Is it bloat?

is it bloat?

Attached: Flatpak_logo.png (256x256, 63.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html
ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future
flatkill.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Looks like wood, 2/3 of a complete box

Yes. Nix is better.

Everything above 8 bits is bloat

To this day I still don't get the point of flatpaks, snaps and appimages.

what's wrong with flatpaks?

nothing. I just dont see a reason to use them unless you REALLY dont trust an app

no

What do you mean?
They're just ways for a developer to package up their shitty program and manage their own release cycles rather than leaving it up to distro maintainers.

No. They tend to have much more up-to-date packages than distro repos.

>software doesn't break when dependencies like glibc break stuff 2 years down the line
>developer only has to package software for Linux once
>on Arch, if packagers fuck up the dependencies like they did with Evolution a week ago, your flatpak software still works and you don't have to wait for an update
>on stable/lts releases, you can get new software
>sandboxing for better security on Wayland
>less burden on every distro to package userland software and focus on system packages (e.g. Arch's core repo)

Useful when the app isn't packaged for your distro

$ guix pack flatpak
GNU Guix is better than Bloatpak.
guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html
ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future

Attached: suika sushi.jpg (2560x1440, 750.49K)

Source-based distros are better than Flatpak, I agree, but not everyone wants to wait for shit to compile or has enough neurons to figure it out

They don't really offer any security. flatkill.org/

So this is the power of flatpak

Attached: Screenshot_20220329_022242.png (1039x311, 70.27K)

Sandboxing malicious apps is the wrong tack to take anyway imo, and this isn't the selling point of Flatpak but rather just an extension of the "security by default" attitude they're taking to Linux. Even if it does result in being a security meme, that's better than ignoring security altogether, because maybe, eventually, they'll get it right.

just use debian lmao
everything is fine on debian because of Ubuntu

>use app that wants specific permissions
>t-the sandbox doesn't work!
Also flatseal is a thing schizo retard.

The more flatpaks you have, the less this is an issue. It's the price you pay for updated, never-breaking, easily-packaged and easy-to-install software.

Or you could stop trying to use a stable server distro in a desktop.

Is having a private bathroom in your apartment bloat?
The point of containers is to bundle everything you need into the unit
Sharing a toilet with everyone on your floor kinda sucks

my company is looking at snap+Ubuntu core to replace our aging CentOS 7 target.
Ubuntu core is actually a pretty neat ecosystem if you're trying to manage a device os image and applications.
snap itself is interesting in that it is a signed squashfs image with strict security guarantees from apparmor. I don't like it more than rpm/deb for packaging, but it sure makes a lot of sense for distribution to an end device.

i don't understand how removing something from an already perfectly minimal fingerbox makes it bloated

wrong. desktop software always is second class and gets shafted by the maintainer trannies in favor of nodejs apache shit even on unstable.