/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1647684910072.png (1024x768, 1.25M)

/bin/cp

What's the story behind both bin and sbin symlinking to usr/bin? On that note, lib and lib64 to usr/lib?

Does anyone have a script to rename all files in the current dir to .?
I had a script that did this (thanks to some user) but I lost it with an old backup.

I'm digging the archives but can't find something similar. One, for example, uses sha1sums, which means I can't re-run the script to get a different name.

i just bought a chromebook bc i got an extremely good deal on one. i highly anticipate restoring some functionality through the integrated linux vm (gparted and rufus etc.). does someone know how well that might work?

(((freedesktop.org))) brain damage

void linux

First for

• Fedora is the new Ubuntu
• snap is dead
• KDE Plasma is a buggy mess
• Steam's proton made gaming on Linux viable
• There's nothing wrong with nvidia drivers unless you're retarded
• XFCE is the best DE
• mpv > vlc
• grub2 is good

>void linux

Attached: 1582726102306.jpg (640x590, 34.75K)

>void linux

Attached: Voidpozzed.jpg (597x829, 68.21K)

look how they seethe

As a new linux user who just installed Arch and took him 2 days on a VM with a lot of handholding from kind anons.
Should I just install a DE or spend the extra time to install a window manager and other tools like all the cool people?

the /usr merge stuff has been going on for donkey's years. /bin and /usr/bin only ever got split in the first place because back in the 1970s V7 overflowed a single disk, the second disk was /usr (which stood for "user", it was what we now use /home for) so they just swiped some extra space for more programs. At that time /bin had to have everything needed to bring up the system far enough to be able to mount /usr, among other things.

so in other words they're trying to undo some historical complexity that came about because the FHS wasn't really thought out so much as it evolved.

$ cat /bin/cat
cat: /bin/cat: No such file or directory

mktemp is ez and ensures no name clobbering
find -type f -print0 | while read -d $'\0' i; do mv -f "$i" "$(mktemp XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX."${i##*.}")"; done

Very nice. Thank you!

Personally I would make my daily driver home pc as easy to use as possible. install a DE with a WM. I've fallen in love with gnome and its horizontal keyboard based workflow. It's fast.

How can I make every directory under /usr/local/bin be added to $PATH?

>• Fedora is the new Ubuntu
Why do you say this? Because you hate snaps and therefore you want a new "default" distro?

because ubuntu's release model is retarded and makes it a broken hodgepodge of old and new. Fedora now is the new default out-of-the-box just werks distro. It's the simply has the best balance of being current and stability. I don't hate snaps, flatpak is just better and ubuntu is stuck in the past because of their shit model. Fedora also changed to pipewire and wayland before ubuntu, and it was a first to support LVFS for hardware support, driver support is just better.

tldr ubuntu in it's quest to stay the most stable is now old and busted. it's a boomer distro.

How do I check the size of a file transferred with FTP in wireshark? I'm seeing the frame size but I don't think that's the same thing as the file size (it might be if the file is small enough to be transferred in a single packet, but that seems deceiving since a packet would have info other than the file itself).