/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Note: This general is hijacked often, fake troll threads link to anti-windows rantings or shill random software, report and ignore them.
Use the feedback form: 4channel.org/feedback

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions.
Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips & tricks that enhance your life with Windows.

Remember: Notice the friendly - please be civil when possible.

>Paste
rentry.org/fwt

>Installing Windows for retards:
rentry.org/windows_for_retards

FAQ:
>Where can I get the ISOs?
>How do I activate?
>Can I change editions after install?
>Where do I get Office?
read the paste: rentry.org/fwt
>Which version should I get?
Anything except Home/Pro.

>How do I debloat Windows 10 or 11?
Offline (pre-install): rentry.org/mdl-optimize-guide
Online (live install): privatezilla / thisiswin11 (and dont mindlessly tick everything)
Don't mix offline & online tools with each other.

>Is Optimize-Offline worth it?
No.

>Can I upgrade to LTSC 2021?
Only from previous LTSC builds w/o doing the upgrade matrix hack in rentry paste.

>LTSC or LTSC IoT?
Same thing just different licensing and support.
LTSC for corporate PCs/devices with 5 years support (KMS only).
LTSC IoT for consumer devices with 10 years support (HWID only).

>Do I even need LTSC?
All versions of W10 are essentially LTSC now getting mostly security updates as development of new features has shifted focus to W11.
W10 Home/Pro/Edu/Enterprise editions are all EoL in 2025 (2027 for LTSC) whereas IoT LTSC will be supported until 2032.

>I already run Windows 7, but don't want to clean install?
The non-LTSC installers can upgrade.

>Are homebrew ISOs safe (Gen2/Ameliorated)?
No, use only official Microsoft images.

/fwt/ spammer aka staxshill filter (4chanX): pastebin.com/F0Trfkfq (embed) (embed) (embed)

Previous thread:

Attached: Windows-11-Logo.png (2227x900, 30.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

windowsreport.com/windows-11-file-history-backup/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-ltsc-2021
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-iot-enterprise-ltsc-2021
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unless I'm in the wrong window, it doesn't look like I have that option. I went through device manager and selected properties on picrel, not sure if that's what I was supposed to do

Attached: ss.png (834x722, 53.81K)

I will post my autohotkey script that lets you change your system volume by scrolling your mouse wheel (no matter where you are) until someone notices me and says thanks user thats a cool script

!WheelUp::Run nircmd changeappvolume focused +0.07, C:\..\nircmd-x64
!WheelDown::Run nircmd changeappvolume focused -0.07, C:\..\nircmd-x64

#WheelUp::Run nircmd changesysvolume 4000, C:\..\nircmd-x64
#WheelDown::Run nircmd changesysvolume -4000, C:\..\nircmd-x64

windows + scroll = change system volume
alt + scroll = change focused application volume

it's wifi, it doesn't have those settings, didn't know you were on wireless. what are the value options for that dropdown there?

try checking if the manufacturer has a more recent driver. if this is an oem prebuilt like a dell or hp, get it from them, if it's something you built yourself, get it from realtek.

That's cool. But for me the volume keys on my keyboard are easier really. But it's a cool idea.

>get it from realtek.
or your motherboard manufacturer if it's onboard and not a physical nic

I went through the properties of the Gaming GBE Family Controller and it did actually have that option, so I set it to 1.0 GB but it didn't change anything
It's an HP Pavillion prebuilt, tried checking for driver update under device manager but it said I already had the best one installed, I'll try and look for one from HP directly

>I went through the properties of the Gaming GBE Family Controller and it did actually have that option, so I set it to 1.0 GB but it didn't change anything
if you're on wireless, you won't, since that's the network interface for your ethernet port

if this is your wireless having issues, and you are using the RTL8822CE, it sounds like that device is just dogshit on windows and the manufacturer never bothered to do anything about it. if this is a stationary laptop, it might be worth it to find a way to hook up to ethernet. if you need wireless, if you have any USB C ports, you could try shopping around for a good USB wireless adapter, though many of them are shit. if you're comfortable dissecting the laptop, you could also just replace the wifi module in it, but i wouldn't attempt it if you don't have experience working on laptop internals.

as someone that waited until 2020 to change to windows 10 i was stunned to find out about windows 11 since microsoft said that win10 would be the final windows that they would just upgrade from then on out

i will probably not change to win11 until after 10 has died for sure in 2026 or later depending on if they extend support

has any of you changed to windows 11?
and besides some GUI changes have you noticed any improvements?

Attached: win95.gif (640x480, 141.13K)

that's brilliant, why on earth doesn't microsoft have this by default?

>i will probably not change to win11 until after 10 has died for sure in 2026 or later depending on if they extend support
this is good practice these days. most "upgrades" microsoft makes are one step forward, two steps back. they introduce some good shit but fuck all sorts of other shit up and then gradually unfuck it over the lifespan of the product.

thanks

i am glad i waited for sure.

to be honest i may as well have still been on win7 if i didn't learn about the existence of LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) with removal of the app store and fewer windows updates etc.

There's also Windows 10 IoT LTSC 2021 with support until 2032.

>but fuck all sorts of other shit up
windowsreport.com/windows-11-file-history-backup/

ayo hol up. im on LTSC. didn't realize it was supported that long.

see:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-ltsc-2021

and

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-iot-enterprise-ltsc-2021

guess it's 2027 for me then. what the hell is internet of things windows? there's a million and one versions of windows.

IoT basically longer support.

You can easily switch to IoT from non-IoT LTSC. I switched to it because why not.

Attached: winver.png (460x423, 17.13K)

Download the HP support app and it updated some drivers for the RTL adatet but it didn't do anything, plugged in a TP-Link USB adapter I had and the download speeds went up to 17MB/s, pretty good but still not as good as it could be. I've got a couple amazon gift cards lying around so I guess I have something to spend it on now

>microsoft said that win10 would be the final windows
No they didn't, that was literally just some marketing guy on Twitter. They had Windows 10 EOL dates on their website since day 1.