Looking for a floating window manager that is ACTIVE (unlike openbox) is AwesomeWM a good choice...

Looking for a floating window manager that is ACTIVE (unlike openbox) is AwesomeWM a good choice? I heard it can be used as tilling and floating, basically a hybrid. feel free to drop some recommendations.

Attached: file.png (200x200, 1.72K)

Awesomewm is based and perfect for beginners, DWM is lightweight but harder fo beginners, i3 is good for beginners but is only a tiling wm

>that is ACTIVE
Why? Why have change for the sake of change?

i honestly find dwm easier to understand than awesome, lua is a fucking chore

on the Linux desktop you must keep up with Gnome tech

ICEWM

Attached: 32042698-002e773c-ba6b-11e7-8e6a-29da6f910ec2.png (1920x1080, 2.02M)

awesome is stable, hardly changing now, version 4.4 (git) likely coming out soon
Get the git version, since it's different to the current 4.3 stable
Some people like to use it as-is, other modify the fuck out of it

This is the correct answer. No other stacking WM beats IceWM. The themes are very "old school" but it's easy to make your own themes.

lua sucks but once you get a basic framework to work with it's easy to maintain

Which WMs would guys call the biggest ones (in terms of popularity and contribution)?

lee... you have such a hot name bro... SHOW ME YOUR ASSHOLE!!! NOW!!!

i3 and dwm are the two most popular, if that's what you're asking.
they both have big communities, lots of results on google, and they are time-proven to be stable
those are both tiling WMs, you didn't specify which type

I see, basically I'm looking for something I can use without the devs going MIA and leaving me orphan, unlike a random software a WM is as important as your OS. I was looking for a floating WM with your usual window decorations like in the OP but if there's nothing left I can deal with Tilling windows too.

>ACTIVE (unlike openbox)
what does this even mean
also dwm can be made stricly floating by modifying like 2 lines in the source

Openbox is already complete. Why do you need updates?

>complete
more like complete shit

name 3 bad things about openbox

herbsluftwm is both tiling and floating

>no window snapping
>csd sucks
>retarded xml config

Minor gripes with Openbox

Can't ignore window size increment hints, so some terminals are always sized by character cells instead of pixels. Yeah, this is the fault of the app, but it would still be nice to override.

GTK visuals are borked because CSD headerbars don't fade/dim when unfocused.

Menus can be operated by pressing keys corresponding to the first character in an item label. However, this means that a menu with many items will reuse hotkeys, making navigation slightly more tedious. This can be fixed by manually inserting "_" in the label to mark the next character as the hotkey; but there is no visual indication of which character is marked during menu operation. Ideally, hotkey characters would be underlined, as is standard for most context menus accessed by hotkey in most computer systems.

Of course I still use Openbox because everything else is shit.

it literally has window snapping and you can turn off window decorations, but to do that you need to not be filtered by xml (lmao)

fluxbox