Name a technological fact that shocked or surprised you

Name a technological fact that shocked or surprised you.

Attached: :o.jpg (1114x1080, 179.1K)

No

Attached: 1647953850159.jpg (602x823, 75.64K)

processors are alien technology

every post on internet is generated by a bot

You can use the internet from EFI BIOS

this, dead internet theory is real

cgi looks terrible in anime because japanese people are bad at technology.

you can set your user's UID to 0 in /etc/passwd and it will be treated as the root account.

>NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Technology actually gets worse as time goes on.

no, they're just shitty third worlders and children posting the abhorrent comments

You are telling me it takes 6000 years to invent light bulbs and 60 years to play vrchat? What conspiracy nonsense

based vrchat enjoyer

Attached: jsjsgsywnpdbnakqoxc.jpg (1080x1920, 119.59K)

if post(not_hivemind) {
write('Fuck off newfag')}

The sequentially consistent model is a lie. When we write code we like to imagine that programs are executed in order but they're executed out of order by both the compiler, CPU and cache and they do it all the time for optimization as long as the effects of this reordering aren't perceptible to the thread.
It's easy to maintain this illusion in a single-threaded system and won't cause you any problem until you have a multithreaded program with memory regions that are shared between two or more threads. Now they can not only see half reads and half writes, but also writes out of order that could invalidate any synchronization mechanism between these threads.
For this reason there are atomics, these objects not only guarantee that data is committed atomically (other threads can't see half reads or half writes) but also that they're executed in the right order, and therefore the language must make sure the compiler, CPU and cache will keep the right order.

:o

At the speed of light, a signal will travel about 3.75 cm and back for each cycle in a 4 GHz CPU. This is the reason why CPUs don't go much higher than that; we're reaching the fundamental physical clock limits for the sizes our dies are made in.

pretty much all of them

every time i learn aomething new about computer it amazes me at how complex and dense this network of machines has become such that no one person could ever hope to fully understand even a fraction of it. so every time i peel back another layer it blows my fucking mind. i mean its all obvious in hindsight, but if you dont even know what drivers are how could you possibly even imagine how hardware devices are programmed, on a physical level?

so when i learn that LEDs can be made to flicker at certain frequencies to induce headaches by altering the machines running the electrical grid, or that someone could send an email from your exact address without needing your account details, or that you can find the location of a mobile phone down to the centimetre even with its radio broadcasting switched off, it blows my fucking mind because it uncovers a whole new layer that i never even considered before. once you start looking down the rabbithole of technology, once you go beneath the GUI and buttons, you find so much shit that it both amazes you that it works at all, and scares you that it could be used to do so much more.

so yeah, everything i learn about technology shocks me because it shows me something i never even imagined was possible, and sends my imagination and curiousity running so wild that i just have to keep digging.

once i have enough money to do so im buying enough supplies to last me a year off grid, and im going to set up a farm in the middle of nowhere over that year so i can become self sufficient and live my days in relatice peace knowing that the most I'll ever be exposed to is some boomers HAM radio bouncing off the moon.

Attached: 1645435573021 unknown.png (500x500, 732.18K)

You don't need superuser permissions to run a keylogger on modern Linux distros

and just so i dont sound full schizo
> LEDs can be made to flicker at certain frequencies to induce headaches by altering the machines running the electrical grid
this is a bit of a stretch, but still possible if they dont mind fucking with your whole street. and most likely theres enough between your LEDs and the cities electrical grid that you could easily stop or prevent this

>send an email from your exact address without needing your account details
not an easy attack to pull off but definitely possible with enough knowledge. things like gpg keys can prevent this, and in fact exist almost solely to prevent MITM spoofing

>find the location of a mobile phone down to the centimetre even with its radio broadcasting switched off
in a crowded city with other phones nearby. out in the wilderness, so long as the sim is in range of a transmitter, it can be pinged for a rough area, and if its within two you can get a small enough area to search that its almost impossible to hide.

so these are extreme examples but that was the point of me bringing them up. its the extreme stuff that shocks me the most, but evevn when i first learned what firmware meant it felt like i had discovered a whole new eorld, that computers where more than just the operating system they came with.

How low the yields are from various manufacturing processes.

But there is circuitry all over the place, some components are closer together than others, It's not like the information has to travel from one end of the CPU die to the other all the time. So I don't think that is the main reason for said 4 GHz (also current CPUs already boost up to 5 GHz).

>or that someone could send an email from your exact address without needing your account details
You would fail DKIM and SPF, so only kind of.
I recently tried to send an email to google that did not match my domain and it just got straight up dropped.

Look up Symbolics Lisp machines' screen resolutions and when they got HDTV support.

There's a simple solution to that "problem".

Attached: 10ghz.jpg (249x203, 6.95K)

electromotive force and electromagnetic waves are two seperate (but closely related) phenomena

but that's wrong retard. you can get 5GHz boosts (and even stable overclocks if you're extremely lucky) on modern GPUs, and LN2 overclocks have seen boosts up to almost 7GHz

you can just keep generating GUIDS and not worry about wasting them

Attached: 81e9d55b5aea576e182865f1eb28b466.jpg (791x1081, 126.94K)