Asahi Linux

Is it unironically a good idea to buy an M1 Mac just to run GNU/Linux on it? Having great performance and no ME or PSP seem like big pro's. thoughts?

Attached: iFagM1.png (1080x1775, 351.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AsuharietYgvar/AppleNeuralHash2ONNX/issues/1
apple.com/legal/transparency/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lmao. No you stupid fag. They're still missing a ton of drivers. Most notably a GPU and power management driver.

Attached: 1648095581314.jpg (500x553, 92.82K)

>no ME or PSP
i guarantee that apple chips have their own glowie backdoor as well

Yeah it's called the "Secure Enclave". It's literally a secondary processor that runs SEP OS.

Attached: 1648095938221.jpg (678x678, 63.45K)

I've had fun reading into it but no one I know will bite the bullet and play around with it on their M1 Macbooks.

Their methodology is exactly like Nouveau and I have no doubt it'll come out as something decently useable. However, like Nouveau, no offshoot will ever beat the proprietary original.

Attached: 1648089171027.png (244x233, 68.47K)

If you don't already have M1 hardware, I'd say don't cave and drop a ton of money on it just to run linoox. I have an M1 Air and ALARM runs fine but no sound, no keyboard backlight, no brightness control, still a few bugs with KDE. YMMV. In a month or two when it's ironed out, this may be better than a Thinkpad to run Arch on because the battery life will be miles better. A lot of the config shipped with the system works great though, and I was able to get it installed with no trouble. Imagine having painless wireless configuration.

Asahi is the best distro. Bobby Bee is a genius.

> What is TrustZone
You are a retard desu. Just get a x230.

Honestly I dont get why you tards are so adamant about linux when it comes to a macbook specifically. MacOS is more than good enough for day to day use. Yes, its not nearly as customizable, and privacy respecting as linux but at least its not fucking windows, getting a macbook air m1 for daily tasks, to go along with a linux computer is good enough. It has all the linuxy things that windows lacks. Terminal integration? yep. no bloatware? yep. no fucking ads? yep. usable preinstalled software for daily productivity? yep. being able to choose when and where updates are conducted? yep. it also has some features that linux is not nearly as good with like easily installing proprietary software that doesnt exist in repositories. The m1 macbook air is the best laptop out there. period. but its not the best linux laptop out there. I'd recommend getting it and running macOS on it since it basically feels the same as running gnome on fedora but better and with less bugs. Then once asahi catches up maybe consider switching. If you absolutely need linux get a zephyrus g14 or g15 with all amd hardware (both cpu and gpu) and you'll have pretty great battery life, superior performance and great linux compatibility. it'll be louder, heavier and less sleak than a macbook air, but it'll be a better linux experience

>However, like Nouveau, no offshoot will ever beat the proprietary original
Nouveau can't possibly beat the original because NVIDIA locks down their chips to prevent FOSS drivers from existing. Apple doesn't. They don't provide any documentation but there's no signed firmware bullshit like on NVIDIA.

The difference is that the SEP can't access main memory directly like ME can. It's behind an IOMMU. The M1 absolutely glows less than x86 hardware but no one wants to hear it because of anti-macfag bias.

>SEP can't access main memory directly like ME can. It's behind an IOMMU
Do you expect Any Forums to know what any of these words mean? They only know it was made by Apple, so it's "pozzed" and "sends all ur data to cupertino".

There's no possible way you know that, unless they are using a standard ARM chipset. Which they aren't, it's a custom fab. SE was literally invented by glowniggers you faggboi

It's not free you insufferable faggot

privacywise, it's worse than windows, where have you been? The thing will SWAT you if download an image of a dog,
github.com/AsuharietYgvar/AppleNeuralHash2ONNX/issues/1
There is zero chance I'll ever buy another Apple product again. It doesn't matter how good they are. No way. Even Microsoft Windows is better for privacy than Apple now.

>However, no modern device is “fully open” - no usable computer exists today with completely open software and hardware (as much as some companies want to market themselves as such).
This is false. I have personally built a fully operational Rock64 based linux desktop from source, starting with Arm Trusted Firmware with all blobs removed. It isn't fast, but with a lightweight window manager like lxqt it is usable. I can even run Eclipse on it.

it takes over 20 hours to compile the linux kernel on it btw

I proposed a linux laptop option if you read through my entire post faggot, its not free, but neither is any computer from the last decade given all the binary blobs

apple.com/legal/transparency/
apple will just give your info away, dont trust it.

I will buy one if/when Asahi's GPU support gets good enough to run a basic composited desktop and there's no other glaring missing features like the MBP speakers or bluetooth. Before then, it's not even worth considering. I like to be optimistic. Asahi is promising, but it's a terrible idea to buy in now. There's too many unknowns and it might not ever get good enough for daily use.

Trustzone is not mandatory and not implemented in M1 you huge retard.

It only works on iCloud Photos and if you're some kind of person who uploads their photos to cloud you don't care about privacy anyway.