If you use an authenticator app to secure your online accounts, it's a disaster waiting to happen...

If you use an authenticator app to secure your online accounts, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Just read the reviews for Google's Authenticator app. It's a terrifying tale of what can happen.

Whether it's Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, whichever. If the following happens to your phone you have your authenticator app installed YOU ARE FUCKED...

>LOSE PHONE
>PHONE STOLEN
>AUTHENTICATOR APP GETS CORRUPTED
>AUTHENTICATOR APP GETS UNINSTALLED
>PHONE GETS CORRUPTED
>PHONE DAMAGED
>WIPE PHONE WITHOUT FIRST DEACTIVATING AUTHENTICATION ON YOUR ACCOUNTS

Smartphones are simply not a viable, reliable, nor secure method of using as an account authentication device. Far too much can wrong, and if you lose the ability to authenticate your logon, you will have to pray to almighty GOD that the online service you secured with an authenticator app has the ability to verify your identity. OTHERWISE, KISS YOUR MONEY, ASSET, EMAIL, OR WHATEVER YOU'RE SECURING GOOD-FUCKING-BYE-FOREVER.

In my humble opinion, the best way to secure your online account, other than SMS/Email 2FA verification, is to use multiple hardware security keys. Unfortunately not all companies provide support for hardware security keys, but if they do, that's the method I'd recommend for strong protection.

inb4 buhtt muh google authenticator is backed up.

You dumb fuck, you just defeated the very purpose of its security. Smartphones simply should not be relied upon as some device that's invulnerable to failure for authentication purposes.

Attached: auth.png (800x594, 31.19K)

Every site that allows 2fa with an authenticator gives you backup codes.
Sage and hide

Yeah no Ivan Google Auth is just works. You are retarded boomercore damage brained so you can enjoy getting password hacked

Just use multiple authenticators. I have a couple physical YubiKeys and an app. Something happens to the device, at least I have my physical keys. Something happens to the physical keys, at least I have my device. Also, backup keys and recovery phrases exist for pretty much (if not) every major provider.

imagine not tattooing every one of your 2FA QR codes on your arm

Do you people seriously not back up your authenticator profiles?

Well look at the bright side, at least no one else will gain unauthorized access to your accounts either.

>backed my 2fa profiles because I knew losing my phone would be bad

damn feels good to have a development frontal lobe

Attached: 1539311459995.jpg (500x551, 62.72K)

Ngl, losing access to all my accounts would set me free to start a new digital life. Something I've always wanted to do but never had the balls to do since I'm too attached to my google account ecosystem

>use multiple hardware security keys
if the following happens to your hardware keys YOU ARE FUCKED...
>LOSE HARDWARE KEY
>HARDWARE KEY STOLEN
>HARDWARE KEY GETS CORRUPTED
>HARDWARE KEY DAMAGED

we must use captchas, 2fa, password complexity, etc. to hold the hands of boomers and other retards who would otherwise email their passwords (that are found in rockyou) to anyone who asks

also ban encryption

>makes a local backup
>oh wow nevermind!

Imagine not backing up your Authenticator app secrets

imagine being so scared you install scareware to "log in"

>phone
>phone
>phone
That's your own fault retard. I wrote a CLI program for TOTP, I can easily backup the secret and use it on as many devices as I want.

i thought about it and the only auth app i have on my phone was steam. and they gave you recovery code which i wrote on paper. i remember losing access to steam when i changed phone number, but recovery code i wrote let me change phone

>Authenticator app on phone.
>backup codes stored on kwallet on desktop.
>~ bacukp to nas.
>nas encrypted bacukp to remote server.
ez

Keep your authenticators on device other than your phone or pc. You can buy a cheap new android phone at Walmart, you don't need phone service, and then update it and install authenticators on it. Keep it offline when not in use, it's still functional offline, but you might need to get on wifi with it when your battery dies to synchronize the codes again. Hide it where you think nobody will look.

I'm homeless and I use hardware keys. I got my backups in my safety deposit box in case I end up naked after doing too much math for 6 days straight(again). Also never lost a phone. That's what the bear spray is for.

Bitwarden Premium does not have this problem

I only ever use opensource authentication using opensource TOTP programs.
TOTP really is just a one time thing too you do not need a constantly updating app.
As for much security. Meh if you do not need it do not use it. A password manager on its own is fine too.

Solve any conjectures, professor?