*is the future of application distribution in you're path*

>*is the future of application distribution in you're path*

Attached: 1630757695873.png (300x300, 44.25K)

I've literally never used this shit or seen anyone use it. Isn't there like one distro that uses it?

It's a good way to get newer version of a program if you're on a stable distro like say, Debian.

Does it even have a Flatpak for Zig? How does it keep it up to date?

Only reason to use it is to have as much sandboxing for gross nonfree shit as reasonably possible. That's all I use it for. Biggest gaping hole will always be X11 access though. Ideally wayshit fully removes it soon.

It's only a very tiny fraction as established as containers which CAN run single binaries. I question if containers won't also simply take up this space sooner or later.

You sound like an old man refusing to use a computer because it's a thing made by satan.
Get with the times.

it's better than (((snaps))) that's for sure

Transsexuals are hugely over represented in the computer space. How is this not proof that it was invented by the devil to corrupt mankind?

I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but any time I'd run a sandboxed env thru snaps, it would be extremely slow. Never had that issue with AppImage or Flatpak

Sandboxing is the main issue with Flatpaks (and the other similar alternatives too). It would be a lot better of a user experience if the applications were not sandboxed by default and instead allowed the user to do so on their own if they want that. Too many times when using Flatpaks do you try to open a file on your system to realize that the package maintainer sandboxed the filesystem access so you can't just open a file anywhere on your computer.

I could also complain about the theming ignoring your system theme, but it seems that overall theming applications is on the way out.

Give me a singe, solitary, good reason why.

Decentralized and completely Free Software, unlike shitty snaps.

snap
>snapcraft has 5 times the amount of apps flathub offers
>world-class tools and utilities published and maintained by the authors themselves
>supported by industry leaders
>proper support for cli apps
>don't need to worry about security holes because they plug themselves without requiring user input

flatsak
>appeals to radicalized freetroons and their emotions
>permission management is a nightmare
>[Note: This is a community package that is not officially supported. Report bugs through linked issue tracker. Published by [420]xXx-Astolfo-xXx

appimage
>it's dead Jim

Snap won. Say it.

>slow
>less software than Flatpak
>no sandboxing
>has a history of security holes

>snapd.service is running
ngmi, you just gave me the keys to your kingdom

What? Snaps are truly sandboxed unlike flatpaks, on which is optional.
I agree with the rest.

>Isn't there like one distro that uses it?
i've rarely seen it used outside of trannies on twitter trying to push software vendors to use it for no apparent benefit at all.

>>
> why?
>>
every single time.
>I question if containers won't also simply take up this space sooner or later.
there's no question about it. there's plenty of duplication going on, you just don't see it so easily. it gets to a point where it takes less space to just install the software and dependencies into your operating system.

The permissions are sometimes shit but I agree that it's great. Just use flatseal to allow apps access to all files in your home folder(and any otger folder you store memes in) or drag and dropping files won't work.
Also on arch you need to install xdg-desktop-portal-gtk in addition to the xdg-desktop-portal for your WM. I had to figure that out the hard way

bloat

fedora