Are developers naturally good at chess?

Are developers naturally good at chess?

Attached: 9cnfl1x3a7141.png (1919x1079, 2.14M)

most people nowadays haven't even played chess in their entire life

As an INTJ 5w6 ex-google employee, millionaire, divorced mastermind I can tell you that I don't know.

Nobody is naturally good at chess. At the very least you have to learn the rules first, nobody knows the rules of chess naturally. And then to actually be any good, you need to read and memorize a bunch of openings.

nah chess is a different skillset.

>you need to read and memorize a bunch of openings
Spoken like a true ngmi.

Literally everybody who's good at chess has done this. It's table stakes.

>unable to memorize a few hundred openings and their 50 most common variants up to the first 20 moves
ngmi

A few weeks ago I bought a chess board to play against a friend who used to do chess competitions in highschool, and I hadn't played since I was a kid. I beat him 13 times in a row just from practicing a bit the night before on chess.com and found that yes, the many years I have wasted programming helped a lot because chess is simply about making fewer mistakes than your opponent.

I'm still pretty bad at chess because I need to think for a few minutes for each move. That's the part that will be developed through practice. But given enough time I can easily get 80% accuracy on chess.com, which is definitely a lot better than most beginners. I'm not smart, I'm just applying methods that smart people came up with to solve problems.

nope

If you try hard and think hard you can get better than beginners with just your own brainpower. But literally everybody who plays at a very high level will spend some time memorizing openings, even if they don't actually use them.

What a load of shit. I'm decently good at chess and apart from memorizing openings and variations, chess is essentially about pattern recognition. You don't really get better at chess applying some "technique" or algorithm.

Even though I'm almost 2000 rated at Blitz in chess.com, I don't really like the game anymore.

>openings
Lol. Endgame is what separates the intrepid from the casual

Whatever, point is all the high level players have done a lot of memorization.

I think so. As a kid I was pretty good at chess, even won a kids championship.

I turned out as a good software developer, and I think the brain part we use to solve programming puzzles is the same we use to play chess.

Attached: kodeWithKossy.jpg (840x460, 54.15K)

You can't really memorize middle game, it's all about positional awareness there. Memorization only works for opening and endgame, and even there you have specific playstyles that counter purely memorized games

That doesn't contradict me in any way. I never said chess was pure memorization. Memorization is one component of being good at chess, the other is innate intelligence. Developers may have that innate intelligence necessary to be good at chess, but that alone is not sufficient. Therefore developers cannot be said be naturally skilled at chess.

I don't understand how you could suppose otherwise. Are pro soccer players good at running?

I agree with this.

Sounds like you are assuming that intelligence and memory arent strongly correlated. I believe that is incorrect from what i remember of the literature (lol (laughing out loud))