Will working in VR/ AR ever become more accessible than the normal screen

Attached: 1648013665561.jpg (1024x1024, 256.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QrQhxol7rPw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is pretty close to how I imagine a virtual environment.
Can't wait to get rid of physical screens.
Only problem is (a) no eye tracking, and (b) no BSPWM or something similar for the WM.

My main problem is that I can't drink pepsi max whilst working on VR

use straw

But I can't find it with my mouth whilst using VR.

>replace a monitor with two monitors close to your eyes
just join the 41%

how I will type?
I cant touch type I must look at my keyboard

Tilt your head back and look down the nose gap

youtube.com/watch?v=QrQhxol7rPw

Obviously you'd need a real keyboard. What would the input devices be like? Mouse and a controller?
Using the original rift it's pretty hard to use desktop mode and do things you'd normally do in desktop

One day soon, your room will be rendered in real time in VR based on facebooks Project Cambria and their real time render project so I can drink my pepsi without worrying.

Imagine wanting to live in a distopic future where your boss will be able to see all you do.

^this person uses VR

No, having a screen an inch away from my face for extended periods of time is exhausting

The distance doesn't matter because lenses makes it appear further.
What is exhausting is the weight of the device.

No. It may sound cool to have all of these virtual monitors in vr but they are useless in practice. Having two monitors and workspaces in a tiling wm is always superior.
Not to mention that text quality inside vr for small text will look worse than a regular monitor even at 16k resolution.

Im saying this as somebody who made his own vr wm on linux.

Yeah the weight + humidity inside it, with your eyes in an enclosed space. It becomes more of a pain than not using a headset.

Since valve index has two cameras, you can actually see your real room with your vr headset on, and you can then put virtual monitors inside your room (in their 3d position). Im surprised nobody has made this yet.

Maybe, but it'll be years before that happens, the headset is too bulky and you need more than 8k per eye or something to minimize aliasing and the screen door effect. Not to mention the abysmal battery life on portable VR headsets

cringe cybershit hackur larp

Yes, the cost will end up considerably lower than numerous high quality monitors, and the flexibility will make all of the rest of the difference.

Let's see what Project Cambria provides as that might already be good enough, but on a 10-year timeframe there will be viable office-oriented AR solutions where you'll probably have a single physical monitor and the rest will be virtualised on demand as virtual monitors or single application windows.

I think we will also get inherently trackable surfaces (e.g., you can improve AR enormously just by printing out some unique geometric patterns, black-on-white, and sticking them to fixed positions) which will be built into office desks, dividers, etc. Perhaps even just monitor frames that the AR device can easily identify and fill.

It's the same with the Quest 2, you can see outside with certain applications but only in black and white, you have to see some basic AR with the guardian system where you draw the boundary you use inside of

I've never had an issue with humidity. I still use the original rift. What type of headset do you have?
The heaviness hasn't ever really bothered me. Biggest problem I have is where it touches your face around your eyes. Leaves an imprint.
And I can never satisfy a nose itch.
Can't wait to upgrade some day at try out higher resolution.

>the abysmal battery life on portable VR headsets
I would be perfectly happy to wear a backpack connected to it

For gaming I agree, but just to do office work?