Codec Thread

Now that AV1 BTFOs both HEVC and VP9 at the same encoding speed, why is it not more widely adopted? Where are the AV1 releases on rarbg?

Attached: 1626049488980.png (1000x623, 71.19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@ewoutterhoeven/av1-is-ready-for-prime-time-svt-av1-beats-x265-and-libvpx-in-quality-bitrate-and-speed-31c1960703db
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scene is too retarded with their retarded rules to adopt something awesome like AV1 codec

It'll happen give it time, in 4 years you'll be arguing
>Megacodec better than av1 hurr durr why is nobody using it

When will HIROMOOT come to his senses and enable AV1 support?

That guy is too retarded to adopt simpler things like AVIF images to reduce bandwidth consumption let alone enable AV1 support on Any Forums

1. No hardware support. inb4 cope
2. H266 will be out soon, and hardware manufacturers and release groups want better future proofing.

>No hardware support

Doesn't Nvidia Ampere, AMD RDNA 2 and Intel Arc all support AV1 decoding?

>Now that AV1 BTFOs both HEVC and VP9 at the same encoding speed
source?

Googles TV streaming devices support it too.

1. All new GPUs and phones support decoding, intels new gpu will support encoding it as well
2. Now that I think about it, it's really fucked how fast these new codecs are coming out compared to the adoption rate. Most of the shit online still uses AVC for "compatability" reasons. Seems like every year a new codec comes out with 30% gains but we are just barely starting to record phone videos in hevc

>H266 will be out soon

H.265 is already out and no one except Apple and old-school traditional broadcasters (who are fading into obscurity) and Blu-ray manufacturers (which is also going into obscurity) even gave a damn. Microsoft makes people pay for the codec to watch H.265 videos in Windows while they offer AV1 support for free. All the major streaming services are on board with AV1.

I don't see how H.266 will be any different.

And what percentage of the world would actually own said devices? And no crypto miners don't count.
That's like saying hardware support exists because some lab madr an asic for it.
There's a lot of money to be made in video, and compared to other media formats there is a lot of money to be saved in making it smaller too.
>phones
Which ones?

Many hardware companies may be waiting to introduce a hardware AV1 decoder until they can also implement a hardware H266 decoder at the same time since they're sorta both the same generation of codecs.

medium.com/@ewoutterhoeven/av1-is-ready-for-prime-time-svt-av1-beats-x265-and-libvpx-in-quality-bitrate-and-speed-31c1960703db

Most new PC laptops are going to be shipping with Intel Arc which will have AV1 support built in. When people buy those laptops, they get AV1 hardware acceleration out of the box.

Attached: Intel-Arc-Die-ersten-Notebook-GPUs-sind-gestartet.jpg (1920x1080, 315.54K)

>Which ones
Any phones that want to be able to decode youtube videos.

Every scene group worth giving a shit about releases in h265, good enough of a reason for me no reason to waste my breath arguing with you otherwise. "On board" is such a weasel word btw, makes you almost as slimy as those corpos who shill for av1 for better mpeg bargains yet won't ever use it themselves.
Interesting. Looks like av1 may have a fighting chance after all. Not that it's a good thing in my opinion.
Yes, but which ones? This time without the cope.

With a team like this, AV1 is a force to be reckoned with.

Attached: screenshot-aomedia.org-2022.03.31-18_33_42.png (1395x1180, 241.51K)

I'm not gonna keep talking to an Access Advance LLC shill, this thread is for real discussion

Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 will have AV1 support.
Literally the last straw that makes MPEG faggots kiss themselves

Personally im waiting for AV2.

Attached: 1624506554909.png (736x470, 141K)

>Interesting. Looks like av1 may have a fighting chance after all. Not that it's a good thing in my opinion.

It's a good thing in my book because screw royalties. The world is finally going to embrace a FOSS video format and all Linux users will have free access to a universal high efficiency video codec from day one, and all distros will be free to ship with it, unlike the royalty nightmare that was H.264.

very nice, so it's svt-av1 the new x265? as in the new standard for home encoding with avisynth, ffmpeg, etc.