I might give freeBSD as a desktop os a try, what am I in for?

I might give freeBSD as a desktop os a try, what am I in for?

Attached: 1647910993701.png (325x262, 30.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2oLuJSFZKEs
madaidans-insecurities.github.io/openbsd.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imagine Linux, but with even less compatibility.

Linux with much fewer apps.

youtube.com/watch?v=2oLuJSFZKEs

Thanks I watched this. I'm going to try it when I get home from work. Something new and different and if I don't like it, I'll always go back to Linux.

I don’t know I’ve been using openBSD for like five years now. u’ll Probably enjoy it

bsd today is what linux was 15 years ago

Is open better than free? What's the best edition?

I have followed the the OpenBSD project for some years and listen to the developers speak etc. etc. I’m not as familiar with FreeBSD. Maybe do some reading on the two projects. They both have an interesting history. Depending on what you expect or what you were interested in doing with your computer, you may choose one over the other.

Attached: AA0F1679-9B54-4B2F-9C31-BCD718A79449.jpg (324x286, 20.57K)

It's the mainframe. you will rent access to it
you will not store files on your computer
you wont delete any files
you will watch and use what is available
and you will be happy

Attached: mainframewopr.jpg (600x338, 19.74K)

Open:
>0 security, but you can pretend otherwise by screaming about how much if you believe it, it must be real
>shit hardware support
>slow as balls because muh security (cope, actually has no security: it's because of incompetence)
>cope, seethe and dial 8 everytime someone posts madaidans-insecurities.github.io/openbsd.html or other compendiums of proofs openplacebo security is nonexistent
Free:
>barely any security, better than open at least
>good hardware support
>far more software support
>very fast
Net:
>better security than both, still worse than linux
>Best hardware support
>excellent kernel features
>software support between open and free
>kinda buggy drivers
>very fast

Oh yeah, forgot:
Open:
>Ridiculous attitude among users and devs, even so much as hinting that you're having an issue gets you ostracized permanently
Free:
>Literal trannyfest, CoC bullshit and almost died due to it

Friendly reminder not to listen to people who don’t want you to enjoy computing and trying new things.

>Trannyfest
They infect everything. I wish we could just go back to ignoring them.

Ignoring them is how we got into this mess, unfortunately. If only we could go back to true anonymity + meritocracy, but that ship has long sailed.

Yeah it's why I use xububtu. It's really comfy. I just enjoy installing different operating systems. Seeing what I can do. I've installed Gentoo and hackintosh before but I prefer ready made distros when I need to get work done. I completed my yard work and this is my gift to myself, giving myself the time to play with a completely new and different os I've never used before.

Try genode. Also haiku.

I used to distro hop a lot and suffered a lot of autism from reading Any Forums too much. Eventually landed on OpenBSD and haven’t gone back. It’s hard for me to give up such a clean operating system at this point. I do use Linux but only for work (data center)

Attached: AE9F5B78-2549-423E-A9C6-544D6A6EC075.jpg (1024x844, 592.8K)

I use Linux because of work. It's nice to have the same experience and same commands.
Definitely will do.

I wanted to devote an entire post to your comment. Posting from work on my phone. I don't distro hop hoping to find better. I do it to try new things. I use Linux at home because we use rhel here. I had gotten my yard work done, got the skirting on my trailer, and when I get home I'm trying something new for the fun of it. I'll give openBSD a go. I don't understand what you mean by "clean"? Implying that Linux is dirty? In what way? I'd like to know.

So this is nothing like Linux was. It's asking for user groups and class? I have no clue what it wants. Googling seems to be useless.