Why don't Any Forums users host their own data? Are they afraid of internet bandits?

Why don't Any Forums users host their own data? Are they afraid of internet bandits?

Attached: nextclood.png (2000x1418, 92.21K)

Who says I don't

Sent from my samsung - SM-G9700

I have nothing to share

if I want to access my files and I'm not at home, I have sftp for that

Nextcloud just seems to be more hassle than its worth. I'd never use it for more than fileshare, so the rest is meaningless to me.

Unironically you're better off with Nextcloud on your own metal hardened as much as your abilities allow than the mainstream cloud offerings with their constant leaks, vulnerabilities and unpredictable downtimes.
You still need to know what you're doing, keep the OS and the service and the clients updated, and don't forget that a cloud is NOT a backup.

With all that in mind, someone else's computer, never again. I'm still ashamed I allowed myself to go the easy way and use iCloud. Apple even punishes you like a psycho ex when you leave and take all your stuff:
>it's impossible to preserve album structure when downloading the photos
>it's impossible to download more than 1000 photos at a time when using web UI
>iCloud app for Windows doesn't allow you to download everything in original quality
>you'll wait for days when you request your data in .zip archives

Anything's better than google cloud as one user had to find out for himself

Attached: 1620342861413.png (975x781, 499.65K)

If something as easy to deal with as nextcloud is more hassle than it's worth then you shouldn't even be posting here.
It's what, a docker container, certbot and a cron job? 10 minutes tops.

Attached: 1644510356600.jpg (621x539, 78.24K)

>docker
I run it on bare Debian/Apache/php

Sent from my Xiaomi - Redmi Note 7

I use it for files, calendar, and contacts.

I have it on an OdroidXU4.

I don't put personal info on other people's computers and with this I have virtually infinite space.

I'd if it wasn't a hassle to port forward because isp blocks it

what isp blocks 80/443? how does that even work?

fuck if i know how but can never reach it

>not using CloudflareTM Tunnel

kek just setup a reverse proxy. make it pass from 80/443 to your nextcloud instance. forward 80/443 to your proxy.

>defeating the purpose of not using botnet

It's pretty nice once you have it, you can integrate it into windows / Linux desktop file browser as well as add it as a cloud location in Android. Works exactly like any other cloud feature which means you can backup files and pictures to a non-pozzed personally owned locations.
Just that alone is handy but applications inside of it are synced too so the notes app will sync from your phone to your own server which then you can backup.

TF are you doing exposing everything to the public. Don't be a nigger, set up OpenVPN or WireGuard. And if your ISP blocks you, set up a jump box in AWS and be done with it.
>but muh botnet
Enable SSL.
You deserved to be hanged from your testicles.

I ran it from a VPS for a while but didn't wanna pay the fees, if I host it locally I'll probably just keep is on my LAN only. It's hand enough to sync my phone with my NAS and enable my own backups, I don't really need it out and about to sync.

>running on ports 80/443 in a home network
Lol, use something like 9003 or something brainlet

I setup my nextcloud on an Ubuntu server(too lazy to read thru the compose file they had) and have it running on like port 8832 with https. The file sharing is great(I can make a share link and share uncompressed files to friends and family). Can even share mods that are gigs in size with friends if I want to play some CoD WaW mod maps with friends.
One of the best things is the ebook reader application, that lets me have a massive library of ebooks that I can read from anywhere that I don't have a monthly subscription for and won't get removed. I can also have a ridiculous amount of ebooks, my Nextcloud storage is 1.75TB of SSD's in a RAIDZ1.

Time to upgrade, plebs

Attached: nextclout.png (1714x1272, 474.94K)

i did but figured it was moot. it's on a domain and my pfsense logs show about every port getting hit once a week anyways. easier to tell normie family example.com and just use a standard port.

Bandwidth caps and shit upload speed, mainly.