/iemg/ & /pmp/ - In-Ear Monitor & Portable Music Player General

This thread is for the discussion of portable media players and in-ear monitors.

• /iemg/ Recommends HackMD:
hackmd.io/@AyPeeEye/S1sNUVosu

• Extensive PMP Guide:
azalush5.hatenablog.com/entry/2022/01/dap-comparison-2022-01

• Why use a PMP instead of a phone?
>better DAC/AMP
>more output power so it can drive higher impedance headphones
>smaller sizes than phones for activities like exercise
>physical buttons
>headphone jacks
>some people can't use smartphone at work/use dumbphones

• How to request advice:
>Budget
>Source (phone or PMPs)
>Location
>Kind (in-ears or earbuds)
>Sound Signature (or genres you like, important!)
>Past gear and your thoughts on them (important!)

/iemg/ Hall of Fame:
• [Insert meme here]
• CCA CRA (V with good treble extension/VK4 spiritual successor) - 15$
• Tin T3 Plus (Mild V) - 80$
• Etymotic ER2SE/XR ("Reference" Neutral/Bass boosted neutral) - 110$
• Moondrop KATO (Bass-boosted neutral) - 190$
• Moondrop Quarks (katos but cheap and small) - 15$
• Tanchjim Tanya (better quarks with more bass) - 24$
• Tanchjim Hana 2021 (Mini-Oxygen with more bass) - 160$
• 7Hz Timeless (Neutral with bass boost) - 170$
• Tanchjim Oxygen (Mild V) - 270$
• Moondrop Blessing 2/Dusk (Neutral/Bassbosted neutral) - 360$
• [The one that you are using] - ???$

/pmp/ Hall of Fame:
• Your phone
• Hiby R3 Pro / Pro Saber
• Sony NWA-55 + Mr Walkman mod
• Fiio M11+

/USB/BT DAC/ Hall of Fame:
• Tempotec Sonata HD Pro
• e1da 9038s/d
• Qudelix 5K
• CX-Pro Audio 31993

/TWS/ Hall of Fame:
• none
scarbir.com/

IRC:
• #/iemg/ onirc.rizon.net
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#/iemg/

Old thread:

Attached: nekocakewaifu.jpg (790x1188, 304.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

acousticsinsider.com/flat-frequency-response/
audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ER2SE solved IEMs

Go home everybody

nyo...

No waifu on the box = no buy.

No it hasn't, it requires deep insertion which isn't comfortable for everyone and people with a lot of earwax can't use it. While the ER2SE is good when using them with the proper insertion depth, it doesn't even perfectly follow the Etymotic target curve nor any optimum hifi curve compensated DF target. And before you start with muh "it's within the limits", those limits are only there because of physical limitations of speakers in a room which is what most variation limits are based on and not the limits of the differences humans can perceive.
acousticsinsider.com/flat-frequency-response/
audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php

However IEMs could easily be solved for most people with an internal mic to find and automatically EQ out the resonance. The only thing needed then is for the IEM to be well tuned, have inaudible levels of distortion, and have minimal difference in FR with different insertion depths. All of these things should be fairly doable with the currently available technology.
Until then your best option is to measure your own IEMs with the same resonance frequency as when you wear them (this also fixes issues that come from using different tip as measurers and the unit variance between your IEMs and measurers' IEMs), then make and EQ preset based on the produced graph.

It's so easy criticize
Why don't you show us some better alternatives faggot

>Until then your best option is to measure your own IEMs with the same resonance frequency as when you wear them (this also fixes issues that come from using different tip as measurers and the unit variance between your IEMs and measurers' IEMs), then make and EQ preset based on the produced graph.

IEC711 and human ear have different acoustic impedance, pretty bad suggestion

fuck off sharur

It gives you enough of a rough guide line, I usually touch up my EQ presets by ear after first making one based on a measurement. Mostly the treble needs to be EQ'd by ear more than by measurements, but the measurements can still speed up the process.

You're proposing half-measures
You don't have to do any of that with ER2SE
It seems to me you have an irrational hateboner towards Etymotics and are jumping through the hoops to justify using anything but them.

I am using etymotics right now because they work for me, but I understand they are not for everyone. If they are not for everyone then they haven't solved IEMs.

You're erroneously conflating solving IEMs with pleasing everyone. The latter is impossible, as Harman research clearly showed that certain "people" prefer a huge deal of sonic coloration over high fidelity sound reproduction. They are not audiophiles and pleasing them implies creating a sub par product.

don't care, had sex with nekocake waifu

Hmm, makes sense, I can hear the noise floor of CX3whatevr usb dac with the CRAs but my SSR don't pick up on it.

There is a difference between having fit issues because of sensitive ear canals or deep insertion IEMs causing earwax blockages because you have high levels of earwax production or even just being too scared to put anything that deep in your ear and having a preference for sonic coloration. If an IEM is unusable for a large portion of people then I can't say that it has completely solved IEMs. I personally also can't use Etymotics for the amount of time I would like to and usually switch to something with a more shallow insertion + EQ after 1-2 hours when it starts to get a little uncomfortable. Though I do agree that a flat tuning is higher fidelity and that Etymotic has a smart way of fixing the inherent issue of resonances in IEMs.

This is some next level gatekeeping my man

Attached: 1647545270448.jpg (960x576, 137.17K)

I don't like how they sound

Stax were never good
etys are not good

cope

poorfag

cope

poorfag