/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ - Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks - shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

Previous Thread

Attached: iStock_000020323398_Medium-683x1024.jpg (683x1024, 291.65K)

i got pwned and lost everything

what happened user?

>he didn't buy HDDs yesterday
>he missed black friday pricing on HDDs
Why did you do it, user?

Any advice on setting up music streaming from my server lads?
I was kind of hoping that's what MPD did, but it appears not.
I basically just want to have my music collection on my server and a client program on my other computers to connect to and listen to it. At the moment I'm doing this kind of janky mount as network drive and have my programs search the network drive. Is there anything better?

I'm running FreeBSD 13.

Attached: 3hond9rrl0271.png (589x670, 512.55K)

story?

but that's what MPD does, client app that connects to the server to stream the music, what is it that you didn't like with it?

I want to kill myself.
A fucking bend sata cable was corrupting data left and right.
I was troubleshooting this shit for a whole day.

Attached: 1325015073417.jpg (300x239, 45.01K)

don't feel bad, I once spent a whole afternoon frantically trying to fix a friend's computer, I thought I'd completely bricked it, wouldn't even power on. What was it? Busted USB port on the case was shorting +5v to ground, and the PSU noticed that and shut itself off immediately. Unplugged it and everything worked.

Why are there random IP addresses from in my edgerouter traffic analysis? Did I get pwned or is it just a bug?

you're fucked. nuke it all.

I'm budgeting a few drives, just to toy around with different raid configs (dev moving in to admin, because learning is fun). Obviously there are some super cheap HDs out there which I won't touch. Anything wrong with a handful of WD blues?

I just fired up yt-dlp for the first time in a long time and it seems to be really prone to throttling now 😢 Is that just me, or are they plagued by problems now like how youtube-dl got rekt? Did everyone switch over from yt-dlp to something else?

womm, maybe try using cookies

No, if anything yt-dlp has a problem with too much speed, since the ratelimit option is broken right now.

idk if this belongs here or /sqt/, but what's the cheapest used mini pc that can function as a home router?

> cheapest used
Local and depends on the moment
> function as a home router
Actually just get an OpenWRT compatible access point and/or router? It'll use less power. Available from like $25 even new, but used it gets as low as it gets.

stop buying brand names. set up a proper raid arraid and then it doesn't matter what poorfag drives you fill it up with

You know what? You're right. Buy a spare and it doesn't matter. With the small IO of a home system for fucking with, outside of horrendous QC issues, there should be nothing to worry about.

I would still rather get a better HDD less downtime and things going wrong the better also not much more money if you shuck

for

what is that software that backs up directories into text files? thanks