Fell for the AMD meme

>Buy a AMD 6800 XT because it's supposed to work well on Linux
>Think it's going to be a good upgrade from my 1080 GTX novideo card
>Plug my TV in
>Can't wait to use it at 4k@120Hz
>No HDMI 2.1 on Linux because AMD is retarded: gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1417
>Defaults to YUV with no way to set it to RGB without patching the kernel: gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/476
>It defaulted to RGB fine on my novideo card on linux like it should
>On windows HDMI 2.1 works and setting colorspace to RGB is easy.
>This is more than 1 year after this card came out and the linux driver is still missing basic features that are present in the windows one
>Decide to check the kernel code
>It's horrible
>Some of the worst C code I have ever seen
>How the fuck did it get accepted in the kernel?
>look at git log and see it was written by Mr. Pajeet
>disabling a monitor sometimes makes the monitor freeze completely.
Why does AMD suck so much on Linux in 2022? Nvidia has none of those issues.

Attached: 766267-radeon-rx-6800xt-gpus-1260x709.png (992x558, 457.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20130915125814/https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/did-nvidia-hire-online-actors-to-promote-their-products/
web.archive.org/web/20130915143001/https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/nvidias-perez-they-act-as-our-voice/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here's your opportunity to push some commits to the repo.

Unfortunate but understand most people aren't using 4k at 120hz, if even using 4k at all. AMD for me was a huge upgrade over nvidia on linux but I run basic shit (1440p @ 60hz).

what about AMD's proprietary drivers on linux?

I have to spend a bunch of hours trying to reverse their windows driver and their shitty linux code to add basic features that they are too retarded to add on their own?
That's truly the AMD experience.

They use the same kernel driver as the open source one. The HDMI connector code is in the kernel driver, not the userspace one.

>Linux
this is what no life does to a mf

Attached: EhK_8wpWAAAbcbP.jpg (497x497, 69.61K)

>The HDMI Forum does not currently allow an open source HDMI 2.1 implementation
There's your answer, retard.

There's no "implementation" needed. Almost everything is done by the hardware.
Literally the only thing the driver needs to do is set the right registers or call the right function in the AMD GPU bios to enable the FRL HDMI 2.1 transmit mode and then set the right link rate.
If using the algorithm used to pick the right link rate is what's not allowed they just have to make someone who didn't read the spec write their own.

you get what you fucking deserve

Attached: 1641610103648.jpg (129x129, 7.46K)

I doubt AMD wants to sour their relations with the HDMI Forum by "reverse-engineering" secret parts of the HDMI 2.1 specification. If it's as easy as you say make a patch and distribute it yourself. Since you use Linux you should already know free software works best with open standards.

It would be easy if I was more familiar with the hardware and their shitty kernel code.

>and their shitty kernel code
I don't know what part you looked at but I didn't think it was that bad (I modified it in the past to disable ZeroRPM on Polaris). Some parts definitely look like they were written for Windows. Mesa is high quality at least and shit code that works is better than no code (NVIDIA).

imagine believing a single thing you read on Any Forums

you are actually this dumb

proper YCbCr is no different than RBG stop being an autist. HDMI is native YUV in the first place, unless I'm remembering wrong.

Also Nvidia has a nasty common monitor mode glitch on Windows where it will default to 4:2:0 rgb and need some fucking about with custom res to fix it.

AMD gpus are ratshit on windows as well. I had to reinstall windows to get my rx580 to work and that shit would never happen with an Nvidia card. NEVER again!

I'm only talking about the kernel code, didn't look at the mesa one because it's not related to my issues. The amdgpu driver code is bad. I have talked with people that work on other drivers and they said it was bad too.

Your GPU renders in RGB so when your link is in YUV it needs to perform a lossy conversion to YUV which reduces your color accuracy.
HDMI is not native anything it's just a link to send video data through. You can send YUV, RGB, Dolby vision, etc..

>The amdgpu driver code is bad. I have talked with people that work on other drivers and they said it was bad too.
Sure thing Jensen. Your driver isn't that great either, especially not on Linux. Not that I would know what the code itself looks like since it's a giant illegal GPL-incompatible blob.

I have looked at the leaked nvidia driver source code and a glance it looks much better and much more well organized than the amdgpu one.

Reminder to anyone who thinks engaging with this thread is a good idea:
web.archive.org/web/20130915125814/https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/did-nvidia-hire-online-actors-to-promote-their-products/
web.archive.org/web/20130915143001/https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/nvidias-perez-they-act-as-our-voice/

yeah youre right i must be remembering stupid things about old hdmi and then-new TVs and receivers, default modes and stupid shit.

im getting old too much info starts to jumble around as we learn a million more things every year