/dmp/ - Digital Music Production

Where do I start? What DAW should I use?
rentry.org/dmpdoc

>Where can I learn about using trackers?
resources.openmpt.org/tracker_handbook/handbook.htm

----------

Previously on /dmp/:

>album money starts pouring in, heart of gold user decides to give it all away
>user wants to learn how to make dark choirs
>new MPE controller released
>user is cursed with perfectionism
>user makes lewd anime song
>86294961

----------

>Any Forums makes another album
Artist: Anonymous
Theme: Any Forums memes (optionally hip hop)
Title: REAL NI/g/g/AZ
Cover art:desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1641/99/1641996425742.jpg
Submission deadline: Midnight between the 6th and the 7th of April (UTC)
Upload the file somewhere and post the link here.
If possible use a lossless format and upload to a file-sharing service, not to a music site like SoundCloud or Vocaroo.
IMPORTANT: Include the title of the song in the post, don't rely on us reading it from the filename or tags.
IMPORTANT: The theme won't be enforced. It's preferrable to submit an in-theme song, but if it isn't it won't be excluded.
Current submissions (incomplete list):The next album will be a sample challenge. Please post title and cover suggestions, as well as the samples that will be used for the songs.
Same deadline as above.
Current title and cover suggestion:desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1645/10/1645106405801.jpg

>Where can I hear the previous albums?
rentry.org/dmpalbums

----------

Previous thread:

Attached: Random Access Memes [half size].png (1500x1500, 3.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

audioz.download/software/207480-download_refx-nexus-4-complete-mac-win-au-vst-vst3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=93A1ryc-WW0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump with greatness
extreme faggotry: denied.

Attached: 1631299942934.png (1565x720, 1.19M)

🤓

🤖

This will sound like a retarded question but bear with me please.
Knobs/parameters where you set an amount of semitones (like in a synth's oscillator settings) are setting a value that is intrinsically relative to another value (the base frequency that you're increasing or decreasing by adding/subtracting semitones in the interface).
On the other hand, parameters where you insert a Hz value can be both absolute (where you just set a specific frequency, like a filter's cutoff) and relative (like a frequency shifter where you set by how much, in Hertz, you want to shift the signal).
Relative parameters are almost always bipolar, since in most cases you can increase and decrease the base parameter, but absolute ones?
Have you ever seen an absolute parameter where you can go into the negative Hz/ms/etc? Or if you haven't, can it even ever make sense in some situation?

>TL;DR:
If a parameter is just a value and not something that increases or decreases another value, can it be bipolar and go into the negatives?

Attached: 1612531041351.png (610x598, 468.21K)

OH SHIT
audioz.download/software/207480-download_refx-nexus-4-complete-mac-win-au-vst-vst3.html

Attached: Refx NEXUS 4 Complete MAC WIN AU VST VST3.png (649x1875, 438.42K)

Extremely interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=93A1ryc-WW0

Never thought about it but no, such a thing probably doesn't even make sense.
DB and time are inherently relative themselves, which really only leaves frequency, and there's no such thing as a negative tone so...

I suppose if you wanted to stretch the definition you could say any frequency signal with it's phase flipped lol

ANGY >:(

>procrastinate all of last month
>didn't finish the song
>get additional month to finish it
>only minor things left to do, should me easy
>procrastinate all of the second month as well
There's still time, right?

Yeah I can't think of anything myself, but maybe something where you don't set a frequency that's directly heard in the spectrum, but a frequency that controls/modulates something else in some weird way?
I guess some weird aliasing foldback effect where you push frequencies below zero so they get reflected back?
Anyway, if it's so rare tha we can't even think of a possible situation for it, it doesn't matter, thank you very much anyway lol.

>DB and time are inherently relative themselves
Is time relative (using this definition of relative)?
Like if you set a delay time of 20ms, isn't it just delaying the signal by 20ms? I don't understand what it's relative to.

Actually I'm retarded and what I said in the first paragraph here makes zero sense, since Hz parameters CAN be relative and go in the negative, as I myself mentioned in the example here

>where you don't set a frequency that's directly heard in the spectrum
I mean 1^(-∞) is technically the lowest note/frequency, and we only perceive the absolute value (negative is technically just a phase shift).

I have trouble with this kind of thinking t b h, but I afaik as soon as you even implement the concept of "negative" that makes it inherently relative because it means there has to be an arbitrary "0" that's been set, so the question doesn't really make sense.

>isn't it just delaying the signal by 20ms? I don't understand what it's relative to.
it's relative to 0ms
20 seconds doesn't exist in the song without the previous 19, or some relative signal etc

>1^(-∞)
meant 1*10^(-∞)

sorry I haven't had to use scientific notation for a long time lol

Wait I don't think I explained it correctly. I'm just talking about parameter values here.
By absolute I mean a value where you just set a value and that's the value that ends up in the plugin.
By relative I mean something where the value you set (A) alone is meaningless because it just serves to change another value (B) by whichever amount A is set.

For example, any "semitone" parameter will be relative because you can't do anything with just "+12st". You need another number (the base note/frequency) that will be changed based on the semitone value you set.

A frequency shifter like pic related does have a negative Hz parameter because its value is relative to whatever the frequency/frequencies of the input signal are.
You give it a sine at 1kHz and put the knob to -100Hz to end up with a sine at 900Hz.
This example shows what a relative Hz parameter is.
An ABSOLUTE Hz parameter on the other hand, is the filter cutoff, where the value you set is the frequency you end up with. It doesn't change another value.

A delay time knob is just the amount of time that the signal is being shifted by. It doesn't change another value, so it's absolute.

My question is:
Relative values work by altering another number so they will go up in the positive to increase it and down in the negative to decrease it.
Absolute values as far as I know, are only unipolar, so I'm asking, are there parameters that don't function by altering another value, that still go both in the positive and negative?

Attached: Frequancy-Shifter-Perc-Sound-Design.gif (324x300, 203.25K)

👌