/jrg/ - Job Rant General

just need to get through this week Edition

previous

Attached: file.png (541x294, 239.91K)

I am a police dispatcher uwu
99.99999% of my calls are inane bullshit. If it is an "emergency" call it turns out not actually being a real one most of the time.

Every now and then though. You get *that* kind of call. The one that is gonna make you question everything and depress you for the week. The call that makes emergency responders go drink and beat their wives.

I got one of those on Monday. It was a rainy day and kind of cold. We were short staffed in the dispatch room. The only light in there comes from the desktop monitors, each station has 8 of them. I'm sitting at the desk drinking a chamomile tea when a call comes in.

Now be aware that when you dial 911 it comes up to us as an emergency. If you call our non-emergency number then I still get the call but it has a different look on the interface.

This one came up as a non-emergency. So I answer non-chalant.
>Police, this is [dispatcher], how can I help you?
I listened and a child's voice started speaking in a monotone way.
>My mommy is sick

I'm thinking it's strange that a kid dialed the non-emergency, but whatever it happens.
>Is your mom there? Can I talk to her?
I start hearing some sniffs from the line but otherwise no confirmation that the kid heard me. In the background I can hear some clanking like beer bottles tumbling in a trash can.

>Hey you there? Do you know where you live?
After asking that the kid starts whispering.
>Daddy said not to call but Mrs. Allison said to anyway if mommy is sick
Okay weird, but whatever dumb kid, I continue the questioning.
>Who is Mrs. Allison? Do you know your address?
The kid lit up a bit when I said the name he told me.
>Mrs Allison is my teacher!

Okay at least he seems more cheerful now.
>Okay, what is YOUR name?
>I'm Nathan, and I go to school at [school]
The kid seemed to like school. But still hadn't got an address. Which is the most important part of any call.

Suddenly Nathan blurts out.
>Daddy killed mommy.

Attached: MlsoPN.jpg (1200x800, 125.25K)

jesus christ

It takes something special to stun a police dispatcher. But that did it for me, I've never had a call go from zero to 100 that quick.
>W...what did you say Nathan? He killed your mom?
At this point I am waving at the other dispatcher and having them start the cell ping so we can get a location.
>Said if she didn't stop then she had to go. She didn't stop so she had to go...
Kid was starting to lose.it a bit now probably from verbalizing the trauma so I try to steer things back on track.

>She is going to be okay Nathan
(I'm sorry for lying to you kid...)
>Where do you live so we can come and help your mom?
He eventually managed to get us his address. It can take a while to ping a phone, it is not a quick thing so I recommend you always have a location before calling dispatch.

When our guys got there they found Nathan in his bedroom playing with some toys. The mother was shot several times in the face and chest. Father had a gunshot to the heart, obvious murder/suicide. That kid is going to have that traumatic event in their head forever, hopefully he has family to stay with. Just a cruddy situation.

I just want this fucking week to end. I need to drink and get away from it all for a while. Thanks for reading my blog post it helps me decompress.

Attached: About-Us-Dispatch-Monitors-dept-police.jpg (1200x800, 146.47K)

Damn, if it’s not a larp you made my wagie life seem like kindergarten

Attached: 0106BF21-2325-4A97-A3DE-EF6C98ABDACD.jpg (750x750, 128.15K)

Meh, dispatchers get good benefits and a cushy work environment. As long as you can handle the unending human misery in the world it's not so bad.

it's okay bro you gonna make it

You should reflect that despite the yawning abyss of human misery that most of us do everything we can to not look into, some people are still willing to stand on the precipice and attempt to pull people from it, even if it's in a small way or just a single link in a chain.

Finally, a thread I can believe is as a bitter Technical Support Engineer that has been lied to in the past 3 jobs to not move forward with my life.

Going to do a bootcamp in a short bit and will be nailing web dev jobs this time next year.

Hope to leave you bitches in the dust, or at least hope that you shitheads join me too to escape the monotony of it all.

For reference:
> First adtech job: Lied to that I could move into 'Development', saw some black girl with a literal liberal arts degree get into QA --> Senior QA in a matter of a year's span, left that stupid shit behind
> Support job at a boomer tier Windoze based company: A bit more exposure, but it was going nowhere after 2 years without any shot to move up
> Support job at a cybersecurity startup company: Now this job was a shit show, literally entire team was Tyrones except me, and only 1 guy knew what he was doing. Way too networking heavy, and my actual boss was an incompetent moron who couldn't manage to save his life (despite being a decent networking guy)
> Current cybersecurity support job: Pay is good, team is good, manager is good, but I know I'm being lied to in terms of 'growth' --> Only a single Pajeet moved from Support to Engineering = fuck that lying bullshit.

Let's make it happen bros, and fucking leave em in the dust!

Maybe if every job you go to there is someone trying to fuck you over it's you.

wtf
how do I unread?

Really? What qualifications do you need for it? Seems comfty plus I'm a pscyopath

High school, most dispatch centers are hurting for people who can do basic multi-tasking and can speak and type in fluent white English.

Most have you do a little test on a computer that shows if you can handle the job itself, very easy for people who play video games. It was made for boomers.

>plus I'm a pscyopath
you're just a LARPer

>What qualifications do you need for it?
Just need to not be a psychopath

Nice. Would like a career shift from pharmacy tech + studying for certs. At least with this I have more time for certs. Thanks user

Actually I think a psychopath / sociopath would do alright at performing the job. You need to focus on facts and not show emotion on the phone. A psychopath wouldn't have any emotion.

