Init systems

How actually usable are the non-SystemD distros as daily drivers? Is there a significant gap in software availability for other init systems? Any big disadvantages worth knowing about? Please share opinions on Artix, Void, Devuan, Slackware, etc.

Attached: Systemd-vs-openRC.jpg (730x430, 42.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Runit on Void does basically the same thing but it's easier to use. Can't speak to others but avoid hacked together shit like Devuan or Artix. Use a distro built with an alternative init in mind like Gentoo, Slackware, or Void.

I've never EVER run into a situation where I couldn't do something that waa otherwise possible with SystemD.

get a job and you'll stop worrying about it

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

the only non basedstemd init I used runit on artix, It worked just fine except all the shitty baseline arch patchwork made me jump to fedora after being on the arch branch for a few uears

Oh I also ised it on Void

artix with s6 is the white man's choice

trying to use gnu shepherd is very punishing. it freezes easily, it's nearly impossible to debug, there's few services available, it's poorly documented, etc. i hope for it to improve over time. a new concurrent version was just released on a dev branch that will hopefully fix some of the problems.

i just use whats popular so i dont have to fuck around on google fixing problems even if the program is technically better. systemd worx and it does it well.

>get a job and you'll stop worrying about it

Attached: rage.gif (125x125, 2.46M)

>get a job and you'll stop worrying about everything bro
>no time for it you'll be to busy working
sounds fun yeah

>have to fuck around on google fixing problems
This is my experience with systemD

Thanks anons. I've been using EndeavourOS for a while and finding it very comfy. Is Artix janky in comparison to Void? Interested in trying Slackware and Gentoo but their reputation is pretty intimidating especially Gentoo

I've been running Artix for several years, no issues. Workstation for work, and laptops, kids NUC machines, one file server. It all worked great.

Arch went full retard when systemD was spreading. It felt like the implementors/decision makers were bought off and rejected all criticism. Debian had no balls of their own and they just followed Ubuntu. Redhat were the niggers that pushed this shit on the world, but thankfully people forked things and spun better options.
I wonder what it cost to buy these faggots off? maybe a few thousand each? total peanuts for the massive attack vector it introduced into linux.
total cancer and rampant faggotry.

Attached: upgrayedd.png (621x923, 116.21K)

>Is Artix janky in comparison to Void?
I can't speak from experience because I haven't used Artix, but Void uses modified version of runit and isn't juggling support for four different init systems.
I won't say either one is better overall but at least regarding runit things will be better integrated on Void.

idk. just werx for me. what kind of problems did you have?

it doesn't work

If you want to use a non-systemd that's fine, but if you ever plan on working as a software dev, it's helpful to know systemd since lots of software out there in industry running Linux will use systemd as it's init system.

S6 seems really nice when I read about it

>Artix
protest distro

>void
looks cool, but its got random holes on the road

>devuan
protest distro. just look at the usernames of the maitainers

>slackware
they released 14.2, waited a really long time to get to 15, and changed to a rolling release model in the middle. their site has not been updated in 5 years. its more of an underground cult, not a distro.

on systemd:
read about why systemd appeared, what problem it solved.

also, it works on a 486. keep that in mind

Gnu Shepard
/thread

What's wrong with being a protest distro if it still works?

it sucks when it fails but at least it has nice features when it works