What's so good about this? why everyone still use it to this day and even VSCode has an emulator?

What's so good about this? why everyone still use it to this day and even VSCode has an emulator?

Attached: file.png (474x235, 70.76K)

Because real life programmers arn't microsoft shills.

It starts pretty quick, and it does its job.

it's just comfy, you know?

Attached: 6b923f77fbe81e906c622115932f296e--leslie-easterbrook-police-academy.jpg (736x482, 38.61K)

T-That's it? surely there must be more to it right?

you need more?

I got filtered by it but it seems like it's useful to skilled programmers and/or old people used to it, I imagine the keyboard shortcuts and lack of distractions come in handy

It doesn't require an entire Electron infrastructure to load

IDE -> Vscode with Vim emulation
Maintaining a custom vimrc to make it viable as an IDE has its diminishing returns and thats why i switched

Vim is not an IDE though, so not sure what your argument is. For text editing, vim is the king

I started using it because at my university we did our programming and compiling over SSH. I hate emulators because they're subtly different from actual vim in random ways, so there's no reason for me to use them really. I still recommend novices learn vim keybindings on an emulator though.

if you wanna hear my blog post about it, I used to use jEdit a lot back in the day because it was nice to have split views with buffers on the same file. Then, one day, I discovered vim and couldn't figure out how to exit. Also it has splits and buffers and so much more to be discovered. Modal text editing quickly starts to make a lot of sense too. Five lines down, three lines away, five words to the left, to the left, to the left, append at end of the line, delete 3 word to the right, to the right to the right, everything inside the parens, yeah, replace that bullshit. and so on. as said. it's comfy.

Attached: OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg (770x1000, 217.34K)

you don't need to use the mouse

you still can, and it is handy too every now and then, especially in visual mode. you can also bind the fucking arrows, if you're too dumb to hjkl and feel right at home again.

it just werks

It has a lot of nice features without being (too) bloated.

>it just werks
you do certainly need some time to set up a comfy vimrc, and some plugins (ultisnips and what not).
>without being (too) bloated.
it is fairly bloated, but it doesn't tend to get in the way, since it's all hidden from you if you don't know about it.

>debugging some babe's cs assignment
>use vim inside vscode
>ah incorrectly named variable
>: 43
>CTRL Y
>f
>dw
>woah user you're like an actual programmer

Attached: D2CCBDBF-F7DC-41F6-AAD0-8BB3BFFB9E6D.jpg (519x878, 65.58K)

can Vim be used as a main development tool (I work with a bunch of languages and web dev)? I don't like proprietary software and the only other choice is VSCodium, Emacs and Kate

Try using it for a few weeks and going back to the regular VSCode keybinds. You'll be sick with how slow you are.

If someone disabled Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V and required you to use the mouse to hit Edit->Copy or Edit->Paste every time, would you be annoyed?

Using a normal editor after Vim feels exactly like that.

vim/emacs were relevant in the 80s because they were an external way to make up for autistic spacing requirements in the languages of the time. Imagine python but 100x worse and a compiler that couldn't tell you it was just a space or tab somewhere. This is where a good editor would save you. Vim/Emacs died in the mid 90s because OOP is superior in every way, also of which it does not have autistic spacing. These were totally forgotten and dead in the water up until about 2005 when the hipster movement took off which dictates you have to do everything the "le ironic contrarian xD" way and take a massive amount of time to do something basic and/or dump weeks into setting up your .autismrc. Nothing important in the last 30 years has been done in vim/emacs, it has been done in the IDE that ships with a popular lang with no features except what you'd find in notepad, ie find and replace, so pretty much nothing. Using Vim/Emacs after 1995 is a 110% chance you are a hipster faggot NPC on welfare and will kill yourself before 35

not really

lol this guy has never had a job in his life

It takes a while to get used to. I didn't start using it religiously until I was forced to learn it because the standard at my company is to ssh into a server and do development there (only way to go when you have lots of code).
It's like a chef's knife. It takes practice, but when you're good it can do nearly everything efficiently. IDEs and other text editors are like a drawer of single-use tools. The barrier to entry is low, but switching between them is clumsy and you won't develop the core text editing skills to fall back on when confronted with something you don't have a slap-chop for.
Also, like a chef, I now feel slow, unprofessional, and inefficient when using anything else.

Post your .vimrc