/fat/ - Friendly Apple Thread ()

>Hackintosh
Wiki: wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Forums: insanelymac.com/forum/

>Ryzentosh
AMD Vanilla OpenCore: github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla/
OpenCore 0.6.9 - VMware Workstation 16 - AMD Ryzen: github.com/Ken5998/OpenCore-VMware-Workstation-AMD

>New to Mac OS?
Q&A Website: apple.stackexchange.com
Download a better terminal: iterm2.com
Terminal for beginners: makeuseof.com/tag/beginners-guide-mac-terminal/
Comprehensive terminal guide: swcarpentry.github.io/shell-novice/

>Package Managers
MacPorts: macports.org/install.php
Homebrew: brew.sh/
Fink: finkproject.org
Nix: wickedchicken.github.io/post/macos-nix-setup/

>If you come from a UNIX background
Note that Vim, microEmacs, and Nano come out of the box for editing files. To run programs using X, you need to install XQuartz (recommend way is through MacPorts).

>Useful Mac OS commands
setapp.com/how-to/show-hidden-files-on-mac
chriswrites.com/how-to-disable-virtual-memory-in-os-x/
osxdaily.com/2015/05/04/disable-gatekeeper-command-line-mac-osx/

>Assorted list of Mac OS tools
MacsFanControl: crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
The Unarchiver: apps.apple.com/us/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353
Amphetamine: apps.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704
BetterTouchTool: folivora.ai/
Yabai: github.com/koekeishiya/yabai
Rectangle: github.com/rxhanson/Rectangle

>iPhone / iPad Jailbreak
checkra.in/ (iPhone 5s - iPhone X, iOS 12.0+)
theodyssey.dev/ (iOS 13.0 - 13.7)
unc0ver.dev/ (iOS 11.0 - 14.3)

>iPhone / iPad Sideloading
altstore.io/

>The Wiki **WORK IN PROGRESS**
friendlyapple.miraheze.org/

>Other Resources
For vintage (m68k, PowerPC) devices, check out our friends at
and For iPods check out

Attached: Apple_logo_black.svg.png (1000x1229, 20.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-on-macos?view=powershell-7.2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Still on an old version of MacOS, should I upgrade to Monterey?

Bump

I'm on 10.13.6 and I don't think about updating

Well firstly there's the fact that old versions aren't getting security updates, but also there's the fact that Homebrew doesn't support these old versions anymore, and I think that's why it's always compiling stuff when I install it. Whereas if I upgraded then I could just download a binary without needing to compile.

Because, I should add, Homebrew keeps giving me this message how it doesn't support Mojave (which I'm on) and I should upgrade. So I think that's why it keeps compiling stuff, because it doesn't provide binaries for Mojave.

Planning to get an ipad pro M1 12.9" 256GB to get hand notes at university with the pencil. Should i pull the trigger or there is something that i should know before buying it?

How the dick can I burn a bootable OS 9 image in debian?

unless you insist on the size and the mini-led-display, get the new ipad air for basically the exact same experience.

i can't imagine taking notes on an ipad
t. ipad pro + pencil owner

has anyone here moved from windows + android to macos + android recently? i want to know how hard is it to "start over" after spending years and years on windows, how steep is the learning curve and how long did it take you to get comfortable with the system?

i also want to know is there a ms office alternative for mac? does it come preinstalled or do you have to buy it? can i edit file made in ms word and when i send it back will the person with ms word be able to open/edit the same file?

i know there is ms office for mac, but i dont want to do anything with MS ever again

Attached: 1630408354398.jpg (1500x750, 63.54K)

Is there a package manager for ios?
I have an iphone 6s on 14.0.1 that I plan to use as a minecraft server (probably cuberite).

Also, is there any way to have a desktop like experience on ios?

Cydia, if you jailbreak.

get a cheap iphone too imo, the new iphone SE is a bit over 400 dollars, and the integration between macos and iOS is way better than android and windows or linux, macos and android wont be great either. I've been windows for most of my life, then used windows at home and MacOS for school, and then windows, mac and linux for a couple of years before finally moving onto only linux. In the end I decided to get an m1 air as well and its a joy to use, would never switch back to windows ever. If i ever need to use a windows application I'll do it over VFIO on linux. MacOS is like linux but less janky, much better for laptop use imo, but on desktops im sticking to linux.

i already had iphone, but i didnt like it at all and quickly switched back. i guess today it doesnt even matter that much that you have iphone if you use mac because internet is so much faster and phones have a lot of memory. i cant even remember when is the last time i didnt use cloud for those sort of things

Bump

>learning curve
the system is designed with low IQ niggers and cripples in mind (source: apple marketing), how steep do you think the fucking curve is? there is practically none if you havent lived in a cave for the last 30 years

macOS has its own free office suite and it just werks

Your fault for not using a real package manager. MacPorts has prebuilt packages for even 10.5 PowerPC.

I've never tried MacPorts, maybe I should try it, but Homebrew is basically the standard for MacOS these days. You go to the site of most software these days and it says to use Homebrew. Even Microsoft refer to Homebrew as the standard package manager for MacOS:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-on-macos?view=powershell-7.2

everyone using something doesnt make it automatically good. and homebrew has less packages than macports

wrong board currynigger

Attached: 1630809977764.jpg (643x960, 237.92K)