Then again your officers are probably gonna be sketched by you and second guess everything you say because you're a crazy whacko.

Umm, you're gonna be making like $45k a year + government benefits you know that right? Pharmacy tech pays way better.

> Fill out pills
> Deal with drunks and pain addicted retards
> Always be on your feet
Plus having free time would enable me to get certs
Eh, I can fake emotions. I did it when I pretended to feel bad about kicking my junkie brother, I can do it again

Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that I teared up a bit.

I feel for you man. I just prayed for you to help you get another job man.

I don't know if it helps, but the closest I ever came to death type situations was when I was doing an AmeriCorps Healthcorps job in NYC, up in Harlem working in a health testing van.

Saw some black kid shoot some woman in the knees for her purse.
> Kid looks up at me in the eyes
> I raise my hands up and notion "Just run dude, do whatever you want to do" with my eyes
> Dude takes one look at runs off
> Ask woman nearby, "This shit happens all the time, why can't these kids ever learn to stop robbing people for shit that ain't there's"

Grateful to never be working in NY, and never will live there ever again.

Very good point. Would be true 5 years ago, but I actually realized this Boomer piece of advice:
--> Never believe your boss or any job that promises to 'promote within'
--> Just job swap until you're happy, or get the degree / qualifications to move forward with whatever you want

Wat? Pharm techs make just as much or less and don't get government benefits

My brother just burned out from being a Pharmacy Tech, and is job hunting.

I would say, never work in a retail pharmacy again. The shit he told me that people got away with, or the bullshit he has had to deal with always had me going WTF on the phone during my calls with him.

I am sorry man but someone has to do it otherwise the kid would have just been left there

> about to finish cs degree with 0 internships despite applying for months and months

> got filtered on Amazon interview because they don't let you copy and paste, but the design question is literally just a billion if else's that I had to do by hand so I ran out of time and couldn't fix a segfault that was really easy to fix but I type too slow I guess

> made it to the final round of a remote job doing exactly what I'm interested that pays 120k a year, but rejected because I can't start full time till the summer

> a million rejections in my inbox every morning

I can't imagine how bad it is for non engineering adjacent majors, given that CS is supposed to be the cushy one.

>work in infosec
>last few years I just do compliance pen tests of web apps that don't need to be tested
>the web apps are all the same cloud data analytics app it feels like
>research budget and time were cut so I could do more pen tests for the sales guys to make more money
>can barely get myself to function anymore I am more bored and depressed
>can't very easily become a dev because I haven't done dev work in years

learn 2 code

if you can pentest(actual pentesting, not metasploit skidding) dev work should be laughably easy

Shit man. That sucks, being involved in a robbery like that is scary.

Why didn't you accept that full time?

I can pentest.
and kind of. I haven't built software on a team in years so I couldn't tell you how to use kubernetes, or docker to deploy things.
I can write code well but probably not on a team, I am just out of touch with software engineering and best practices and a lot of this is probably a confidence issue but I'm kinda old to not be a senior dev too.

Maybe I want to keep my hobby and job separate.

I expected this to lead up to a joke. Fuck you, also sorry but not as sorry as I am for that kid

>> made it to the final round of a remote job doing exactly what I'm interested that pays 120k a year, but rejected because I can't start full time till the summer
user YOU FUCK WHY DID YOU SAID THAT. JUST DO IT WHILE YOUR IN SCHOOL OR IF SOMETHING ELSE CAME TRY YOUR BEST. WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF.
> > got filtered on Amazon interview because they don't let you copy and paste, but the design question is literally just a billion if else's that I had to do by hand so I ran out of time and couldn't fix a segfault that was really easy to fix but I type too slow I guess
Mine was easy. I spent 40 minutes asking questions, and 20 mintues coding.
> > a million rejections in my inbox every morning
Put in you do freelance development
He's a faggot. This is his logic (or at least, my guess)
> I'm in school by then
> I have full time classes
> Somehow, I can't accept some Ls with school just to have comfty job
I hope I'm wrong

>"This shit happens all the time, why can't these kids ever learn to stop robbing people for shit that ain't there's"
they could earn more at mcdonalds so I concluded they just like doing robberies. it's cool. It's like the tide pod challenge but it goes on for many years.

Hey man, honestly, it made me grow a bit that day. If I remember correctly, it was towards the end of my second year of AmeriCorps, and I literally debating jumping into the train tracks every day because the commute from middle Queens from my shitty room I rented 2 hours away was making me miserable, more so since I wasn't getting calls back for any jobs that could pay my rent.

At that time, I was literally paid $15k for the entire year, and only had $200 in my bank account at the end of every month after expenses were paid. Did that for 2 years.

Needless to say, at the end of the very end of it, I got lucky by applying to a shit ton of Quality Assurance jobs at a hospital, and got it. Left that program early too just so I can get an actual working job like I wanted.

Not sure if this helps any Zoomers out there, but do whatever it takes to get the job. I've been on phone interviews in Barnes & Noble, in a fucking work staircase, etc, just so I could make sure I sounded pro and to prevent weather conditions from getting in the way. Fuck, even my wife has stated that she's used a conference room within her current job for an phone interview with her next job lol.

Hope that helps man. Thanks for caring, but trust me, I want most of you to succeed more than you know.