What is a good router for running OpenWRT...

What is a good router for running OpenWRT? I bought a TP-Link AX3000 a few days ago but it is very much pozzed and I'm gonna return it.

I want something with good compatibility and stability. There are too many options. What would be a good option for this? I only have a 500Mb/s connection, but long range is a must. Thanks Any Forumsuys

Attached: openwrt.png (2000x595, 79.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gl-inet.com/products/gl-ax1800/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Check for NanoPi R4S on AliExpress.

Attached: NPR4S.jpg (800x800, 92.71K)

Whats the benefit to something like this over something like the Linksys E8450? (Which is what i'm thinking about going with)

Everything, consumer routers are garbage, the NanoPi its only $100 and its way more powerful than any consumer crap out there, the best thing for me its the fact that you cant brick that device, the OS goes into a sd card, you can mess and learn without being worried, just backup the system on anything and you're good to go.

Attached: NanoPi.jpg (800x800, 119.8K)

Hows the range on it? My house is kinda big and has pretty awful signal penetration through walls

I'm using OpenWRT on a YouHua WR1200JS chinkbox that is already discontinued but still supported by OpenWRT and everything including VLANs just werk for my needs.
That being said if I were to buy something now I'd go for the Totolink x5000r because it has 802.11ax and according to the OpenWrt website it's supported even though I have no idea how it performs in practice.

I honestly don't care about AX, since AC is more than up to my 500Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up connection.

Fuck OpenWRT, that's lazy shit. Get an SBC, install a barebones OS on it, install some networking packages and configure them. Learn how to make a router from the ground up, software and all. It's fun and educational.

>you cant brick that device
Oh, I'm sure it's possible. Try yanking out the power supply in the middle of a firmware upgrade.

It's still useful for LAN shenanigans like transferring data from/to a NAS.

True. So would the Linksys E8450 be a good fit? I'm not getting something that's not an all in one. I don't want a Pi, and AP's and other shit. I'll run pfSense on an old system in the future, but I only need this setup for 2-3 years.

>3 store house
>NanoPi in the middle with Ubiquiti UniFi AP on the roof of the living room
>Signal on entire house and backyard, even on the street in front of the house
lel

I really don't wanna go out and buy a separate AP

I understand, the nice thing about the AP its that you can use later on your pfsense build, it will last for years to come but its fine otherwise not getting one, its up to you.

Yeah, I'll be buying one in the future, but for now paying $150 is more than I really wanna spend. Do you have any recommendations?

>So would the Linksys E8450 be a good fit?
I guess so, it's also supported according to the website.

The thing about diy routers is that wifi support is pretty garbage, only qualcomm based cards can do AP mode and it's often buggy as hell. I get used Cisco AP's on ebay for 30 bux for a low cost diy application.

Then go for the Linksys E8450, it will be fine for the next 2 years like you said. I still have one Archer C7 with OpenWRT, it was working fine until i upgrade to the NanoPi and the Unifi AP. I recommend easily the C7, i have 600/300 and never had a problem with it, just wanted more power and flexibility, thats why i went to the custom way.

Is OpenWRT simple? I can read docs and copy paste commands but what I don't want is instability. How simple is flashing and getting a working SSID?

>Is OpenWRT simple?
the interface? very simple and probably cleaner than some stock default interfaces
the "hardest" part is flashing, "hardest" because it varies according to each device

5 minutes you can get him installed with both wan and lan working and also running adblock if you want to. theres plenty youtube videos nowadays on this subject, dont worry about it, the only fear its getting a power loss in the middle of the firmware installation, once its finished, its all straight forward.

build ur own, theres nothing special in routers that you cant just put on a chink mobo urself

gl-inet.com/products/gl-ax1800/
Got it last week, so far it's good. Comes with OpenWRT, with both a simplified interface and luci.
It's not crazy fast as I hoped but on AC mode about 40ft away and one floor above it I'm getting 85mbps versus 50mbps with my Archer C7.