Get first job as a developer

>get first job as a developer
>it's about maintaing an already existing codebase for the company's product.
>spend most of the day solving bugs and making small changes instead of doing actual development.
Is this supposed to be normal or have I been duped?

Attached: 1623887453720.jpg (502x543, 45.54K)

sounds comfy to me.
total comp?
How many hours a day do you actually work?

Dude, sounds comfy. Fuck working hard, I wanna fuck around all day and get paid. Which I do but then I have to rush to get work done at the end of when shit is due
This

>Is this supposed to be normal
Did you think you'd be writing new stuff on literally your first job? That only happens at "tech" companies that have hired some guy to do the job of 12 people.

No, I have to be on call when the deployment shitters mess up since I'm supposed to be incharge of that particular part of the product. Most of the time, it's something as dumb as a deprecated API version being used or the wrong database being connected.

Yes, thats a large part of software jobs. If you want to work on new projects you should join a consultancy company. Did you not fix any bugs when you were working on school projects?

Most "development" jobs are like this.

>Is this supposed to be normal or have I been duped?
"duped" may not be the right word unless you were expecting to be writing new code all the time. I'd say 95% of development is going back and fixing edge cases or adding a new feature to an existing codebase

>Most of the time, it's something as dumb as a deprecated API version being used or the wrong database being connected.

if you're solving this by hand more than a couple times then i'm afraid you may have ended up in the wrong field.

so look for and anticipate those issues, deal with them proactively before they crop up, or invent your own issues you'll know how to solve at a later time.

Just look busy and be capable when you're needed. wtf where do you work so I can take your role

Not always, I was creating new projects and new features from the start for my first (and current) job.

Attached: NASA_logo.svg.png (532x646, 45.5K)

Any vault-7 activation keys sir?

>Gets entry level job
>Doesn't get why he doesn't get to do the work of a senior developer

Nobody lets some low level first day just slightly better than an intern schmuck like you write code, lol.

Never heard of it.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY AM I NOT MAKING 250K AND CODING LARGE BIG SCALE SYSTEMS AS A JUNIOR DEVELOPER AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED UNDER TRUMP

Bruh it's so cozy when that's all you do. Solve bug (takes 2 hours), spend the rest of the day doing whatever. Peak comfy. When you're working on new user stories with deadlines etc. it's absolutely assholish.

Being on call isn't comfy at all

>first job
>maintaing an already existing codebase
>Is this supposed to be normal
Yes
>or have I been duped?
No
Welcome to the field. You have to go
>get familiar with the codebase
>get to know how things are handled around
>understand your code is a tiny fraction in a whole team
>there are people with more experience on the team to take new developments
Grow up in the good sense

Pretty much my job, I do new features as well but bugs and updates take priority. Some of the design is circa 2008 so just switching shit from synchronous to async is making my bosses happy.

that sounds amazing what's your problem

his problem is he made it up

for the vast majority of people, yes this is average.