Was it really that bad?

Was it really that bad?

Attached: 8.1 start screen.jpg (1920x1080, 354.59K)

Yes.

Yes it was. Completely covering your desktop just to open the start """""menu""""" was retarded.

i really liked it at first, but looking back and realising 90% of its on-screen time was when id hit start, type the name of a lrogram and hit enter. once i learned this i was already on ubuntu with gnome and it made me ditch arcmenu for rofi, since i already know what programs i have installed and i just need to type the name to run it

i still enjoy the start menu, especially the windows 8.1 and 10 ones, unironically. but i dont personally have much use for the except for pleasing my austism brain with habing neat boxes in neat categories for everything i have installed. that i never click on. like having posters up in your room, but for software, and you only see it when you hit start.

Yeah. Granted you could right click the start menu button to get to stuff like the control panel without having to use this monstrosity.

But you get to look at funny moving tiles :DDD

Attached: photos tile.png (101x104, 21.52K)

it wasnt that bad, but it was dumb. i legitimately tried to use it for a month before i installed classic start

It wasn't better than what it tried to replace. So it was a just waste of everyone's time.

Attached: 1636690456714.png (599x372, 459.56K)

Nope. Used it for a few years at work and home. I did end up downgrading to 7 though because of some fickle software.

It was pretty annoying but I never really understood the autists who were seething so much about it. In retrospect, windows 8.1 was pretty good imho.

They used a touchscreen mobile OS for a desktop.

I was a fan of Windows 8.x. I never understood the hatred.

So does gnome, what's your point?

yes, absolutely

It was fantastic for phones and tablets. I have both and still prefer it over Android and iOS. But the market share of Metro phone and tablet users to desktop users was miniscule, so the vast majority of Metro users hated it.

Windows 8 was fucking awful
Windows 8.1 was pretty good
The tiles really had a lot of SOVL on mobile, but it just didnt translate well to desktop.

8.1 mogged 7

I will never u derstand why Windows thinks we want to see "news" on our desktop. This makes no sense at all why are they trying so hard to shove that in our face??? Same shit with edge start page!!!

To a lesser extent, why create these retarded thematic shortcuts "games" "photos" nobody uses these everyone creates their own custom folders why are they trying so hard to force the user experience it is infuriating!!!!

Because normies don't customize, but it impresses the normies, so it's on by default. Power users can simply unpin them, but normies will keep them around forever.

Yes.
The start page should've just outright replaced the desktop.
But that would've been too ballsy of a move.

No.