/jrg/ - Job Rant General

What's going on with your career, Any Forums?

Attached: ToastToYouBitches.png (700x443, 211.37K)

Just need to get through this week.

Attached: 1625067782969.png (948x957, 1.24M)

Job just switched from Tier 2 handing out Tier 1 tickets. I was coasting like all you motherfuckers, chilling out and doing bare minimum.

Now the fags on my team want a 'workflow' even though we used to self-assign ourselves our own tickets.

Thank God I'm leaving support in a year after paternity leave + bootcamp ends to get into Web Dev.

Support blows, hope you make it user.

Coding my brains out as a new grad within a cybersecurity startup. Its been fun, but tiring.

Was doing an apprenticeship and was doomed to do sysadmin stuff instead of what the job was supposed to be.
Thought: ok, let's learn the insides then, was delegated to do anything but sysadmin work.
I did learn coding on the side, but was crushed by school that was accompanied and mandatory, stretching the timespan I am finishing it further and further.

Then they told me to vax up or they will fire me.
I quit, they backed up on their threat since they already are investing in me, didn't budge myself since they were assholes.

Now doing food delivery, the odd programming commission and continue my Bootcamp thing.

Probably gonna end up as pic related since this country doesn't accept any applicants without a degree, even if you can do lots of projects on your own in time.

Take care of your mental health and set some boundaries. Doesn’t mean you have to shut the laptop at 5 exactly, but to maximize your rest time so you can be more productive when you are working

I got promoted but I'm still earning elss than I would be if I jumped ship. So not sure what to do. Its pretty comfy where I'm at.

>What's going on with your career, Any Forums?
was writing applications for 6 hours today because my current company is hell. fuck them.

get me the fuck out of here
is cybersec a meme?

There’s three third-world contractors on my team and im more productive than all of them combined. They also leave shit ton of tech debt. Why won’t companies ever learn?

Attached: 5A71CAB6-0F9E-47CF-AB86-3EF5C8EF99B5.jpg (1000x1414, 87.75K)

Because you keep fixing their shit

depends on your goals. I switched a few years ago from a high stress great paid job to a low stress well paid job. For me it was absolutely worth it. I work a lot less, still earn enough money to save about 70% of it and picked up new hobbies because I had such much time all of the sudden

What are you guys doing?
I am from Germany, but I am sure I won't find any chance here unless I waste 3-7 years for a degree or certificate that's accepted here.

Maybe I should try doing what they do, since I really try to make good code.

>be devops engineer 5 YOE, its all i have done since graduating
>applying trying to get paybump for about 2 weeks now
>process has been absolute hell
>it seems most companies just want a SWE to do cloud stuff
>interviews are 70%+ SWE questions
>even had one interview with a very high end company , where afterwards I realized they didn't even ask one question about devops.
>from what I can gather most companies have pulled random SWE internally to make a devops team
>got into an argument with one interviewer yesterday about deployment process
>he couldn't understand why I would design a deployment pipeline like I did
>"but user why not just merge lower branch into upper instead of merging feature branches independently to each separate environment"
>because you run the risk of picking up unwanted changes that never made it through lower environments, and our goal is to have fully automated deployments, so on and so forth
>"but our weekly cadence and manual release is fine"
>but if you could have a fully automated pipeline where changes can hit prod as soon as automated testing is done wouldn't you want that
>"but we can't go that fast"
>?????????????
That was for a position paying over 200k

Got a job as a PM/Scrummaster at an online marketing/dev shop and it fucking sucks. FUCK I hate it

Java crud app
These remote contractor guys coast around and take an entire month to change a database schema. I’m pretty sure if i fuck off the entire backend project will crumble in two weeks

Attached: BE43A65E-1957-4C6C-B8C4-E84730E5F870.jpg (938x1067, 266.5K)

>hired to do computer graphics
>got to do specific computer graphics for 8 months
>pulled off it and asked to do every random fucking thing in the company (tech support, dev ops, debugging backend, web development, container orchestration)
>never get to do niche thing I was hired for because "we have too many graphics devs now and you're a good generalist so we need you to do the random shit"

I've been applying to other places that hire for gfx but its a hard field to get into and my skills have been stagnating because they won't let me solve actual gfx problems. Trying to find remote positions too because my heart can't take it again if I pack up all my shit again to do graphics and get bait and switched again.

Sounds interesting.
I only have some experience in MongoDB using Python and JS/TS.

Would your company take somebody that's willing to employ somebody in a training position with low wage?
All I need is a bookshelf with the corresponding information I need and somebody willing to answer stupid questions once every day or every week

don't have a carrier yet but its gonna suck isn't it?

Why not do webdev shit then on the side?
It would help you to have something on the side while you look for gfx work.

Call out the Pajeets to your manager, and leave them hanging in their own shit.

Depends on where you live, you will do lots of projects for a portfolio or have to participate in a system that delays your progress with inane bs or they will try to fuck you over.

It's every job and every employer is looking for a golden slave.
You gotta be willing to have skin in the game.

I fucking hate web dev. It's one of the reasons I want to quit right now (I keep getting asked to do random frontend shit and the entire Node ecosystem is just retarded for no good reason).

It's tempting to quit and just live on savings and pad my resume with graphics side projects but I know it's a bad idea. I'm just coasting at work for now and spamming job applications.

Getting bait and switched on your job title is truly awful I hope none of you anons have to experience that.

starting new analytics job in april,
it is 100% R and Rshiny

A few weeks into my first SWE job. I am the most junior SWE and don't get much done. Right now I have no tickets to do and I'm sitting around doing nothing, but my coworkers still expect me to do work. We have a daily standup meeting where I am flustered bc idk what the fuck i'm gonna work on and a daily recap meeting where I'm flustered because i didnt do shit.

I'm doing SRE work.

Currentling using terraform to tag a bunch of AWS process so that cost can be reported. I am bored out of my mind with it.

We're spending about 600k a month on AWS, it's insane.

Hopefully next month I can do something a bit more interesting with autoscaling k8s deployments or something like that. Seems like that would be interesting to learn.

Attached: DependableOddballAldabratortoise-size_restricted.gif (480x368, 1.26M)