

Attached: 1605232999997.gif (377x350, 98.68K)

a dataminer for a mobile waifu game, some minecraft mods and my own shitty private boorus

I made some ahk scripts to shitpost automatically
now I can continue being annoying while afk

How's that work with the captcha?

I'm building my own compiler for my own programming language right now. I'm planning to write an OS once I'm done with that I guess.

>pic
sex

I don't use it for this website
but hypothetically you can run an exe from an ahk to solve it
if you have too much free time you can have fun setting that up