/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1623944437172.png (800x600, 679.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/title/Window_manager
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like MATE.
I like how lightweight it is, I like that it can be scaled and I like that most of the themes for it have a "classic" look.
I am worried that GNOME might fuck something up on the GTK side, Should I switch to Plasma?
Another WM I would use is WindowMaker which I like verry much but it is fucking tiny on my HiDPI display.
If I could somehow scale WindowMaker it would be great choice since it is not coupled to a big framework like GTK or QT and is pretty much still the same thing it was in 1997.
What do you anons think?

Wasn't the whole reason libadwaita was created so anything that GNOME itself does doesn't effect other DEs that use GTK? I find it very hard to leave MATE because of how nice, clean and light it is. Plasma 5 is cool though, lots of bells and whistles. Heavier though.

KDE5 looks and feels like a quantum puzzle to me. I'm overwhelmed by all the buttons.

Redpill me on the W windowing system which was the precursor of X

W comes before X in the English alphabet.

Sometimes I use Vim. Sometimes I don't use Vim. But I never use Emacs.

So anyone knows what do I need to do in order to get tyrano builder games working on Linux?
I won't post about this after this thread.

Attached: console.jpg (293x237, 47.39K)

No
>I won't post about this after this thread
Thanks

That's not very friendly user.

I've played teaching feeling through wine, so I know it works. It was a while ago though, but I know I didn't have to do anything complicated, just the usually tomfoolery: try both 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes, try launching with LANG=ja or LANG=ja_JP, run winecfg and change the compatibility to various options (I usually have luck with winxp or win7), or open winetricks and try installing some random shit like ie6, .net, direct x, maybe some fonts

What's up with Pipewire not turning on like a default service when you install it in Artix? Unlike in Arch where you install the packages and it just werks?

it worked out of the box for me using wine-ge-custom
i could install regular wine-staging and try it again if you like, i'm the person who took those game screenshots
i used the default 64bit prefix, not 32bit like you did, but the program is 32bit so it's probably not that
can you verify other 3D programs are working in wine for you? sanity check

because you're not using systemd, so you don't benefit from it's socket activation capability

I see, that's pretty sucky then.
How would you go around making it turn on on boot then for OpenRC?

look up how to enable services in openrc
i haven't used openrc since 2011 so i don't remember exactly

wiki.archlinux.org/title/Window_manager
There are too many options for window managers. It looks like they put any window manager they knew in the article , most of them look to be dead projects.
What are actual options for officially supported window managers? Preferably tilling

Guys havin some trouble here
my computer is running a Ryzon 3 APU and it seems to work perfectly with Xubuntu 20.04
My Geforce GTX 1050 on the other hand doesn't want to work right at all
now I've got a list of proprietary drivers and I've been installing them one at a time on the live thumb drive to test them out but so far no luck, I'm making a clean drive now to try to install them again
the available drivers are: 510, 450, 470, 460, 455, 390, 465, 495, server 510, server 450, and a couple others I forgot to write down
any idea which would be best for my system?

Off the top of my head there's i3, bspwm, awesome, dwm, qtile, sway, xmonad, icewm, openbox, fluxbox. All worth taking a peek.

in my experience without systemd you have to run pipewire as your user (not a service) or else it wont function
i just have "pipewire &" added to my .xinitrc so it starts when i start xorg

What's Adelie linux? I have seen it and it looks interesting. That distro and redcore because I have yet to try a gentoo based distro. All these flavors of linux are cool.

Yeah, seems to be the way to go using startx/xinitrc to get it working from startup. Guess I'll ditch the display manager.

literally nothing works but Gnome and Mate and sometimes Xfce and Openbox if you're ok with little inconsistencies

Think it's a regression in recent wine staging builds because it's broken on my Fedora as well, but it's clearly working for people on winehq with 6.5. Install a different build and try again.