Am i being paranoid?

Am i being paranoid?
What the hell is this shit
My music player is asking for access to all files, i don't think i've ever even seen this permission before

Attached: Screenshot_20220324-061246_GoneMAD.png (1080x2400, 445.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

source.android.com/devices/storage/scoped
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

use poweramp

And even weirder is that their explanation makes no mention of the fact that they're asking for access to all files
It says "manage external storage permission"

Attached: Screenshot_20220324-061944_Firefox.png (1080x2400, 342.25K)

Here's the permission they're requesting

Attached: Screenshot_20220324-062057_Settings.png (1080x2400, 64.11K)

The explanation is clear, so you either trust the devs or don't

That's the other sketch part. After this weird move from gonemad i reinstalled poweramp and they didn't ask for all files, just my one music folder and it seems to work fine
But what i hate about poweramp is their genre view makes me scroll through every fucking album
Makes it take like 3 scrolls to see 10 artists
Gonemad let me just scroll thru the artists in the genre instead of every album
Gonna try blackedplayer next

Attached: Screenshot_20220324-062759_Poweramp.png (1080x2400, 419.14K)

Don't, fuck them

You should probably just uninstall. While I don't listen to music myself whenever I need to play audio (or video) I just use VLC, always go with a reputable entity.

just use spotify lol

How is it clear
Their explanation literally says "manage external storage permission"
The permission they actually ask for is "manage all files"
Nowhere in their explanation do they say why they need the manage all files permission instead of manage external storage

I mostly use spotify
I just liked the music player for the genre view or if im off wifi

Problem is i hate all other music players ui

god i fucking hate app/browser permissions. if you don't trust the software 100% then don't fucking install it you dumb nigger.

It's the same thing, fucking retard.
They are referring to Scooped Storage introduced in Android 11
source.android.com/devices/storage/scoped

The explanation is pretty clear. It won't make a difference if you already had the app installed before upgrading.
Are you trolling? You can't be this stupid.

Gonemad probably needs this permission to access music that's not in the music folder. Otherwise (starting Android 11) it's confined to its own app folder and the android content providers (specific folders like Music, Alarms, Audiobooks, etc.)

It's the same permission. It's called MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in the app's manifest and it grants access to all files.
"External storage" refers to storage that's not "app-specific storage" or "shared storage (media, documents)" and does not refer to external SD cards.

that's not how it works, dumbass ape
you can't blindly trust software developers 100% are you joking?
why would you grant your entire home directory read/write permission to some random pajeet project?
you don't
that's why these permissions are necessary and the reason why desktop systems like linux or windows are a joke regarding security

> people cry about android's lack of proper security practices for years
> google actually make some meaningful changes, shocking some people in the process
> NOOOO! YOU CAN'T JUST STOP SOFTWARE FROM SCANNING FOR ANY FILE IT LIKES!1
> WHAT DO YOU MEAN I GAVE TO GIVE IT EXPLICIT PERMISSION TO DO THINGS?!?!?
> people still cry
embarrassing.

If you don't trust a software to do what it claims to do and not fuck with your system then don't install it. Doesn't matter if it's a phone the same principle applies everywhere.

I should mention i didnt just install this app, i've been using it 8 years and it asked me for this permission after an updoot

How does it not make a difference if i already had the app installed
Prior to this, all they asked for was access to whatever folders i specified, like poweramp does now
How would they have had access to all files?

I dont follow
So i just installed poweramp and it asked me to point to where my music is, and then asked for access to that folder only
Are you saying starting android 11 apps cant do that anymore?
Instead they need access to all files? Why is that good?
Also why android 11, i thought we were on 12 or some shit

Attached: 1547132671573.png (938x902, 178.32K)

>the absolute state of Any Forums

Attached: aaa.png (519x289, 128.04K)

Did Google realize SAF is a slow piece of shit and changed things around again?

Boomp

>So i just installed poweramp and it asked me to point to where my music is, and then asked for access to that folder only
This functionality was added in Android 11. Previously apps would request access to files and you'd click 'Allow'. You couldn't confine them to specific folders.
>Are you saying starting android 11 apps cant do that anymore?
They can. It's just that gonemad decided not to.

The file picker restricts which folders you can choose, such as the storage root folder. My guess is gonemad wants access to all files for convenience.