Asahi Linux Alpha Released

…for M1 Macs.

asahilinux.org/

How To:

youtu.be/lcmmwugTF3U

Attached: AC2520BD-2519-47AF-B38A-6D47CC97EF28.png (225x225, 3.63K)

nice, but im still sticking with mac os

Wow can't wait to use a linux distro with buggy drivers and minimal support of the graphics hardware

Sounds like a worthwhile project
Here is what doesn't [work]

Attached: 1648036570840.png (1334x2048, 307.47K)

aaahahahah

Well it is an Alpha release.

It is based on Arch, and as we all know Arch is for faggots and pedophiles, so I will stick with heterosexual white man’s OS: macOS.

Attached: BDAD7170-AD9C-4BC8-870B-BAD654D7A852.jpg (828x1792, 82.35K)

all to end up with a less optimized, more buggier distro than OSX (UNIX based, daily reminder you only lose by using a distro on a mac)

the
>with buggy drivers and minimal support of the graphics hardware
part was redundant once you wrote "linux".

Do you understand who the Alpha release is for?

coping?

>UNIX based
No macfag who gloats about this actually takes advantage of it and knows how much it sucks as a Unix
>yeah I enjoy having eight different versions of Python installed

>sucks as a Unix
Suckage is inherent to Unix.

No, it’s not meant to be a duly driver, that’s the goal, but it isn’t there yet. This release is for developers. I think you may be retarded. Get yourself checked out man

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
>some day it'll be ready for daily use
>two more weeks

who made that logo? looks so awful.

They've gotten pretty far in a year considering they're dealing with hardware that's completely alien to Linux. Most of the big ticket missing features like sleep, the DCP, the MacBook speakers, the GPU, etc. are in progress. Macs were well supported by Linux once and there's no reason to think they won't be again.

Attached: file.png (475x1127, 90.33K)

Is some idiot paying these people developers salaries to work on this or are they doing it for free?

Marcan is getting paid to work on it full time through Patreon and GitHub donations. As far as I can tell, everyone else doing it as a hobby.

I have a m1 from work and installed it. Extremely half assed and broken. Barely anything works. Went back to my standard GNU/Linux thinkpad.

>completely alien to Linux.
No it's not. M1 is not really that different on the SoC level from a typical ARM SoC. It's the proprietary accelerator bits, including the GPU, that are problematic, which is also the case on other ARM SoCs. There is a reason almost every ARM smartphone is full of proprietary drivers. That's why Android "ROMs" are almost exclusively using the original vendor-supplied kernel.

>yeah I enjoy having eight different versions of Python installed
virtualenv for python
rbenv for ruby
nvm for node
gvm for go
and many such cases, are you a noob?

>t. 15 years of exp lead dev working at a major gaming company, having used linux "for desktop" professionally for ~5 years

>virtualenv for python
Virtualenv is not for having different versions of Python, but for having multiple environments with different packages installed.
Pyenv is for multiple versions of Python, and pyenv-virtualenv is a combination of both.
>>t. 15 years of exp lead dev working at a major gaming company, having used linux "for desktop" professionally for ~5 years
Gotta get more years, Mr. "Developer".