What do we ACTUALLY think about Arch Linux?

what do we ACTUALLY think about Arch Linux?
be brutally honest

Attached: arch.png (1200x1200, 73.18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/Teams/Community
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first you post neofetch side by side with this thread

What do WE think?
WE?!
No OP, let me tell you what YOU think about Arch linux:

It has an A1 package manager
Beautiful rolling release
Extensive documentation

YOU VILL INSTALL ZE ARCH LINUX DISTRIBUTION, UND YOU VILL BE HAPPY.

Attached: 1642993249279.jpg (639x614, 98.17K)

i don't care about what Any Forums thinks about it, to be honest, since everything in here is a meme anyway. for me, arch is easily the best distro available, along with debian. if you get to know it, you'll get a lot in return
>very straightforward package manager
>AUR
>rolling release perks
>first hand knowledge about how linux works, if you install it manually
>lightweight and fast
>huge community and wiki

i don't care if it's a nerd tranny ricer distro, it's the best at what it does

Most barebones "distro" (God I hate that fucking word with a passion) you'll get while still being easy enough to install and maintain in comparison to the alternatives (KISS Linux, LFS, etcetera).

>wiki
>extremely fast package manager
>reasonable kernel config
>maintainers are not retards
>fucking AUR
-
>package manager is extremely minimalistic
>(related to previous) missing a manual intervention may fuck you up good
>manual installation is tricky, especially if you have little knowledge of how gnu/linux "werks" just at the edge of userspace
and yes, I'm aware that the official install script is back, but compared to e.x. Fedora's or Debian's ones - it's shit, manual installation is more suitable for most users
>using AUR is risky, I doubt most of us read every pkgbuild carefully
>packages from official repos are tested superficially
>Any Forums users are kinder than arch forum members

installed it as my first distro thinking it'd force me to learn the ropes and whatnot
terrible idea
pacman is cool though
what's wrong with the word distro

The best Linux distro, hands down.

Simple, minimal, good package manager, rolling release (good for desktops imo), AUR.
It is very nice, I like it. That is my BRUTALLY honest take

its comfy and has a lot of great resources imo

tpbp

Bloated packages

>what's wrong with the word distro
he has aspergers

It's nice and practical.
and the Arch Build System is quite nice and easy to use for me. Very simple to customise an official repo package like the kernel or create your own package. I have a lot of custom packages and I build them on my home server which serves a repo to my desktop and laptop.

My favorite distro, lightweight and powerful. AUR is comfy too. Only issue I run into is when I boot it up after months of not touching it and everything is broken and trying to update just results in too many errors that I just reinstall instead.

assburgers?

Not better than DEBIAN BVLL. It just werks, Arch is CANCER.

Attached: debian.jpg (830x472, 26.45K)

>Arch is CANCER.
says the guy who uses a distro infested with SJWs

Attached: spwn8mb6kve71.jpg (666x539, 42.66K)

I like it but I hate it as a main system, I use Fedora and like to use Arch on distrobox, Arch always ends up breaking itself at some point.

autistic ricel distro

it just werks
for 8+ years

Why Fedore? it looks ugly and what Fedora can do better than GNU/Linux BVLL?

Attached: meditate.png (1280x1112, 499.95K)

>every second thread
>what does Any Forums think of...
>what do we think of...
>what is the Any Forums approved...
But normies and Redditors are the hive-minded NPCs, honest.

Attached: 1540628674924.png (800x1100, 528.46K)

my favorite OS. most people that use it probably shouldnt and they're only turned onto it because it's a meme to normalfags or something. the one time (and last time) i ever mentioned arch in person it was noted that i pulled an 'i use arch btw'. i hope some gamerfag distro comes out that actually works so people can stop recommending arch and manjaro to beginners for some reason

>just werks
You’re just the Linux version of a macfag cope

arch was basically my first real foray into linux and it was fine
if you know how to read and can learn, it's easy as fuck to get into

average

Kek
wiki.debian.org/Teams/Community

it was mine too, but i'm also not and wasn't a gamer 12yo. i'm not saying it's that hard to install it's just an OS philosophy that doesn't benefit most people in the way they've been sold it will. when Xorg kills my system again inevitably i'll be able to fix it but someone who just thinks arch = best gamer drivers isn't going to fare well

but xorg never killed the system

I recently installed it after getting fed up with Windows 11 and have really liked using it so far. I've come across a bunch of issues, but have been able to solve every single one via the help of the wiki and some searching. I have muh gaymes working, I solved not being able to mount NTFS partitions with the new ntfs3 system, I've installed paru and a few AUR packages and just had my first kernel update earlier which went completely smoothly and didn't even nuke the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

I decided to go with KDE after trying several DEs via Ventoy and am really impressed with it. I've always hated KDE in the past for being such a confusing, bloated mess. With a minimal install of it in Arch without all the bundled crapware and with the improvements they've made, it's awesome.

I said I didn't like Arch as my main distro, I use Fedora just because I hardly ever update, and it doesn't need to. It works great. I don't think "I should update" ever. I don't even care about looks, it works with whatever spin you choose, I pick XFCE.
However, it sucks for servers, I'd rather use Debian/Ubuntu based distros, Linux Mint has never disappointed me on a server.
Arch is not stable nor reliable, it did break once when I needed to get an important file, never again.
Still, I encourage its use whenever possible, just be mindful to never depend on Arch as your main system or at least, have a backup system in case Arch fails.

if you decided to switch why would you keep using NTFS it performs awfully on linux

my arch server is very stable
never had an issue with it

How do you handle updates on an Arch server? My only concern with running Arch on something like that is if it's unattended I won't have good supervision over the updates, or even be able to invoke updates often enough to keep it going.
As far as I'm aware Arch has no support for and actively discourages automated updates.